Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP, please lca bolts suck!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP, please lca bolts suck!

i am goin crazy after honda sent me the wrong bolts i finally got new ones and i cant get the old ones off!!!!!!!!! omg can ANYONE HELP!!!? i cut both nuts off the right bolt and i still cant get it off. someone sugested i drill threw it but i dont think that will work...and i cant cut threw the bushing either, i dont have new bushings and i hear u cant buy them. i dont have money to buy new LCA either, both sides are siezed. i have new KYB AGX and H & R springs waiting...what should i do?
Old 10-20-2002, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HELP, please lca bolts suck! (Ragezero76)

I would reccomend grinding off the head on the back one(one that faces to the rear), and getting a breaker bar and breaking off the nut that is welded to the front side, cut off the piece of the bolt that still remains, pry apart the bracket until you can get the lca out and take the lca to a shop and have them heat it with a torch and hammer the bolt out of the bushing sleeve. Get a new nut and use your new bolt. I have done it before Honda's are notorious for the bolts freezing in the bushings.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:55 AM

Default Re: HELP, please lca bolts suck! (IDriveHonda)

I would reccomend grinding off the head on the back one(one that faces to the rear), and getting a breaker bar and breaking off the nut that is welded to the front side, cut off the piece of the bolt that still remains, pry apart the bracket until you can get the lca out and take the lca to a shop and have them heat it with a torch and hammer the bolt out of the bushing sleeve. Get a new nut and use your new bolt. I have done it before Honda's are notorious for the bolts freezing in the bushings.
Yeah, I had this happen to my car and I was helping him last night to try to get these bolts off his lower control arms in the rear. Using a dremel tool (fried it) and a Milwaukee Sawz-All (flattened two blades), we got the head of the bolt and the nut, which is welded on the other side, sheered off. We tried hammering what was left of the bolt through the assembly with a punch. No use. Also, I am weary about heating it up, because the shocks are apparently full of nitrogen and says DO NOT HEAT on them... ? Furthermore, even with the cutting, we were melting the bushing like crazy inside the control arm due to the heat of the friction, and we obviously don't want to ruin that, as it's not replacable seperate from the expensive arm itself. When I put coilovers on my car, one side came off, but one side was frozen like this, and I had to buy a new control arm after I finally had to cut the bolt off THROUGH the bushing between the shock housing and control arm. (There is about a 0.25" space) Any help on this is appreciated, as he is currently driving his hatch with nothing holding what's left of this bolt in, except it's stubbornness. (Although, I would be really suprised if it popped out!)

Actually, now that I look at the previous thread you posted about this, Ragezero76, just buying a new pair of control arms sounds like a pretty good idea. Find out where that guy got them from $86 or whatever on that last thread. Also call NAPA and see if they carry them. Parts.com is quoting $339.02 out of Pennsylvainia for a pair. Ack, but that's what I paid when I had this happen. It sucks.

Thanks,
Dougal

zelifcam

[Modified by zelifcam, 4:04 AM 10/21/2002]
Old 10-21-2002, 04:21 AM

Default Re: HELP, please lca bolts suck! (zelifcam)

It happened to me too...

It really sucks... I just ended up drilling it out after cutting off the shock mounts and the nut at the other side of the shock... It was not fun...

Good luck
Old 10-21-2002, 04:55 AM

Default Re: HELP, please lca bolts suck! (RedHatch)

try searching, i think a few others have had this problem too
Old 10-21-2002, 05:46 AM

Default Re: HELP, please lca bolts suck! (DOHC-DX)

That happened on my buddies crx too, he ended up breakin both bolts on his lca's. Did you get the H&R sports or the races? If you got the sports let me know how you like them cause i was thinkin of goin with the sports and agx's pretty soon here too.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP, please lca bolts suck! (GasHuffer)

Used a torch on mine.....
Old 10-21-2002, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP, please lca bolts suck! (AztecEJ)

That happened to my 95 civic. I broke the head off the bolt and I had to cut the shock fork to get the shock off. For this job, the angle grinder is your friend. Insdtead of getting a new bushing, i opted to just get new LCAs from an integra so I could mount a rear sway bar. Good luck.