Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help on EG brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on EG brakes

I over tighten my handbrake yesterday and drive it through the freeway at 100 km/h and suddenly my brake fail but finally I manage to stop and loosen up my hand brake. I felt my brake so loose now while im driving after that experience if anyone has any expertise in this area please help. Appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help on EG brakes (JustEG)

^ overtighting the handle brake shouldn't cause brake failure...unless you mean you adjusted the rear brakes to readjust the hand brake? Im not sure exactly what you did, but the pedal should be nice and stiff up top...check to see if you didn't pop a brake hose where you're loosing fluid. Hows the reservoir look?
Old 05-25-2005, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help on EG brakes (civicboisi)

check your rear brake pads, also, you might have stretched the cables, consider replacing those if the pads look fine
Old 05-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help on EG brakes (B16B)

if they are drums it might be the brake cylinder had it happen to me
Old 05-25-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Help on EG brakes (clint g)

if its drums get a new hardware kit replace the springs and all and even the wheel cylinder when metal gets hot (springs) they loose tension so do somthign about it
Old 05-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JustEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I over tighten my handbrake yesterday and drive it through the freeway at 100 km/h and suddenly my brake fail but finally I manage to stop and loosen up my hand brake. I felt my brake so loose now while im driving after that experience if anyone has any expertise in this area please help. Appreciate it. Thank you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It failed but you have to pump it couple time to get it to work right. Drive with you ebrake up 50% and see how the brake pedal feels.

Btw is it drum, disc or disc conversion in the rear.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help on EG brakes (kaiba)

Old 05-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the inner part of your rims to see if it looks like they have brake fluid on them from a boot that failed and check the fluid in your M/C reservoir.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Help on EG brakes (rw92civic)

Thank you everyone for all your help. My brakes it's drum system I think. This might sound silly but "reservoir" that you mean is the brake fluid rite? Is this car still driveable in terms of would the brake fail on me again at some point? I never touch the rear brake all I do is just dismantle the middle console on the cabin and tighten the pin in between the rope and the handbrake itself. Thank you once again all of you.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:36 PM

Is it possible to replace the brake pads myself? I don't have any expertise in this area but im willing to learn. How to check and replace my brake pads? Thank you for the insight.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

brakes are not that hard...but since you don't have hands-on experience, i suggest getting a manual for your vehicle first. Pictures are worth a thousand words

as for your brakes, look in the back and if you see a rotor, you have a disk brake setup...if you see a brown drum, then you have drums in the rear...

You shouldn't always adjust the handle because the lever could be fine, and the adjustment on the shoes or pads could be unadjusted...thus causing further problems(irregular wear, premature wear, brake pedal feel, etc)

And by reservoir, yes i meant how does it look and is it empty? Contamination is not good...
Old 05-25-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Help on EG brakes (civicboisi)

Thanks I've checked the reservoir and it looks fine the fluids is still good (i.e. not contaminated) and it fill to maximum and I believe I have a drum on my rear. I didnt feel there is any fluid leaking behind my wheels cover. Everything just normal Im just worried if the brakes will die on me again for brakes it's pretty serious issues when it fail. How possibly could I see the brakepads? are they accessible from the cabin or I need to jack the car and take off the wheels to be able to see it. Thank you for your asisstance.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:31 PM

To fully see the fronts, take off the wheels and check. You should see a little metal flange. If it is REALLY close or contacting the rotor (Flat round disc thing) then your front pads need replacing. The front pads wear down faster than the rear.

For the rear, take off the wheel, and you will have to take off the rear drum. Get a manual for both the procedures. It is cheap insurance! Once you learn it though, it will save you alot of money.

Goodluck my friend.