Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help me ID engine bay parts and ECU in my Del Sol

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me ID engine bay parts and ECU in my Del Sol

OK, I've been lurking around for the past couple weeks finding out what is particular about my recently purchased 93 Del Sol. I now know it started a non-VTEC S but was swapped with a D16Z6, not sure if it is JDM or what, if that is even a JDM number or USDM only? I guess I'll figure more about this by reading later. Not sure if the ECU is chipped or not, has hondata or not, I'll pull stuff apart later when I'm not worried about needing to drive to work. Can I pull off the top plate without removing the ECU to look? Obviously it has AEM fuel stuff, the guy I bought it from said it has an AEM pump as well, but stock injectors. Have no idea about the internals, valve train or otherwise. Can anyone point out anything they notice about the bay or ECU that I might be clueless about as I'm noobish to this platform? From my understanding, the majority of the work was done back in '05 so any aftermarket parts would have been bought at that time. Once I get a grip about what was likely done, I'm planning on building it for turbo or going for a B16 or 18 swap. I like the idea of turbo but honestly get kind of intimidated when I see the limited space in the front. I also like the idea of sticking with a b16 if I swap for the OBD1 ease. Is converting to OBD2 even that hard with the PNP harness or does it get more complicated than that? Would a B18 even be that much harder?

Not trying to go crazy with hp numbers. Would probably be happy with around ~200 to the wheels with good drivability with a small turbo. Honestly this thing feels like a dog after owning a bunch of factory turbo cars. I'm sure 200+ to the wheels will make it a bit more fun.
Here is a picture of under the hood and ECU sticker:

Old 07-24-2016, 11:52 AM
On vacation

Default re: Help me ID engine bay parts and ECU in my Del Sol

D16Z6 is USDM.

That ECU is correct for that motor, so probably not chipped, just stock is my best guess.

Overall, everything looks pretty stock besides the ignition, intake, and header.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:10 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

useless msd ignition, lots of red crap.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by testify
D16Z6 is USDM.

That ECU is correct for that motor, so probably not chipped, just stock is my best guess.

Overall, everything looks pretty stock besides the ignition, intake, and header.
Awesome, thank you. If I had to guess the internals are stock too, it definitely feels like 130hp.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me ID Del Sol

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
useless msd ignition, lots of red crap.
Word on the red crap, its just plastic too, not like it will help with anti chafing or anything. Is the MSD worthless enough to get replaced or do you just mean its a pointless/excessive part? This my first non coil pack having car, so... I don't know about the whole ignition setup.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:20 PM
On vacation

Default Re: Help me ID engine bay parts and ECU in my Del Sol

The MSD just adds weight to the car.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Help me ID Del Sol

Originally Posted by agentgordon27
Word on the red crap, its just plastic too, not like it will help with anti chafing or anything. Is the MSD worthless enough to get replaced or do you just mean its a pointless/excessive part? This my first non coil pack having car, so... I don't know about the whole ignition setup.
MSD --> Much less reliable than OEM.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So wait, does the MSD replace a factory part or is it in addition to something? I understand the most basic concept of ignition systems using distributors rather than coil packs but don't know the specifics of where the MSD fits in. Does it just replace the ignition coil? Are the MSD wires ok to keep if I switch back to OEM?
Old 07-24-2016, 11:00 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by agentgordon27
So wait, does the MSD replace a factory part or is it in addition to something? I understand the most basic concept of ignition systems using distributors rather than coil packs but don't know the specifics of where the MSD fits in. Does it just replace the ignition coil? Are the MSD wires ok to keep if I switch back to OEM?
Buy the looks the MSD box is replacing the internal coil of the distributor. On the OEM cap you don't have a wire going from an external coil to the cap. I can see you do there.

You should be able to use the MSD wires for a year or two even if you go back to an OEM internal coil and OEM cap.

I think the idea of pulling the coil out of the dizzy is to reduce EMI/RFI from the coil being in close proximity to the dizzy internal cam sensors. I've seen it stated many times that the OEM Honda Dizzy isn't very performance orientated. I think going after the high RPM model performance build, noise become quite the issue and a totally different system is put in place and used in those cases. In yours, OEM will work well.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:55 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most guys go coil on plug for high hp builds. have seen plenty of oem setups in the 3-450whp range.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:54 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
most guys go coil on plug for high hp builds.
Yeah, that's the direction I guessed it would be or the AEM coil less system where the distributor is purely a high precision cam sensor and all the rest of the ignition is a separate system.

I haven't really looked into it as I am no where near building one of them drag type race builds. I've just seen enough people who run into the challenge of the OEM Distributor to be aware there is some threshold somewhere along the way.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bringing this thread back up! Thought keeping a single thread is less clutter.

I ordered a complete changeover B16A from hmotorsonline and it should be here in the next couple of weeks. I ordered the 92-95 option which I assume has to do with the obd1 ecu/setup. I bought the timing belt/tensioner/water pump replacement as everyone I talked to recommended. I have some questions regarding ordering parts. Is the B16a dimensionally identical to the b16a3 in the Del Sol vtec? I understand my '93 didn't come with the b16 but if I go to a parts website and filter by 94 Del sol vtec trim should the parts bolt right up with my obd1 B16a swap?

I'm asking because I don't think the hmo engine comes with the air box and was just going to buy a cheap short ram intake. Also, i wanted to get the direct fit cat from magnaflow, would the same parts filtering method work for me? The cat back is a bolt on aftermarket of some kind. Are all the cat backs the same across 93-97 Del sols, regardless of engine? Specifically on how they bolt to the catalytic converter. Thanks in advance for any help!