Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help!!! Oil Leaking bad!! cant find source!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!!! Oil Leaking bad!! cant find source!!

i have an oil problem!!! i check every single gasket leak is not coming from gasket, where else can it be? my friend said check the rear main seal, but i dont know where that is located, can any of you guys help me out?
Old 09-21-2003, 10:06 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: help!!! Oil Leaking bad!! cant find source!! (Civic_Type R)

can you see oil leaking out or is your oil level just going down?
Old 09-21-2003, 10:08 PM

Default Re: help!!! Oil Leaking bad!! cant find source!! (BauleyCivic)

yes, i put oil in it to try to see, but im just wasting oil, i check the dip stick, it juss goes stright down, like i have a big hole in my old pan, but i dont
Old 09-21-2003, 10:19 PM

Did you just do an oil change or some other type of repair/maintenance on the car? If so, what parts, if you know?

If you got some work done at a mechanics shop, TAKE IT BACK. Repairs should NEVER leak.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:07 AM

Default Re: help!!! Oil Leaking bad!! cant find source!! (OptionMan)

Go unda your car with a can of engine degreaser, lift the car off the ground. spray degreaser wherever you see is covered with oil. Then wash it clean. Drive car for about 10min. Get unda the car and see where its leaking from.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civic_Type R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have an oil problem!!! i check every single gasket leak is not coming from gasket, where else can it be? my friend said check the rear main seal, but i dont know where that is located, can any of you guys help me out?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if it is the main seal, then you would have to drop your tranny
Old 09-22-2003, 08:32 PM

Default Re: help!!! Oil Leaking bad!! cant find source!! (O.G triple O.G)

OMG...!! are you kidding me? all that work just to get to a seal? so that means i have to take out the axles, take out the tranny, change seal? and put everything back in? *sigh* i guess im going to have to check it out, also i started up the car today, and the car has started something i have never encounter in my life with this car, once i start the car all i hear is Vroomm... vrooomm... vrooom, like an idling sound from the manifold i think a sensor is out? thanks for your replies - mikey
Old 09-22-2003, 08:50 PM

My girlfriends cra had this same problem just a couple of weeks ago and it was her cam seal.Check that it could be your source of leakage.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:11 PM

Default Re: (eg94b18)

could it be the cam seal? do i have to take apart my head? cause if i have to im going to go to walmart and get me castrol GTx 30x50 motor oil and drive up to Texas and let JoTech check it out for me - Mikey
Old 09-22-2003, 09:15 PM

Default Re: (Civic_Type R)

I am no mechanic but I think you have to pull off the timing belt and water pump.Not for sure where it is actually located.I was just trying to give you some idea on what it might be.I wish I could be more help.Let us know what it is when you finally find out.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:58 AM
eg5
Honda-Tech Member

check crankshaft main seal on flywheel side or crankshaft puley side...
if its on the flywheel side , u need to drop ur tranny and replace the seal
Old 09-23-2003, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no, you don't have to take apart the head to access the cam seal, all you have to do is pull off the valve cover. If your cam seal is old, it could be leaking. That's why companies make aftermarket camseals. Also, I would check all the possible simple locations first, the oil pan, valve cover, perhaps an improperly installed oil filter. also depending on the age of your motor is could just burn some oil, it's not uncommon for cars to use several quarts between oil changes. In many cases oil often has to be added between oil changes on high mileage cars. Finally, id you've had your cylinder head recently rebuilt check the large bolts on either side of the head. There should be 4 bolts which are roughly in the position of the rocker arm shafts, one on each end of the shafts. If these were not properly tightened it may appear that the cam seal is leaking when it is infact these large bolts. I believe you just use the square tip on a 3/8 inch drive to tighten these. To avoid confusion the are more like threaded plugs. Best of luck finding the leak, hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW, really nice hatchy. Good luck on the leak resolution.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help!!! Oil Leaking bad!! cant find source!! (2camsaam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2camsaam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BTW, really nice hatchy. Good luck on the leak resolution.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just what I was thinking!
Old 09-25-2003, 05:47 PM

Default Re: (eg94b18)

sup you guys, well im up here in Texas, just made it i got a 1 week vacation from work, and a raise( by $1.25), im up in garland, my car is at jotech right now, John.. my mechanic at the shop, said it just might be the rear main seal just by 65% he said, if not then it could be the cam seal just like what you guys told me, he said he can fix it by tomorrow and I'm off to Dallas ^_^ I'm going to run my car see what i can get, and once i get back you guys will be the first to know, ok thank you guys for all your help and good dee's - Mikey Civic Type R
Old 09-28-2003, 06:44 PM

Default Re: help!!! Oil Leaking bad!! cant find source!!

ahhh... long weekend up in texas, yepp! i found my oil leak problem, Rear Main Seal, n Oil Pan Seal, isnt that something? well once it was fixed, took a 45 minute drive to dallas, ran my car at Texas Motorplex, first run was good, fun run .759 Reaction - 12.3@113mph, but 2nd run, i ran against a 89" Crx Zc swap, i got whopped!!! once we raced i checked out his engine, damn thing had J.R Supercharger, but it was fun, a good race was the 03" 350z vs 03" G35, G35 had it, well im going to go now, thanks guys for all your help and my oil trouble is no more bye - Mikey

Modified by Civic_Type R at 11:14 PM 10/10/2003