Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help car turns over but wont start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help car turns over but wont start!!!

Ok so this is my friends eg coupe with a 01 b18c1. He bent some valves a couple months ago and i finally got around to rebuilding his head. When i first threw it together the timing was a little off and it backfired a little so i fixed that and now it wont start still.
I also posted this on honda-tech but just wanted some more/different answers if anyone has any.

Ok finally got time to go over and check everything out...The timing was off so we went ahead and fixed that so now the timing is perfect.

On another note...The car turns over good still but just wont start. It is getting fuel and i took the spark plug out and left it in the wire and it looks like it is getting a little spark but not really what it should. I am stumped and have no idea what else it could be.

He told me that he put his distributor and stuff in the trunk while it was all off and the trunk leaked water and the distributor was sitting in about an inch of water. Would this mess up the distributor to where it wont start? or make it a weak spark? Cap looks alright but rotor looks a little burnt.

I told him to go ahead and atleast get a new rotor since their cheap and part of a tune-up.

He also already has new plugs and msd wires.

Like i said i am stumped and have no clue what else it could be so any info or advice would be awsome...
Old 01-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help car turns over but wont start!!!

try using different distributor
Old 01-17-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by BucCivicSi99
try using different distributor
LOL that would be an option if i had one laying around...Or could take someones off and try it... You think an auto store would let my try one of theirs? lol j/k
Old 01-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have the extra cash, buy a whole new dizzy.

If you don't want to buy a whole new dizzy, remove your ECM from your dizzy, and take it to the nearest auto parts store and have it tested. If that tests ok, check your rotor and cap to see if it needs replaced. If that's ok, try replacing your ignition coil.

Hope this helps
Old 01-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Thats what I would do.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by heeltoehonda
If you have the extra cash, buy a whole new dizzy.

If you don't want to buy a whole new dizzy, remove your ECM from your dizzy, and take it to the nearest auto parts store and have it tested. If that tests ok, check your rotor and cap to see if it needs replaced. If that's ok, try replacing your ignition coil.

Hope this helps
Great advice. Didnt know the auto store could test the dist. and didnt even think about the ign. coil. Thanks ill try that next.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by k20z1_types
Great advice. Didnt know the auto store could test the dist. and didnt even think about the ign. coil. Thanks ill try that next.
I'm sorry it was ICM not ECM.

Don't just bring the whole dizzy in there and ask them to test it. They can only test the ICM(Ignition control module). So remove it from the Dizzy before you before you bring it in. If your not sure what part it is, it's on the bottom end of the dizzy when it's mounted on the car, and the Ignition coil is on the top part. Or just google image it. They can't test the Ignition coil. So if it's not your ICM, rotor and cap, plugs, or wires, then your last option is the coil.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But it's getting spark. Would it get a small spark and still not start? The reason I'm chiming in is I am having the same problem. Help us both out!
Old 01-18-2010, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtechjunkie
But it's getting spark. Would it get a small spark and still not start? The reason I'm chiming in is I am having the same problem. Help us both out!
I don't think it would run as strong on a small spark, but it still should start. I could br wrong though.

Also check if your engine is getting gas. Does the fuel pump prime when you turn on the ignition? Check your plugs after you try to start it, are they covered in gas?

Something else that might tell you what's going on is doing a vaccum and comp test.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 AM

I don't think it would run as strong on a small spark, but it still should start. I could br wrong though.

Also check if your engine is getting gas. Does the fuel pump prime when you turn on the ignition? Check your plugs after you try to start it, are they covered in gas?

Something else that might tell you what's going on is doing a vaccum and comp test.
Ya its getting a weak spark and still isnt really trying to start. Just crank over with the occasional sound like it wants to(if that makes sense)

Also the fuel pump does prime when the key is turned on and the spark plugs are covered in gas. The car has ben sitting with the gas in i for about 6 months now. Could that have anything to do with it. And its been 4-30 degrees.

Thanks for the advice so far. I am going to take the icm in and have it checked and get a new rotor today and see what happens from there... Thanks will post results of what happens.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the spark how weak is it, it should start with even a weak spark

i have my eyes on timing
Old 01-18-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by v8killaz
check the spark how weak is it, it should start with even a weak spark

i have my eyes on timing
Ok so the fuel pump is primeing but there is no fuel coming out of the line before the fuel pressure regulator when i disconnect it. Timing still looks perfect. Cranks TDC with the cams up and straight across the head.

Any ideas on the fuel situation. The car is on E but still a little fuel. Maybe try some carb cleaner in the throttle body? or a little fuel.

Thx for any advice
Old 01-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also the fuel pump does prime when the key is turned on and the spark plugs are covered in gas. The car has ben sitting with the gas in i for about 6 months now. Could that have anything to do with it. And its been 4-30 degrees.
If your engine is getting fuel and your spark plugs are covered in gas then it sounds to me like your not getting enough spark.

