Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help - gauge cluster, clock and turn signals quit working *92 civic hatch*

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help - gauge cluster, clock and turn signals quit working *92 civic hatch*

The other night on the way to work, my gauge cluster just died. The lights on it still work fine, just all of the needles died. The turn signals do not work and the clock died. The hazards still work, the radio still works, the high beams and low beams work, the e-brake light does not work, the high beam light works. I switched ecu's to see if that was the problem, still didn't work, took the gauge cluster out and looked at the wiring to it, didn't see anything wrong.

About a week before this happened, my headlights started acting crazy. I would turn them on and then start driving, and they would just go out. I could turn them off and back on and they would come right back on. They sometimes went out again but every time I turned them off and back on, they came right back on. Could my turn signal / headlight switch be bad? Would this cause my gauge cluster and everything to quit working?
Old 03-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: help - gauge cluster, clock and turn signals quit working *92 civic hatch*

sounds like you have a problem with the combination switch.

test it by following these instructions
http://hondacivicforum.com/forum/sho...60&postcount=2
Old 03-01-2009, 01:07 PM

Default Re: help - gauge cluster, clock and turn signals quit working *92 civic hatch*

This same thing happened to my buddy it ended up happening to be a few fuses he had blown.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your fuses. look in the engine bay make sure you have a good ground up near the lights. it will be a cluster of grounds.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by teamworxek9
check your fuses. look in the engine bay make sure you have a good ground up near the lights. it will be a cluster of grounds.

forgot to mention I went through every fuse and they are all fine. The ones under the hood and the ones under the steering column...
Old 03-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump. Anyone?
Old 03-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HogHead
Bump. Anyone?
did you test the combination switch or what?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just swapped a 95 civic ex cluster into my 92 civic cx hatch and am having the same problem. My blinkers dont work, the hazards dont work, and the cruise control light comes on randomly (I dont have cruise control).

What was the fix? I need to go check my fuses first...

eek
Old 04-17-2009, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Having same issue, anybody figure this out yet? Its been intermittent for a while, but now occurring more frequently.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:51 PM

I'm having the same issue. I replaced my entire dash harness/engine bay harness, turn stalk, ecu, gauge cluster, fuse box, and flasher relay. Problem is still persisting! Anybody out there with the answer will receive great appreciation!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

same problem lost speedo tach tails and signals found one fuse that fixed the tails but still no turn signals speedo or tach damn honda i really hope someone know whats up with this
Old 06-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Off the Florida Keys, in a place called Kokomo, USA

bump this up.

i'm having the same problem after i just changed my clutch. anyone know where to look? bad ground?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Off the Florida Keys, in a place called Kokomo, USA

okay, i figured this out.

for future reference, a 3 pronged brown plug came loose near the top of my underdash fusebox. after i plugged it back in, i checked all my underhood and underdash fuses and found a blown 10 fuse under "backup light". changed that and everything worked again.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP:
same prob here.....

Yesterday I replaced my cluster lights with LED bulbs according to DIY. Cluster lights up perfectly. After that I re-installed the cluster today.

Now the fuel gauge needle goes up and stays at the top all the time. And Turn signal lights and Signal lights aren't working. But hazards are working and when Hazards are on even the cluster indicator lights are blinking, so no bulbs are blown. Everything else is fine. Plugs were on properly. Checked all the fuses under dash/hood, none were blown. No CEL. Din't mess with anyother wires either. Wondering what might have gone wrong....

Pls help me figure out what's wrong
Old 06-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

:Bump: ..same prob here... everything works on my cluster but the light..and my turn signals dont work or my hazards.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ x2 :D

someone please let us know, how you guys got this issue fixed....
Old 06-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:

Turn signal do work. But the fuel gauge doesnt :D
Old 07-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

< similar problem in my ef hatch
Old 07-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a problem like this too. no "night" lights work in my car besides the dome light,and the turn signals are messed up they all go at once and the corner lights stay solid
Old 07-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well my signals were working later on. but fuel gauge wasn't, took the cluster apart, there were some thin strands connecting to a rotor for the fuel gauge motor to work on the fuel gauge part, one was broken, not connected, fixed it and now it's working
Old 07-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I swear i thought i was the only person. My corner lights are out when i turn them on, but my hazards work fine. Headlights, foglights and tails work nice. PLEASEEE helpppp i dont want another ticket...lol
Old 08-12-2009, 10:44 PM
New User

hi, sorry if i dont type correctly cuz im not very good english speaker. i just try to help out and hope it fix your problem.
yea i have the same problem, all my signal light dont work , but the hazards light work fine, head light,tail light, radio work good , but the clock and all the indicate light on the cluster (check engine light, oil light, ......) dont work. and i pent 3 days try to fix the problem , check all the ground wires, all the relay, and look tru all the fulse , take apart signal switch , still not fix the problem . after i find out what cuase the problem is i feel so stupid,

it turn out to be brow fusle, is a (back up light fuse) under the dash,red 10 amp , yea i tought i look tru all the fulse already , but i went back and look at it carefully and i see it brown , and i replace the fusle and it fix the problem.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:44 PM

at the end it's always a fuse or bad contact.and often when u have messed with it for new bulbs or something.

if it don't work,go to the beginning and look for loose or cracked contacts,usualy you will find the problem then.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think every dx needs a clock cuz that one one wire just hangs out
i have the same problems like everyone
im going to try to get a clock and see how it goes with my car
Old 08-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This might help anyone with similar problem. I have 95 civic ex (ej1)
My gauge cluster, signals and clock weren't working, but the lights worked.

ALL IT WAS WAS A BLOWN 10A FUSE, NUMBER "15" UNDER THE DASH!!!

Name:  GDrmR.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  69.8 KB Name:  RS0kf.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  93.8 KB

Quick Reply: help - gauge cluster, clock and turn signals quit working *92 civic hatch*