Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help make my car into a DD/cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help make my car into a DD/cruiser

Hey guys, fairly new to the forums, registered a while back and haven't posted much since.

I just ordered a timing belt kit, K&N stock replacement filter, some Honda ATF, and a new fuel filter from InlineFour.com and it got me thinking. Since my RX-7 is out of commission and just isn't practical for my needs currently.. I want to give my 2000 Civic EX (AT) a bit of love.

I use it every day and commute fairly often (a week can add up to 500-1000 miles). I'm not that into making my car produce more power, but I just want it to be reliable yet able to keep up with my friends on the cruises around the hills and whatnot. The car currently has 161,000 miles to it and runs pretty decently.. I got it from my sister and she really only took it to get it tuned up a few times. Not sure what has been replaced and what hasn't.

So what I had in mind was to basically maintain the engine with OEM parts and leave it at that. Other than basic tune ups, nothing much in the power department.

I wanted to focus more on suspension. I'm looking for quality parts that won't make me chip my teeth and have my dog fly out the window driving over some bumps (not the best roads where I live) but lets me notice an actual difference from stock. Basically a sleeper, no drop more than 2.0 inches.

I was looking to change struts/springs (something like tokico blues with Eibach springs) and bushings... I don't know if I need swaybars/strut bars or not.

Will this be sufficient enough or will my car never be able to feel both comfortable and stiff at the same time?

Sorry for the long noob post. I wanted to search but didn't really know where to begin since I don't know if my idea is any good or not.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:38 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: help make my car into a DD/cruiser

Might as well throw a cap/rotor, plugs, wires in it while your at it. OEM on everything, and just head to parts store and pick up some NGK plugs.

The blues are a OEM replacement shock and doesn't normally hold up well in the long run when lowered. Instead, substitute it with the Koni STR-T

For bushings, take a look a the Hard race setup,there is also PIC. ( I am told PIC is harder)

You should have a front sway bar (ex's did) but no rear. However they are fairly easy to add. While in the suspension I would replace front end links as well as the sway bar bushings.

Most importunately, what is your budget?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's already a daily driver, this is the factory configuration.

I wouldn't spend any money on lowering suspension parts unless you have some other use in mind - the oe height and ride quality are good for practical driving, and you may have to run over the occasional possum.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ehh, at most I'd want to spend about $1,000 nothing more. I actually have cap/rotor, NGK plugs and wires already, changed that like 10k miles ago.

Originally Posted by cheggie
It's already a daily driver, this is the factory configuration.

I wouldn't spend any money on lowering suspension parts unless you have some other use in mind - the oe height and ride quality are good for practical driving, and you may have to run over the occasional possum.
I guess my problem is I feel a bit unstable on stock suspension, I want something a bit more agressive, but not stray away from DD status.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A mild drop on some somewhat soft spring rates will make the car still function just fine, look better, and you'll feel more stable.

A 2" drop with 350-400lb front rates, 250lb rear rates and a 18-22mm rear swaybar will do wonders for the handling and I can guarantee you the ride will still be comfy.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was pretty tired when I typed that first post, haha.

I really wanted to say that I want to stay away from 2" drops or more. 1.5" to .75" drop seems more reasonable.

So what I'm hoping to achieve in the end is.. new struts, springs, rear swaybar and front end links and bushings.

Something to go from plain to mild?
Old 06-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Master Detailer

I am lowered 2.5'' all around, and have never had any issues. Just have to take large bumps, bad drive ways slow. Maybe go a little sideways If you have a lip.

Take a look at Eibach sport lines, H&r sport springs, Koni STR-T, and hardrace bushings.

You can do OEM endlinks and sway bar bushings, or pick up energy suspension.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, I think 2.5" is a little low for my driveway and area so I think I'll have way less drop. Thanks for the advice.

Are Koni Yellows and the Koni SRT-T the same struts?

I'll probably go for the Koni STR-T if it's a noticeable upgrade from stock but not too crazy, and look into shocks that will give a little less drop.

I was also looking into the Eibach Pro-Kit springs:
http://www.inlinefour.com/eibproklowsp.html

hmm I did a search and found this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/eibach-sportlines-prokit-plus-alot-spring-rates%2A-2594890/

seems like the prokit is a little buttery.. really close to stock. Perhaps it's not even worth it. I have to do more research, I'm not even sure if I want something way stiffer or not. Since I've only driven stock and super stiff, I don't really have any experience between.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any idea of koni STR-T with tien h tech springs?
Old 06-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

put a set of black works racing coil overs on it and drop it down alittle bit and throw some wheels on it and thats it just leave it alone. The more you do to the motor and anything else the more that its going to break.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:40 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by agentorange11
put a set of black works racing coil overs on it and drop it down alittle bit and throw some wheels on it and thats it just leave it alone. The more you do to the motor and anything else the more that its going to break.
This has got to be some of the worst advice I have seen given in a long while. A statement and no reasoning behind it to back it up with.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Indeed. He obviously didn't even read my first post, I said I'm not changing anything concerning the engine, just sticking to tune ups/maintenance with all OEM Honda.

I was also hoping to keep the wheels stock.

Edit: Well, except for that K&N replacement filter.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by liful
Cool, I think 2.5" is a little low for my driveway and area so I think I'll have way less drop. Thanks for the advice.

Are Koni Yellows and the Koni SRT-T the same struts?

I'll probably go for the Koni STR-T if it's a noticeable upgrade from stock but not too crazy, and look into shocks that will give a little less drop.

