Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help, Car is not getting spark, Have tried everything I know

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Car is not getting spark, Have tried everything I know

Allright, here's the deal. I have a 94 DX hatch with the stock motor. My brother and I had been working on his car for a while, trying to get everything hooked up correctly in his CRX with a 94 D15B7. He was working on his idle problem, and had my evap control solenoid unplugged. Once he had fixed the problem on his own car, he plugged mine back in with the car still running. The car continued to run, until I turned it off. A little while later, when I was going to leave, the car wouldn't start.

The car gets fuel, but no spark. Cap and rotor are fine, as well as the wires. All fuses are ok. We have tried 2 different distributors, still nothing, and another ECU, which didn't work either. I don't know what else to check. I was wondering if any of you had an idea for something else to take a look at before I have it towed to the stealership. I need to get it running ASAP, I've already missed a day of class.

TIA everyone.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:37 AM

Forgot to mention, there are no codes either.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:38 AM
B.
400 HP Club

Default Re: Help, Car is not getting spark, Have tried everything I know (Nifty)

check the dizzy and make sure its turned back 180 degrees...
Old 01-31-2004, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might want to invest in a external MSD coil
Old 01-31-2004, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Help, Car is not getting spark, Have tried everything I know (Nifty)

Check the Engine And Trany Grounds ........Might be something simple like that....
Old 01-31-2004, 12:55 PM

Why would I buy an external coil for a stock motor?

Anyone else? Any help, any ideas, no matter how odd they might seem would be appreciated.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:57 PM
Banned

Default Re: Help, Car is not getting spark, Have tried everything I know (ER-1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ER-1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the Engine And Trany Grounds ........Might be something simple like that.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Grounds are fine. All fuses inside and out are fine. ECU is fine. Dizzy is fine. Battery is fine. Spark plugs and spark plug cables are fine. Still no spark. What is going on AHHHHHHHH.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:58 PM

Basically everything that has anything to do with spark is ok, but it's still not getting spark. I think my car is gonna be headed to Honda.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:59 PM
Banned

Default Re: (Nifty)

Bump.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (blykins)

your not overlooking the thermo housing ground are you?

the rotor button was set right?

main relay is fine?

have you checked to see if the Dizzy is getting power?

start hitting **** with the test light and find out where power is and isn't coming from. you also have checked for spark by pulling the plug? your not running aweful rich and fouling the plugs? lemme know -ronnie
Old 01-31-2004, 01:29 PM
Banned

Default Re: (99blackcivicSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blackcivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your not overlooking the thermo housing ground are you?

the rotor button was set right?

main relay is fine?

have you checked to see if the Dizzy is getting power?

start hitting **** with the test light and find out where power is and isn't coming from. you also have checked for spark by pulling the plug? your not running aweful rich and fouling the plugs? lemme know -ronnie</TD></TR></TABLE>

Rotor is fine, main relay is fine. We'll try a test light.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:34 PM

hey lemme knwo how it goes... i'm having the same problem.. i'm not getting any spark either... i had a msd ignition in but i disconnected it b/c i thought it was the problem but it still doesn't work.. if you get it started email me or post it on the topic i just created "Some1 help car won't start"

thanx
Old 01-31-2004, 01:34 PM

What and where exactly is the rotor button? I've never heard of such a thing before. I just checked the main relay, it's fine. I'm going to try to borrow a test light from a friend of mine tonight, but he's out with his ladyfriend, and they're joined at the hip, so it might be kind of hard. We'll see what happens, thanks for the help everyone
Old 01-31-2004, 03:38 PM

did u check to make sure the timing belt didnt break
Old 01-31-2004, 08:50 PM
Banned

Default Re: Help, Car is not getting spark, Have tried everything I know (BigLoadChoakHard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigLoadChoakHard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did u check to make sure the timing belt didnt break</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea its fine. The car cranks it just doesnt have spark.

Modified by blykins at 1:24 PM 2/1/2004
Old 01-31-2004, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Help, Car is not getting spark, Have tried everything I know (blykins)

I had the same problem after working on my motor. Found after some tugging my hair out and some time here on H-T that it was a loose ground. They can be a pain, check all of them. Good luck man, I feel your pain. Bump!
Old 02-01-2004, 09:25 AM
Banned

Default Re: Help, Car is not getting spark, Have tried everything I know (BMac86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BMac86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same problem after working on my motor. Found after some tugging my hair out and some time here on H-T that it was a loose ground. They can be a pain, check all of them. Good luck man, I feel your pain. Bump!</TD></TR></TABLE>

What other grounds are there that would cause it to not spark? Only ones I can think of are valve cover ground and tranny ground.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:16 AM

And the grounds on the thermostat housing, but they're all ok. It's going to Honda on Monday, noone can figure out what's wrong, maybe they can.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nifty)

take the cap off and put a long screwdriver to the spring on the coil to any ground and crank to see if you get spark, if you're not getting spark but you're getting power to the coil then the coil is bad. went through the exact thing a while back and the second dizzy we tested with had a bad coil also.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Re: (miahmouse)

Definetly check to make sure you have good + and - power at the distributor with the key on. Last Honda I did with no spark was a coil.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need a multimeter.

Check to make sure that the ignition coil is receiving battery voltage. Also check to make sure than when the engine is being cranked, there is 'activity' on the ICM wire (usually yel/grn).
Old 02-02-2004, 11:05 AM

i haven't got my car to work either... i'm not getting any spark... its goin to the mechanic... i've been stressin too much about it so i'm gonna let them handle the fustration
Old 02-02-2004, 11:09 AM
Banned

Default Re: Help, Car is not getting spark, Have tried everything I know (JayDMsleeper)

Got it towed to Honda this morning. They said its a bad ignitor AND bad distributor, even though we tried 2 different ones which i guess were bad also?
The total is $572 for a new ignitor/distributer andlabor!!! Dealerships can take it anally.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help, Car is not getting spark, Have tried everything I know (blykins)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blykins &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dealerships can take it anally.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought they gave it that way
Old 02-03-2004, 04:42 AM

Well, it runs now, thanks to a day at the dealership and over 600 dollars including tow. I should have tested the new dizzy to make sure it was good, but it's too late now. Thanks for your help everyone, I'll know what to do next time.

Quick Reply: Help, Car is not getting spark, Have tried everything I know