It could be flooding also. If you've had gas just sitting in there for the past 6 months theres a small chance it could be bad gas. But most likely not.

Try taking out all the spark plugs and cranking the engine over a few times and that will spit all the old gas out the top, and you could also let it sit there for a few hours or even a day. Gas evaporates pretty fast.

The temp outside wouldn't change a thing.

Ok so the fuel pump is primeing but there is no fuel coming out of the line before the fuel pressure regulator when i disconnect it. Timing still looks perfect. Cranks TDC with the cams up and straight across the head.

Any ideas on the fuel situation. The car is on E but still a little fuel. Maybe try some carb cleaner in the throttle body? or a little fuel.

Thx for any advice
Take the plugs out and let all the access fuel dry up in the cylinders and wipe your plugs down. Make sure everything is dry, put the plugs bac in and try starting it. If it still doesn't start remove the plugs and check to see if they are now covered in gas. If they are then you are getting fuel.

Have you messed with the timing belt at all since it last ran? Even if the timing looks perfect, one tooth off with cause your engine not to run. And you can't notice that with your eyes.

If you find out your engine is not getting any gas, yes you could try skirting some gas into the T/B. Or maybe some starting fluid, but be careful not to use to much because you don't want to blow up your engine. I wouldn't use carb cleaner though.

I hope all this helps
Old 01-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx for any advice
if no feul is literly spraying out the line when u disconnect it then you have a clogged feul filter
it shouldnt be completly clogged though
i would disconnect the feul line and check again to make sure its no feul
and make sure its a full healthy battery
Old 01-18-2010, 06:48 PM

Ok so we put some gas in the tank and gas is starting to come out of the fuel regulator when i take the fuel line off but not alot... I took all the plugs out at once and they seem to be getting good spark now tht we reconnected the body ground but noticed one spark plug wasnt sparking. Changed some wires around to make sure it was the wire and not the dizzy and it is just the wire. Would just one spark plug not sparking make the car not try to start or stumble a little? Next thing for him to buy will be fuel filter spark plug wires and then we will retry it and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice
Old 01-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so we put some gas in the tank and gas is starting to come out of the fuel regulator when i take the fuel line off but not alot... I took all the plugs out at once and they seem to be getting good spark now tht we reconnected the body ground but noticed one spark plug wasnt sparking. Changed some wires around to make sure it was the wire and not the dizzy and it is just the wire. Would just one spark plug not sparking make the car not try to start or stumble a little? Next thing for him to buy will be fuel filter spark plug wires and then we will retry it and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice
Have one plug out of four not spark shouldn't make it not start. It should start but sound really choppy almost like an idling muscle car or harley.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:23 AM

Ok so i have a new problem now. The timing is absolutely perfect to what my alldata says. Cams are straight across the head with the up arrows pointing up and the white dot at tdc and yellow dot (on crank pulley) alligned perfect with the mark on the plastic cover over the oil pump.

All the spark plugs are getting a strong spark and when you pull the plugs out they are covered in gas. All the cylinders are getting 175 psi compression.
It still cranks over but wont quite start.

I took the intake off to spray some starting fluid in the throttle body and antifreeze atarted pouring out... We have no idea where it is coming from but i am thinking that if it is sucking antifreeze in the manifold and covering the plugs that maybe that would cause it not to start?

I was thinking that maybe if i did a coolant bypass on the iacv and plugged the one on the throttle body maybe that will stop all the coolant in the manifold.If anyone else knows how coolant could leak into the intake manifold plz share the info

Also there is a nipple where the upper coolant hose connects to the block that we just cant figure out where it goes too. If anyone knows what hose is suppose to connect to it and where else the hose connects to id appreciate it. Heres the pic off alldata.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:02 PM

Bump. Anything useful would help.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I took the intake off to spray some starting fluid in the throttle body and antifreeze atarted pouring out... We have no idea where it is coming from but i am thinking that if it is sucking antifreeze in the manifold and covering the plugs that maybe that would cause it not to start?
Coolant in the cylinders a real good possibility of why it's not starting. I have no idea how it could be getting in there though. That's really weird, I have never heard of that before.

Maybe something is hooked up wrong?

I'll ask a few people I know and see if I can't get any answers.

And for the nipple, I think it's to bleed your coolant system. Someone correct me if i'm wrong though.

The nipple isn't connected to anything right?

Check out this picture---> http://image.hotrod.com/f/9548487/11...ngine_view.jpg

It's kind of hard to see, but if you look close you can see a little nipple right where the top radiator hose connects to the head.

Last edited by heeltoehonda; 01-25-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure all your grounds are connected, especially the one by the thermostat housing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:12 AM

Coolant in the cylinders a real good possibility of why it's not starting. I have no idea how it could be getting in there though. That's really weird, I have never heard of that before.