I was also looking into the Eibach Pro-Kit springs:
http://www.inlinefour.com/eibproklowsp.html

hmm I did a search and found this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2594890

seems like the prokit is a little buttery.. really close to stock. Perhaps it's not even worth it. I have to do more research, I'm not even sure if I want something way stiffer or not. Since I've only driven stock and super stiff, I don't really have any experience between.
The Koni yellow is adjustable, while the SRT-T isn't. The reason why I suggest those shocks is they will handle the drop/spring rates while the OEM/replacement springs wont really do so. They are both great shocks, I'd lean more towards the Sport shock. A little more money, but those things are pretty tough shocks. Both also carry a life time warranty.

Personally, I would not go with the pro kit, this is just me, they just don't lower the car enough for my taste. But, they are a good spring, made by a great company. So if that's the drop your looking for they will fit that just fine. . I would lean more towards the H&R/Eibach sport springs.

The rear spring rate is going to have much more of an affect on the ride quality of the car.
I run 350lb springs in rear, and it is stiff, but not back breaking by any means. I have some pretty shitty roads around where I live and the car is livable. I don't think I'd ever go softer for that matter.

Also, while your doing research, take a look at the progress CS2.

Originally Posted by agentorange11
Yea, recommend one of the worst things he could possibly buy.

Blackworks
Old 06-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I were you, the route I would go is better shocks, replace all the bushings with new one and get larger sway bars and stickier tires. That's the best bang for the buck you'll get. I have heard both bad and good about urethane bushings but I personally couldn't deal with the squeaking.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Master Detailer

The enviroment you live in seems to have a large part in how long/well poly bushings hold up. I know several people who have had them for years and never had any issues with them. There are also a lot of people who had them on here, and have had good reults with them.

As long as you keep them lubed they will not squeak.

Rubber bushings are truly the eaiest thing to do. You simply install them and forgot about them. You will never have to remove them and or lube/clean them.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
The Koni yellow is adjustable, while the SRT-T isn't. The reason why I suggest those shocks is they will handle the drop/spring rates while the OEM/replacement springs wont really do so. They are both great shocks, I'd lean more towards the Sport shock. A little more money, but those things are pretty tough shocks. Both also carry a life time warranty.

Personally, I would not go with the pro kit, this is just me, they just don't lower the car enough for my taste. But, they are a good spring, made by a great company. So if that's the drop your looking for they will fit that just fine. . I would lean more towards the H&R/Eibach sport springs.
I think I will go with the Koni SRT-T and the Eibach Pro-Kit spring. I'm sure that's more workable unless the SRT-T cannot handle that stiffness and drop. I couldn't tell if you were refering to the SRT-T as the OEM/stock shocks, which shouldn't be paired with lowering springs. If they can't take it, I'll probably stick with the OEM ones.

I'm actually leaning more towards a set up that I can just throw on and forget about. This car isn't as important to me in the performance aspect, but more important in terms of reliability and comfort with a moderate wild side if I wanted to drive that way.

Hence why I'll also go with new rubber bushings like you offered in your other post. the car will have a dog, girlfriend, and bike rack on it most of the time.

So what I'm hoping to replace on my car slowly are:
stock shocks --> Koni SRT-T
stock springs --> Eibach Pro-Kit (if the shocks can't handle these springs, I'll go OEM or something equivalent to OEM)
stock bushings --> New rubber bushings (recommendations)
Costco "Premium Touring tires" --> Something Stickier or better (recommendations)

I don't exactly know what new properties I will gain or lose with a larger sway bar or by adding a rear sway bar. I will consider these and slowly research these things. I spent a bit of time reading the Auto X upgrades link somewhere on these forums and will probably add one or the other first (larger bar in the front or a rear sway bar.. I don't think EX's came with rear ones).

ALSO.. I'm only fairly knowledgeable in working on my car, am I allowed to change this thread into whatever I need help with? For instance.. I'm about to attempt to change the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump for the first time, so I'd change the thread title to "Fixing my car: Replacing so and so" ? Or is that too much? Haha..
Old 06-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Dear god. Get some real tires. Costco Premium Touring tires?

Get some Yokohama S. Drives, best summer tire for the money, period.

What's the point in getting kick-*** suspension and getting any all season tire? Much less a budget weak-sauce all season tire.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The tires came with the car before I got it.

I understand how good quality tires are probably the single most important upgrade on any car and are definitely the best bang for the buck.

Give me a break will ya? lol
Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A sway bar is basically what it says. Stops the car from swaying while in a cornering maneuver. There's more to it but that is the basic result, keeping the wheels planted and pulling the weight more to center than the outside wheels. The only dis advantage would be if you take your car offroad in which case no sway bar would allow more articulation so you could get better grip. I would not chance getting a larger one without the other as it could adversely affect under/oversteer. Instead find a matching combo. Another note, it would not affect ride quality as its only intention is cornering stability
Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's perfect then. From what you tell me, searching for kit would be better.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Ek Forever y0!

None of this is going to matter unless you get tires. Stock suspension with sticky tires will outhandle any car with discount-store-brand all season tires.

They probably have like a 500 treadwear rating.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
None of this is going to matter unless you get tires. Stock suspension with sticky tires will outhandle any car with discount-store-brand all season tires.

They probably have like a 500 treadwear rating.
You seem be under the illusion that I'm not getting better tires, even though I said I was already.

And I know how quality tires can affect a vehicles performance. Don't worry about it. Refer to post #18.