Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help me im new to Hondas

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon7 Help me im new to Hondas

So i just bought my first Honda. Its a 1998 Honda Civic DX 2D. Always had a passion for Civics now i finally got one. I am looking for ways to make it fast but not break my wallet because i am still making payments and insurance is high as the ****. Any suggestions would be great or just what you did to yours would help. Also im looking into getting a new speedometer w/ a rpm tack in it if you got one for sale or know a place that would help
Old 02-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me im new to Hondas

This is my car there are more photos on my profile

See id prefer a tack like this but w/ a rpm gauge on it.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Best bet would be to save up and get a motor swap. Not much to come out of a N/A D series... Why is your insurance high? Mine is only like $36 a month.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ agreed^^^ insurance depends on a lot of things, credit, how long you have had insurance things of that nature. clean car though. like said above save up for a swap, or spend it on supsension.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im only 18 and the car is in my name so that makes it high. but i dont have the cash for a swap i work at walmart lol im not tryin to make it a dragster just enough to have fun with and beat some of my friends cars
Old 02-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There a few links in the FAQ sticky thread at the top of this forum. I'd start there a read through them. LOTS of good information. There a few OEM swaps (Cheapest you can do usually) you can do for a little more pep, but not a whole bunch. (Mini-me swap, Y8 intake manifold swap, B series throttle body, and the usual I/H/E.) Gotta pay to play lol. Also you can never go wrong with a good tune-up. That always helps and should be first on the list.
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well without boost or a motor swap its not going to be all that fast.

now i'm not sayin you can't make it a decent bit quicker though. for reasonably cheap you could install a sohc vtec z6 or y8 head and then also a z6 or y8 intake manifold. that would make a pretty decent gain for you. you could also get an ex/si transmission. they have shorter gearing and therefore will make the car accelerate faster.
B*a*n*n*e*d

well im 16 i pay a hell of a lot but heres what i think you should do.
-headers with 2" exhaust because if you go any bigger really your losing low end power

- new wheels if your looking for some on the cheeper side id go with the ls mesh they are really nice looking and they look aftermarket on my opinion without going over board

- Paint your valve cover an easy thing to makes your engine look a little bit more nice

-do a minor wire tuck

- a strut bar

- do something with the interior to lose weight

little things like that but if you like rice go for it dont listen to what others say its your car just make it how you want.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What i really want to do is paint the valve cover and other things a neon green and tint the windows black the tail lights and get some green underglow neon. Kinda make it look like the ones in the beginning of the fast and the furious that they hijacked the trucks with. but first i make it alittle faster
Old 02-23-2010, 08:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

well for faster the best thing and cheapest you could do would be a mini me swap that adds some decent kick and the headers and exhaust help as well.
If your looking for a bigger power gain just go turbo other wise you would have to do an engine swap or build your d series like me! haha