Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help needed. Dangerous!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed. Dangerous!

I drive a '99 civic DX and recently I have been having some weird problems. Sometimes in the middle of driving the car, out of nowhere the car will just shut off. The engine doesn't hesitate at all and the only way I know immediately that it does it is because the power door locks unlock and I can't accelerate (doh!). When it dies it used to start right back up on the first try but now it is getting to where it takes 5 or more tries for it to start back up. I will turn the key it will start and then it will immediately shut back off.
Also sometimes when I go to turn the car on all of the lights in my cluster blink real fast and I hear a clicking noise coming from the ecu area. Also sometimes when I turn the key in the ignition to right before it turns to start the lights in the cluster go off and it is like the key is not even in the ignition.
Not to stop there buy my a/c pretty much doesn't come on most of the time and my passenger side power window (after market) doesn't work most of the time. If anybody has any ideas whatsoever as to what could be causing these problems please help me out. It's getting kind of dangerous to drive through an intersection and have your car die half way through the light.
Also not sure if this has anything to do with it or not but the car used to be an automatic and was converted to a manual.

Problems:
#1 Car shuts off without warning (used to happen infrequently but it is now pretty much daily)
#2 A/C works about 10% of the time
#3 Passenger side window won't work but about 10% of the time
#4 Cluster lights blink and ecu makes clicking noises sometimes

I don't know if these problems are related or not but please help. I don't have the money to take it into the dealership right now and would at least like to know what I am looking at here to get it fixed.

EDIT: Found a link to a website that says my vehicle has a recall on it for the ignition switch. The symptoms described are exactly what is happening with my car. Best of all it will be fixed free of charge. I'm scheduling an appointment at my local Honda dealer shortly. Thanks for the help everyone.

Modified by zigen45 at 10:13 AM 1/22/2006
Old 01-01-2006, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help needed. Dangerous! (zigen45)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zigen45 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Problems:
#1 Car shuts off without warning (used to happen infrequently but it is now pretty much daily)
#2 A/C works about 10% of the time
#3 Passenger side window won't work but about 10% of the time
#4 Cluster lights blink and ecu makes clicking noises sometimes
</TD></TR></TABLE>

#1- Maybe new spark plugs, wires, ignition switch, relay or a bad dizzy coil. If you have a fuel pump kill switch, maybe remove that. After I removed the switch from my car, that problem went away for me.
#2- No idea
#3- No idea
#4- Maybe the clicking noise from the ecu if the fuel pump, when you turn your key to the on position, you should hear two clicks coming from that area, which is the fuel pump.

Hope that helps
Old 01-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have an alarm system? An improper alarm system especially the remote starts ones will shut your car off if installed improperly. I would have a tech check it out ASAP
Old 01-01-2006, 07:31 PM

checking your harness your engine one and the one in the dash, also check your alternator have it tested it might be getting shitty. do a tune up.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you check for codes?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:59 AM

This is also happening to me at times... the mechanics I brought to haven't found anything.

The had the whole distributor checked but it's functioning good... I'm thinking it might be related to my stock tach suddenly not funtioning but I dunno where to look or how to check it out... any help from you guys?

Right now it's running but same as zigen45, it's going to be pretty bad if it suddenly dies in the middle of the highway...

engine's a D15B by the way... am encountering problems #1 and 4 by the way but A/C and windows are fine...
Old 01-02-2006, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Help needed. Dangerous! (OogalyDoogaly)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OogalyDoogaly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

#1- Maybe new spark plugs, wires, ignition switch, relay or a bad dizzy coil. If you have a fuel pump kill switch, maybe remove that. After I removed the switch from my car, that problem went away for me.
#2- No idea
#3- No idea
#4- Maybe the clicking noise from the ecu if the fuel pump, when you turn your key to the on position, you should hear two clicks coming from that area, which is the fuel pump.

Hope that helps</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't have a kill switch. The clicking noise is not anything normal. It is a constant clicking until the car starts. Doesn't happen very often and may not even be related to my problems I dunno.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Help needed. Dangerous! (junior40er)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by junior40er &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have an alarm system? An improper alarm system especially the remote starts ones will shut your car off if installed improperly. I would have a tech check it out ASAP</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have an alarm but not a remote start alarm. Still think it could be related?
Old 01-02-2006, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Help needed. Dangerous! (wushubrian)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wushubrian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">checking your harness your engine one and the one in the dash, also check your alternator have it tested it might be getting shitty. do a tune up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll have those checked out for sure. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:31 AM

Default Re: (1995Ex_Sedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1995Ex_Sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you check for codes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The check engine light is on and I plan on having it looked at as soon as I have the $$$ to do so. I'll post what the code is after I find out. Thanks.

