Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help me fix my ek please?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me fix my ek please?

hi yall im new to honda tech and i wanna learn alot from here...i currently own a 1998 Civic Hatchback EK.....everything is fine but one thing....everytime i turn the car on it sounds fine but when i let go of the clutch it starts making like scratching noise....it makes that noise also when im in first gear...it will do it sometimes and other times it wont make it....what i have been told is two things? most of all they say it is the Clutch bearing or throwout bearing, and another person told me it was the transmission....can anyone help me please?
Old 02-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: help me fix my ek please? (newbie415)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newbie415 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> hi yall im new to honda tech and i wanna learn alot from here...i currently own a 1998 Civic Hatchback EK.....everything is fine but one thing....everytime i turn the car on it sounds fine but when i let go of the clutch it starts making like scratching noise....it makes that noise also when im in first gear...it will do it sometimes and other times it wont make it....what i have been told is two things? most of all they say it is the Clutch bearing or throwout bearing, and another person told me it was the transmission....can anyone help me please? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Throwout bearing will only come into play when using the clutch, not when the tranny is engagged in gear and going down the road. The noise your are describing sounds more like the input shaft bearing is failing. Fairly common, especially on the D series it seems. I've done my fair share at least. You will need to remove and disassemble the transmission in order to replace it. The part itself is something rediculous like $35.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:29 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With everything needed, it's about $50 in parts.

Input Shaft Bearing
HondaBond
Urea Grease
Axle Seals

If you have HondaBond and Urea grease lying around, then money saved. I replace the axle seals out of habit. It's cheap, and you might as well do some preventative maintanence while you're in there.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:31 AM

Default Re: (Eran)

ok.....so it has nothin to do with the clutch then? i understand that i have to replace that bearing your talking about but i just need to know for sure.....cuz i dont wanna have my car get that fixed and the noise still there....im trying to get my car looking decent with suspensions and lips and wheels but i dont wanna do that till that noise goes away....
Old 02-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar problem with my 98 ek and my 2004 EM2. I took the 2004 into honda and they said it was just some kinda plate and bar rubbing together. The noise was cause the grease came off from the rain. They showed me the mechanics when i was there. but in my case it was perfectly fine.

Does it happen when you are actually pushing the clutch in or out. or is it constant after you let the clutch out?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:32 AM

Default Re: help me fix my ek please? (Ser1N)

o ok....no when i push in the clutch it doesnt make noise and when i let it go it starts to make the noise...it also makes the noise in first gear sometimes when im accelerating it....wat do u think?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newbie415 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">o ok....no when i push in the clutch it doesnt make noise and when i let it go it starts to make the noise...it also makes the noise in first gear sometimes when im accelerating it....wat do u think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I told you what I think, its the input shaft bearing. This topic should be ended.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: help me fix my ek please? (Hybrid93Eg)

dude chill...im sry that im asking soo many questions but i need the info man.....how hard is it to do that input shaft bearing? with labor?
Old 02-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess people should just end topics when people say what they think.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help me fix my ek please? (Ser1N)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ser1N &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i guess people should just end topics when people say what they think.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Has nothing to do with that. Has to do with people dragging topics on and on asking "anyone else"... or "well what else could it be"... Not saying this topic is like that, but I was hinting it shouldn't get to that point.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newbie415 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude chill...im sry that im asking soo many questions but i need the info man.....how hard is it to do that input shaft bearing? with labor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depends. You a mechanic? Have any mechanical experience? I've been turning wrenches for quite a few years. To me, its not THAT much of a pain in the ***. More time consuming then anything.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:06 PM

na i have no skills wat so ever....i mean i guess its worth to get it done by someone else that knows what they are doing so its done right......but i wanna know how to do it
Old 02-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Throwout bearing will only come into play when using the clutch, not when the tranny is engagged in gear and going down the road. The noise your are describing sounds more like the input shaft bearing is failing. Fairly common, especially on the D series it seems. I've done my fair share at least. You will need to remove and disassemble the transmission in order to replace it. The part itself is something rediculous like $35.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, Hybrid93Eg is correct. I got the same problem as you described. Replace the input shaft seal too when you replace the bearing. Check the condition of your clutch. Replace it to save some time.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help me fix my ek please? (Z3120)

if you have little mechanical experience i wouldnt reccomend doing this unless you have another car drive and dont mind having this one down....it would definatly be a learning experience...if you decide to do it the most important thing to remember is to take your time and do it right...good luck..btw i think its the input shaft as well
Old 02-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sometimes, that scratching noise is due to a part that lost it's lube.
There's a rubber boot on the transmission where the slave cylinder goes into.
Take of the boot, and have someone pushing on the clutch, you should be able to tell where the scratching is.
Just put some grease on there. apply using your fingers while someone is pushing up and down on the clutch.
be careful not to put too much though. Some would say it can cause the clutch to slip. I've never had any problems. I had to do it twice and the problem hasn't returned since.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:47 AM

