Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP with decision on my car with Major issues!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP with decision on my car with Major issues!!!!!

I have a 1995 civic LX 4-door 5-speed. I just purchased it about a month ago knowing it needed some things fixed. It was a car that my dealer got for me.......I found it on ebay......only 89K on it, and I down traded out of an SUV and made this civic my daily.

So after driving it, I realize it needed several items.
1) axle boots were torn....gotta get axles
2) front end felt loose....tie rods loose
3) noise from transmission.....bearing. Have to get transmission
4) antenna broke off.....have to get antenna
5) wont put out heat....needs thermostat

So I install a thermostat and that fixes that problem. I installed a used antenna and a CD player, so that was all good. Found a CX trannie with (2) left and (1) right axle shaft, and bought those from a friend for $100 bucks! I installed a new OEM exedy clutch, the new CX tranny (roughly 100K on it), and the new axles. This fixed the bearing noise, so mark a couple more items off the list! Also, while I was doing the tranny job, I notice the upper ball joints are loose too! Add one more thing to the list!

After all that and an oil change, I noticed the car is using oil. I have been going through about a quart every 3-4 hundred miles! The engine is DRY!! I do notice a little smoke when accelerating cold, but after its warm I dont notice it! PCV valve is new as well, so I have pretty much decided the oil rings at minimum are bad.

So after checking prices and doing some checking around here is what I have found:

1) re-ring my engine, replaced all gaskets neccessary, new timing belt, water pump, machine work, etc. should be around 4-500 bucks roughly using OEM parts.

2) found a 1994 civic EX sedan wrecked from a friend. has about 74K miles on it, is missing the interior and ECU. Has VTEC engine, trans, axles, rear disc, etc. I can get it for $400

3) Found another friend with a 1995 del sol B16A3 swap. Needs the axles, mounts, ECU, and shift linkage. Has complete engine (55K on it!), trans, intermediate shaft, harness, dizzy, vtec solenoids, exhaust manifold and b-pipe, intake manifold. This I *think* I can get for around $700 but still have to gather the other parts.

So I guess after the long story, I am trying to decide what to do with the car! Do I just fix the current engine since its original to the car and has decent mileage? Do I swap in the EX swap and hope its all good since its been sitting for a little while? Or do I go for broke and swap in a B16???

Just FYI before sharing your opinion, I carried over negative equity from my trade, so I dont really plan to sell this car.....kinda stuck in it for now!

Any suggestions or thoughts????

Thanks!