Thanks for the replies everyone. If anybody has any other ideas feel free to post them up. I need all of the help I can get.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zigen45 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have an alarm but not a remote start alarm. Still think it could be related?</TD></TR></TABLE>
the alarm's ignition kill relay may be causing the dieing problems. Bypass it and see if the problem goes away.
I'd be chacking the main relay as well, it's a very common problem and on mine it caused clicks like you described. (your '99's main relay is located just above your ECU)

It could also be a bad connection to the battery, bad engine ground, poor battery....
Old 01-02-2006, 09:43 AM

another question... what's the main relay for? found out my car doesn't have one but it was running good cept for the last couple of weeks...
Old 01-02-2006, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Help needed. Dangerous! (Relic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the alarm's ignition kill relay may be causing the dieing problems. Bypass it and see if the problem goes away.
I'd be chacking the main relay as well, it's a very common problem and on mine it caused clicks like you described. (your '99's main relay is located just above your ECU)

It could also be a bad connection to the battery, bad engine ground, poor battery....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will have all of that checked out. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:05 AM

you can pull the ECU codes yourself... under the dash on the passenger side to the right of the glovebox if you look you will see a blue connector with 2 wires in it and its just clipped to the dash.. not plugged in to anything.. take a paperclip and jump the 2 wires together then turn the key to on and watch the check engine light flas.. long flashes are 10 and short flashes are 1 for instance if it flashed 5 long flashes then 3 short it would be a code 53 and so on may be more than one code and they are sepparated by pauses.. write down the code(s) then search for a code list on h-t this will save you the money to have a shop scan for codes.. ususally not cheap. hope this helps and good luck
Old 01-02-2006, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Help needed. Dangerous! (BluCivicDriver93)

have you had the recall on the ignition switch done yet? I would say that is the problem
Old 01-02-2006, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Help needed. Dangerous! (BluCivicDriver93)

I had the same problem with my alarm setup...I just yanked out the fuses for it and no more problem....Have you disconnected your battery recently? This is what usually causes your alarm to not let the car start..I had to push start my car when this happened. The clicking sound kinda sounds like the turning signal click right?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:25 AM

In my case, the clicking is from the check engine light... so some help here bros... what's the main relay for again?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Help needed. Dangerous! (Firstoost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Firstoost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same problem with my alarm setup...I just yanked out the fuses for it and no more problem....Have you disconnected your battery recently? This is what usually causes your alarm to not let the car start..I had to push start my car when this happened. The clicking sound kinda sounds like the turning signal click right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The battery was replace probably two months ago. That is the last time that I can remember the battery being disconnected.
Yes the clicking does sort of sound like the sound the turn signal makes except faster.

I am going to have to get the code the car is throwing and will have to go from there.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Help needed. Dangerous! (chrisr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chrisr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you had the recall on the ignition switch done yet? I would say that is the problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wasn't aware that there was a recall. When did the recall come out? How would I know if the recall was done on the car before I owned it?
Old 01-02-2006, 12:46 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It could also be a bad connection to the battery, bad engine ground, poor battery....</TD></TR></TABLE>

On a typical alarm install, the kill is hooked into the starter, which wouldn't cause the car to just shut off at random.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BluCivicDriver93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can pull the ECU codes yourself... under the dash on the passenger side to the right of the glovebox if you look you will see a blue connector with 2 wires in it and its just clipped to the dash.. not plugged in to anything.. take a paperclip and jump the 2 wires together then turn the key to on and watch the check engine light flas.. long flashes are 10 and short flashes are 1 for instance if it flashed 5 long flashes then 3 short it would be a code 53 and so on may be more than one code and they are sepparated by pauses.. write down the code(s) then search for a code list on h-t this will save you the money to have a shop scan for codes.. ususally not cheap. hope this helps and good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

He has a 99 Civic which is OBD2. This won't work for that car. You can go to Autozone and they will read your code for free.

Personally, I would check the battery terminals. If they are even SLIGHTLY loose or corroded, you could have a bad contact. Thats what that clicking and the dash lights signify. Check your battery connections and your terminals. I will bet you that will fix the problem.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Help needed. Dangerous! (JDM_Ej)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Ej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Personally, I would check the battery terminals. If they are even SLIGHTLY loose or corroded, you could have a bad contact. Thats what that clicking and the dash lights signify. Check your battery connections and your terminals. I will bet you that will fix the problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just checked the terminals and they are snug. The negative terminal does have a small amount of corrosion though.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Baking soda and water will get rid it.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Help needed. Dangerous! (JDM_Ej)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Ej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Personally, I would check the battery terminals. If they are even SLIGHTLY loose or corroded, you could have a bad contact. Thats what that clicking and the dash lights signify. Check your battery connections and your terminals. I will bet you that will fix the problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would do the same, turned out to be the cable wasn't bolted down tight enough to the terminal
Old 01-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nquito)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nquito &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">another question... what's the main relay for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I beleive it has something to do with your fuel pump
Old 01-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: (nquito)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nquito &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">another question... what's the main relay for? found out my car doesn't have one but it was running good cept for the last couple of weeks...</TD></TR></TABLE>
the main relay is simply two relays in a box.
one side of it supplies power to the ECU and a few sensors on the engine, the other side powers the fuel pump.
if you did not have one your car would not even try to start.

Quick Reply: Help needed. Dangerous!