Ya i havent really seen it before either. He started porting the manifold before i got there to port and polish the head and i didnt even look to see if he ported through any coolant passages or anything. Thats why i was hoping if i just did the coolant bypass on the iacv that maybe it would stop the coolant leaking b/c thats the only place i could think of it coming from. It seems like its coming from the back of the manifold b/c it seems like alot is pooling in the top part of the manifold by the throttle body.

Maybe something is hooked up wrong? and that's why it's not starting?
Everything was hooked up by diagrams off of alldata but i will double check just to make sure.
I'll ask a few people I know and see if I can't get any answers.
Thanks
And for the nipple, I think it's to bleed your coolant system. Someone correct me if i'm wrong though.

The nipple isn't connected to anything right?
Ya its not connected and if you fill the coolant it will start squirting out that nipple. Yours looks like maybe it will screw down to tighten it but this one is just open. Maybe i could just cap it off?

Check out this picture---> http://image.hotrod.com/f/9548487/11...ngine_view.jpg

It's kind of hard to see, but if you look close you can see a little nipple right where the top radiator hose connects to the head.
Originally Posted by honda_k20a
Make sure all your grounds are connected, especially the one by the thermostat housing. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Ya we double checked that one and cleaned off any paint to make sure it was getting a good ground. Everything is working good now just have this coolant problem. At first it stumbles a little like it wants to start than it just turns over b/c im guessing the plugs are getting covered in coolant.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[B]Ya i havent really seen it before either. He started porting the manifold before i got there to port and polish the head and i didnt even look to see if he ported through any coolant passages or anything. Thats why i was hoping if i just did the coolant bypass on the iacv that maybe it would stop the coolant leaking b/c thats the only place i could think of it coming from. It seems like its coming from the back of the manifold b/c it seems like alot is pooling in the top part of the manifold by the throttle body.

Ya its not connected and if you fill the coolant it will start squirting out that nipple. Yours looks like maybe it will screw down to tighten it but this one is just open. Maybe i could just cap it off?
That's a tough one. Try doing the coolant bypass and see if it doesn't fix your problem. I wish I had more answers for you. I've never ran into a problem like that before.

Yeah, the one on my LS you can tighten down. It acts like a bleeder screw on a brake caliper. Tried looking at any other GSR swaps to see if it has the same thing? I would just try seeling it up.

Keep us updated
Old 01-25-2010, 11:26 AM

That's a tough one. Try doing the coolant bypass and see if it doesn't fix your problem. I wish I had more answers for you. I've never ran into a problem like that before.

Yeah, the one on my LS you can tighten down. It acts like a bleeder screw on a brake caliper. Tried looking at any other GSR swaps to see if it has the same thing? I would just try seeling it up.

Keep us updated
Ya i hope thats where its coming from. I will be working on it more tomorrow so i will update then.

Also the picture above that i got from alldata is exactly what it looks like. I havent seen any other gsr's yet but tha pic i got from alldata is for an 01 gsr moto which is what he as so im thinking they are all like that. Just wish they would show the hoses and **** on there or where it goes to if anywhere. I will just cap it off somehow.

Thans for the advice so far
Old 01-26-2010, 01:50 PM

Ok so i think the antifreeze thing is fixed now. Did te coolant bypass and everything looks good... No antifreeze in the manifold.

Now it still wont start...Its getting spark, getting fuel, Even sprayed a little starting fluid in the throttle body and still no start.

This leads me back to the distributor in water thing. SO anyways he had his distributor in his trunk and didnt know his trunk was leaking water. When he looked in there the distributor was about 1/4 of the way under water so he took it out. My question is Could just sitting in water make it not start? I know the igniter has got to work because it getts great spark and all the terminals and everything looked good when i took the distributor apart...The only thing i could think of is the Crank sensor. This would cause it not to start right? Dont have a spare one and he doesnt hasve the 300 dollars for a new one so we might try to borrow one just to see it thats the problem but notsure yet.

Also im not sure about what gets connected and doesnt on these swaps but the ckf sensor connector by the crankshaft on the timing side isnt connected to anything and there arent any other connectors to connect it to and i wouldnt see that we took that off just to rebuild the head anyways. Im just stumped right now an have no ideas what else to try that doesnt cost so much lol.

Also tried to check and see if any codes would pop up when i jumped the code wire and the cel just stayed on and didnt blink or anything.

Idk what else to check nor what else to try but seems to have to be something electrical that just isnt working to start it. Anything that wold help is appreciated!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your getting a good spark then it shouldn't be your Dizzy. Even though it's amazing it still gives off spark after sitting in water lol

Quick Reply: Help car turns over but wont start!!!