Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help me before i go to ref to get B.A.R sticker.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me before i go to ref to get B.A.R sticker.....

i have a b18c1 in my 96 hatch and i wanted to know if it matters if i have a 95 tranny on my 96 block? are they mainly concerned with the engine year or does it include the transmission as well? if they do can the vins be different?
Old 01-05-2004, 01:50 PM

Default Re: help me before i go to ref to get B.A.R sticker..... (96hatchback)

i think they are mainly concerned with the engine. but, you never know... they are pretty ****. call them and find out.

edit: i noticed you were in the bay area!! Go to SAC. for the test. The refs there are much easier! Seriously.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Re: help me before i go to ref to get B.A.R sticker..... (filthyCREX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by filthyCREX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think they are mainly concerned with the engine. but, you never know... they are pretty ****. call them and find out.

edit: i noticed you were in the bay area!! Go to SAC. for the test. The refs there are much easier! Seriously.</TD></TR></TABLE>

can anyone else vouch for sac being easier?

also how long in advance do i have to wait to set up the appointment?

are they usually busy?
Old 01-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel sorry for californians with swaps.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:10 PM

bump
Old 01-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tranny shouldn't play a part in the BAR testing. They didn't even look at mine when I went in. Of course that's in SD, dont' know if they have different procedures up there.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help me before i go to ref to get B.A.R sticker..... (skuby_do)

you feel sorry for californias with swaps?

haha yeah sux but hey we got great weather, bitchin *****, no tornoados, no crazy winter storms.

im getting my smog license soon, and im up in the bay area, hopefully i'll make good pay as smog techs usually do and be able to start my project eg
Old 01-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help me before i go to ref to get B.A.R sticker..... (Ba4)

here is the guideline taken strait from the BAR book (bearu of automotive repair) sorry for mistakes in words i just typed it all up real fast

THIS GOES FOR PPL THAT LIVE IN CALIFORNIA OF COURSE.

engine changes
An engine change is the installation of an engine in an exhuast emission controlled vechile that is differnt from the one which was orginally installed in the vechile and does not qualify as a replacement engine (replacment engine is defined as a new rebulit or remanufactured or used engine of the same make number of cylinders and engine family as the orginal engine with the orginal emission controls reinstalled, which is not a engine change)

The following guidelines should be followed when changing a vechiles engine.

- The engine and emissions controls must be certified to the year of the vechile or NEWER and to the same or a more STRINGENT NEW VEHILCE CERTIFACATION STANDARD

-A federally certified engine cannont be used in a vechile that was orginally certified in california

- Do not mix engine and vechile classifications that degrade the emissions certification standards. FOR EXAMPLE: a heavy duty engine cannot be installed in a light duty exhuast controlled chassis even if they are the same displacement.

-the installed engine and host chassis must retain all of there orginal emissions control equipment.

- No internal or external engine modifications(cams pistons etc) may be preformed unless the parts/systems are ARB approved or are epa certified for use on the installed engine.

-If a computer controlled engine is installed in a non computerized vehicle the MIL (check engine light) OEM diagnostic link, and all sensors siwtches and wiring harnesses needed to make the system fully functional must be installed the computer control systems must operate correctly.

licensed smog check stations must refre vechiles with "engine changes" to the referee center for intial inspection the referee center will affix a BAR referee label to the vehicle. the label will list the required emissions controls, the referee center will affix the bar referee label only after the vehicle passes a complete smog check inspection, once the bar referee label has ben installed subsequent inspections may be preformed by a licensed smog check station.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should be ok with the different tranny. As long as your motor is newer than your car. You have the motor setup for obdIIA right? Is it a US motor or Japanese motor. You need a US ecu and if its a Japanese motor with the US ecu you are going to need a letter from Acura that states that the ECU is the correct one for that year Motor.

Good Luck with your appointment. First thing in the morning is normally your best bet. I don't know where in the bay area you are located but the ref at Skyline College was pretty cool.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:24 PM

Default Re: (fishnfst)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fishnfst &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You should be ok with the different tranny. As long as your motor is newer than your car. You have the motor setup for obdIIA right? Is it a US motor or Japanese motor. You need a US ecu and if its a Japanese motor with the US ecu you are going to need a letter from Acura that states that the ECU is the correct one for that year Motor.

Good Luck with your appointment. First thing in the morning is normally your best bet. I don't know where in the bay area you are located but the ref at Skyline College was pretty cool.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah its a us motor....im probably gonna go to the one at skyline college

how early should i schedule the appointment?
Old 01-05-2004, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96hatchback)

man i am glad i live in a state with no inspection
and if i did live in an inspection state i would have a spare
"stock" engine to test with