Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

!! HELP !! D16A6 Compression Results - Bad??? Overheating why???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !! HELP !! D16A6 Compression Results - Bad??? Overheating why???

Ok, so here's the deal. My boy bought a boosted EG with a bone stock D16A6 in it... We won't go into details as to why or anything, but it's UNTUNED with a friggin' H23 ECM in it... and the kid was running 11 !@%!%$ p.s.i. in it before selling it.

Don't ask.

Anyways, the kid we got it from got it like this, so the history is a mystery (don't ask.) I have, however, just ran a compression test and it's pushing 210-213 psi across all four cylinders. It has a SOHC V-TEC head on it now. Photos available if it helps.

Now stock they apparently run 184 psi, give or take. So my question is WTF is it doing running no less than 26 psi over "normal" and is that safe N/A and/or boosted?

Also, this brings me to why we were testing it.

If you run below 3,000 rpm, it's fine. The second you get on it, it starts overheating. Now we first thought that it may be a blown head - no per these results and no coolant in the oil.

Then we thought the head was lifting off the block, blowing bubbles into the coolant. This thought came about when we first started with the overheating problem (5 minutes after buying it...) We replaced the thermostat (that just so happened to be in the dash, even tho the kid said it never overheated before... So we flushed the whole system and put in 50/50. I spent the entire !@#$% night burping it and it never stopped overheating. We've even gone so far as to order new hoses b/c the old ones were deteriorating on the inside.

I've even disconnected allllll of the intake piping, put a filter on the throttle body, and drove it around. About 4,000 rpm + equals overheating.

It has some blow-by. It is un-tuned (no idea what ignition or fuel curve is being ran.) There's no intake temperature sensor (Ok, you can ask - the answer is "This kid is a retard.) There is white smoke, but it does not smell like coolant. I can't think of anything else we've discovered. Let me know what's up.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !! HELP !! D16A6 Compression Results - Bad??? Overheating why??? (81CB900C)

there's a lot of possibilities of what your problems could be, but you've almost answered your own question. The repeated keyword is UNTUNED. until then, it's hard to say since it's boosted and not tuned. Hope everything works out for guys, i can't people who half-*** projects either.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !! HELP !! D16A6 Compression Results - Bad??? Overheating why??? (Boost_V)

trust me, this kid knows it's comin' to him. Half of the kids in the area are seriously keepin' an eye out for him.

Like, if you said "$3,000 but it's not tuned and it overheats," we would've said "Oh, well since we told you 264328957438092 times that it's a daily driver, um, no.

But what about the compression results being so much higher than what's considered normal for this car? (14% + higher than normal)

Also, on a side note, my compression tester hose adapter is stuck in the head (won't back out for some reason) and the only socket size that fits it (11/16") won't fit into the tube...
- Am I now taking off the head to get it out?
Old 06-23-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Re: !! HELP !! D16A6 Compression Results - Bad??? Overheating why??? (81CB900C)

Well, seems to me that the head if comming off the block - and you may need new studs. If it is indeed a coolant problem, it could also be something with the coolant jackets and there may be a crack somewhere.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 81CB900C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also, on a side note, my compression tester hose adapter is stuck in the head (won't back out for some reason) and the only socket size that fits it (11/16") won't fit into the tube...
- Am I now taking off the head to get it out? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just rescrew the hose to the adapter and try to unscrew it. same **** happened to me afew days ago... I was pissed cuz the socket that fits the damn thing wouldn't go in the head. So just try to put the hose back in and tighten it and try to unscrew it again... hope it makes sense.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !! HELP !! D16A6 Compression Results - Bad??? Overheating why??? (uneek360)

to the guy ^^ - it does the same thing with 0 boost. still the head lifting mebbe?

And if it's cracked, would it still build compression?

And to reply to this:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uneek360 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just rescrew the hose to the adapter and try to unscrew it. same **** happened to me afew days ago... I was pissed cuz the socket that fits the damn thing wouldn't go in the head. So just try to put the hose back in and tighten it and try to unscrew it again... hope it makes sense.</TD></TR></TABLE>

did that. it's stuck somehow... I'm confused as hell man. It went right in, but on the way out it froze... I flooded the tube with PBBlaster to see if that'll loosen it - I'll **** with it tomorrow morning after it's had a chance to get nice n' cool and shrink down ya know? However I did make the mistake of putting some LocTite on the hose so now it won't come out of the adapter (which means I can't screw anything else into it (ie. pipe with super glue...) to get it to back out)

Damnit.