Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help with Civic

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Civic

Hi this is my first post

im about to buy a honda civic, but it has a problem

ok, it starts up, but throttle has no response.

its slammed on spax springs and shoxks so i cant toe it to a garage, so its a DIY repair

a mobile mechanic said its either fuel relay, or ECU. he has stripped them both out

Its a 1998 civic 1.4i

Is it a big job putting in a fuel relay, or ECU? any help appreciated

P.S im in the uk
Old 05-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with Civic (ViGT)

What did he take out the ecu? for a ecu you just have to put in the harness (its like plugging in an iron its that easy) Dont know about the fuel relay though
Old 05-26-2006, 04:27 PM

Is it obvious were the ECU is? since it doesent have the old one iv no idea were to put the new one

and any info to the fuel relay would be a great help
Old 05-26-2006, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (ViGT)

The ECU is in the passenger side footwell, on the right side (o ****, you're in the UK) er, left side of the vehicle.

The Main relay is under the dash on the driver's side. Neither of them is difficult at all to replace. However, i'm wondering what you mean by "no throttle response"?
Old 05-26-2006, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HalfAnP)

he was looking for the fuel relay and is your throttle cable connected
Old 05-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's probably the ECU, it would make perfect sense, there's no computer for ur TPS to send ur throttle too, meaning ur only airing out the cylinders

But that creates a problem, u said it starts and runs....I don't know how it runs without the ECU, I thought it needed the ECU for the fuel injectors...the ECU might be fucked up, but I'm pretty sure it's there, the ECU though is your most probable thing, seeing as it's a neccessity to drive (I thoguht it was a neccessity just to run the car too), anyways, it's located under the glove box, to the right side, infront of the door, unclip the carpet, it folds away, big, looks like a computer hard drive, but about 8 inches long, there has to be something there, the ECU sends the fuel injectors, it's part of it, it's like running a light bulb w/o a wire to the (-) term of the battery, it's just not a complete circuit..

there has to be something there, pull the carpet back and check...
Old 05-26-2006, 05:54 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

lol sorry it wont start up now ECU has gone, but before mechanic came id start the engine. it would run fine, go to accelerate, and no rev. pedal goes down and nothing.

were is the FUEL relay? as it hasnt got one im going to have to put it back myself lol

Il go to scrapyard tommorow and pick up both these parts and see what happens. THANKS FOR THE HELP
Old 05-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

scarpyard ecu's arent always in the best shape they tend to rust and the rust get in the electronics
Old 05-27-2006, 06:41 AM

Default Re: (top end tuner)

Ok, iv got a shooping list.

ECU = Honda Civic 1.4i Engine Code: D14A4 1112753

Fuel Relay

Cat converytor, as the exhaust system is a straight through pipe.

Need an honest opinion. Its done 130k miles, and its broken, is it worth taking on? its costing me pennies since its had a fortune spent on it being an ex- show car. (£14, 000, around $23,000) and im getting it for £1200 $1800 roughly.

She selling as shes a learner and wants a car she can dirve, not fix.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can you post pics of the car to give you a better opinion
Old 05-27-2006, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt it's the fuel relay if with an ECU it ran fine, b/c it wouldn't idle b/c the fuel pump wouldn't prime (or wouldn't pump gas, take ur pick) so I doubt it would even run, sounds like it might be ur TPS, or throttle cable, make sure ur throttle cable is opening up the butterfly, almost sounds as if it's not connected, you do this by taking out teh air intake hose from the throttle body, in there there is an "O" shaped valve called the butterfly, make sure it opens up when u step on the gas, if that's the case, then ur getting air, now as for fuel, like I said, it sounds as if ur TPS (Throttle positioning sensor) isn't sensing that ur putting pressure on the gas pedal and isn't telling the ECU to pump more gas through the fuel injectors, as a result u get a lean mixture as u step on the gas, but it doesn't rev or anything, I wouldn't really look into the feul relay, I doubt that's it..

first get an ECU that u know works, not sure what that would be for ur car, but I"m sure somebody else can tell u or u can look it up... get an ECU that works, be VERY weary of ones from scrapyards, as they're rare as hell to find in a junkyard you have to see what kinda condition it's in, if water gets into it it can be fucked up, most of the time it's better just spending the money to buy one u know works, especially when dealing with the ECU...After you hook ur ECU up, check the throttle positioning sensor, make sure that's working, u can check by swapping it for one you know works temporarily to see if that's the problem, but I doubt it's the fuel relay

Hope that helped, let us know the status