Default thanks everyone

i think i got enought info but everyone that posted this one thank you all...i think imma get it done by myself and try it out....if now imma get it done by my machanical friend...thanks everyone i appriciate it
Old 02-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it a scratching noise or a squeaking noise? because a squeaking noise could easily be a belt (timing belt, ac, etc.)...

just putting a suggestion out that no one mentioned..
Old 02-12-2007, 01:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Depends. You a mechanic? Have any mechanical experience? I've been turning wrenches for quite a few years. To me, its not THAT much of a pain in the ***. More time consuming then anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>
ok so you say your a Mechanic right? well if you a real Mechanic then you should know that you can always guess what it will be and narrow it down to a 80 to 20 but in the end you only know when you rip it down. and see what's excetly is going on, and why it happend. so for some who is trying to get all the info on honda-tech by someone who says they know what they are doing, I wouldn't take anyones word for it, don't just belive some guy who says Ive been a Mechanic for years, (**** I was born with a wrench in my hand) he could be right, but the point is don't go off of one person and not get other feed back. what your trying to do on here is to get other plps opn. and find out what it could be, and what to be prepaird for. so when you rip it down, check all of the above, that means throw out bearing, shaft, shaft bear,cluch, pressure plate, etc... etc... you get the Idea, don't buy parts that you don't need. but at the same time if a clutch is worn or any other parts that you know that you will soon have to change, then you should just do it anyways, due to the fact that you wouldn't want to do the same thing twice. handle it.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help me fix my ek please? (Excel motor werks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Excel motor werks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
ok so you say your a Mechanic right? well if you a real Mechanic then you should know that you can always guess what it will be and narrow it down to a 80 to 20 but in the end you only know when you rip it down. and see what's excetly is going on, and why it happend. so for some who is trying to get all the info on honda-tech by someone who says they know what they are doing, I wouldn't take anyones word for it, don't just belive some guy who says Ive been a Mechanic for years, (**** I was born with a wrench in my hand) he could be right, but the point is don't go off of one person and not get other feed back. what your trying to do on here is to get other plps opn. and find out what it could be, and what to be prepaird for. so when you rip it down, check all of the above, that means throw out bearing, shaft, shaft bear,cluch, pressure plate, etc... etc... you get the Idea, don't buy parts that you don't need. but at the same time if a clutch is worn or any other parts that you know that you will soon have to change, then you should just do it anyways, due to the fact that you wouldn't want to do the same thing twice. handle it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You feel better now that you have built up your ego? Don't come in here telling me I am not a "real" mechanic and how you were born with a wrench in your hand. I never said I was 100% right and there is nothing else it can be. I did say I am confident in what I stated and I don't feel there is any more reason to drag this topic on. Sorry if that didn't suit your expert diagnostic skills.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: thanks everyone (newbie415)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newbie415 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think i got enought info but everyone that posted this one thank you all...i think imma get it done by myself and try it out....if now imma get it done by my machanical friend...thanks everyone i appriciate it </TD></TR></TABLE>

cool let us know how it goes and what the actual problem was for future searches.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:48 PM

judging by the way you said yall u should probably sell your honda and buy a ford or chevy and paint a bit confederate flag on the roof and go do some good old fashion brake torque.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: thanks everyone (yoej8)

i will man thanks....imma look at everyones suggestions so ill definitly get it fixed....
Old 02-18-2007, 09:06 PM

sure if you go by how many post you have, then your a great Mechanic. I do this every day, since 98. so if you want to guess what you think it is with out even looking at the car, or testing it. then go right ahead. but hey that's what this web site is for anyways, good luck with your new career.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help me fix my ek please? (Excel motor werks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Excel motor werks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sure if you go by how many post you have, then your a great Mechanic. I do this every day, since 98. so if you want to guess what you think it is with out even looking at the car, or testing it. then go right ahead. but hey that's what this web site is for anyways, good luck with your new career. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're not helping promote yourself or your business by throwing out lame insults like this. Feed the ego somewhere else, this isn't the place...

And FYI, I've been wrenching alot longer then since 98. I've been doing Honda/Acura crap alone since 96. That STILL doesn't make me better then you, or you better then me. So give it up, please. You just wasted all this time arguing something thats so retarded to begin with. Ask the guy is what I said was right after he gets it diagnosed. THEN you can call me all the names you want and feed your ego endlessly.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:31 PM

names ?????? what are you talking about??? ok, well lets just end this now, and if you still want to go on you can always pm me. so good luck to the guy who is fixing it. and hope he got all the info he needs on this tread, even diagnostic skills