Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help on buying EG hatch!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on buying EG hatch!!!!

Hi, (yes this is my first post ) Im new to Hondas and I want to buy a Eg hatch, some guy is selling me one for 3K, I dont know what year it is but is an si with a D16Z6 and 110k miles. exterior and Interior look good but I dont know if mechanically its still holding up (since it has 110k miles). How many miles do civics usually last? and the engine? He said he did something to the piston rings recently and that he uses mineral 20-50wt oil. Is it a good buy (I dont live in USA and HB are pretty hard to come by) having so many miles? Will it give me a lot of trouble?

What maintnance should i do to it once I buy it? I wont have much cash after the buy but a good tuneup I can manage.

Thanks a lot and plz welcome me to HT without telling me to use the search j/k

Should I do a comp check to see if any cylinder is low? Whats the normal pressure for a Z6?

Is a D16A8 (DOHC NON VTEC) a good swap?

Modified by jetpilot at 4:44 PM 6/27/2003
Old 06-26-2003, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help on buying EG hatch!!!! (jetpilot)

what did he do to the piston rings?? the only thing you can do to them is replace them, tempering with the piston rings and putting old piston rings back in is just asking for truble. Sounds like something is wrong with the car, maybe it burns oil and that's why he is using such a heavy weight oil. I would be care full if I was you and don't buy it if you are not sure, unless you are planning to do a swap anyway then it sounds ok.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Help on buying EG hatch!!!! (leadfoot78)

i wont do a swap maybe turbo. Yes he changed the ring recently thats what he did (Why did he do this? is it a known problem with hondas?). He uses that heavy oil because thats what everybody uses in my country (Does it make the engine wear out faster? I use it on my current car)

My question was if the civic chassis and mechanical components are good and reliable up to how many miles? Thanks
Old 06-26-2003, 07:32 PM

TTT
Old 06-26-2003, 08:04 PM

B to the U to the M to the P
Old 06-27-2003, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20-50 is a pretty heavy weight, 3g's for an si isnt too bad, i would say however though, if u want this car, maybe anticipate to swap a new engine, just buy the car for the shell! maybe u can get him to lower the price a bit.

check EVERYTHING before u buy the car tho, any dents, accidents, check alignment, any squeeks or clicking, rust, anything and everything!

good luck
Old 06-27-2003, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that price is cool in CALI!
Old 06-27-2003, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ask the seller if he's replaced the timing belt and water pump. It should have been done at 90K. My hatch is doing good on the original engine. I use dino oil in mine. So far, I've been through two timing belt changes, two clutch rebuilds, one radiator, a speedo sensor, a right front axle (snapped) and at 200K the brakes. They are great little cars! Just a little rust in the rear wheel wells this year, but we salt our roads in the winter here in New England.

The VIN# will tell you the year of the car. Also the sticker along the driver's door jam.

Oh and welcome dude!!
Old 06-27-2003, 04:41 AM
New User

With proper maintenance the Civic Si will last to 200K miles. Mine had 160 when I finally swapped it and it was still going strong. I would find out what the guy 'did to the rings" though and 20-w50 is a heavier grade than Honda recommends for that engine. Often people will put a heavier grade oil in to hide more fundemental problems.

On the other hand, If the body and interior are in good condition you can always swap a twin-cam in there and use the old D16 as a boat anchor or flower pot

I don't know if Civics in South America suffer from the same rust problems us gringos have but an area to look at is the rear fender arches and the bottom rear edges of the doors.

Good Luck!

Mike
Old 06-27-2003, 07:29 PM

Should I do a comp check to see if any cylinder is low? Whats the normal pressure for a Z6?

Is a D16A8 (DOHC NON VTEC) a good swap?

What maintnance or tuneup should I do when I buy it, to prep it up for power (I first want it doing the best it can in a stock form), What cheap suspension is good and streetable? What brake pads and where can I get them? What else should i do if we say it has 110k mileas and the previous owner dindt mantain it to its best. Im thinking cap, rotor, coil, plugs, oil, coolant (maybe a delsol radiator), fuel filter, timing belt, water pump some fuel system cleaner and removing the cat (there are no laws about that here). Oh and another thing, should I use 95 octane unleaded or 9 octane leaded fuel?
Old 06-27-2003, 08:34 PM

Location: Clueless like Shaggy n Scooby before commercial, break

you need to start using the search function. All your questions are basic, easily searched topics that will save you and us a boatload of time and energy. I'm not being a dick, but the search function should be your main resource on this site and it will save you alot of headaches/embarrassment from clowns like me who will tell you to use the search function
Old 06-27-2003, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Help on buying EG hatch!!!! (SeaBass)

I tried searching D16A8 on this and the CRX forum and nothing came up, The tuning part Ill have to search maybe (not the comparo on both cause if it isnt a zc then i cant compare a Z6 with something I cant find info on) but i just want to know for sure what engine is it

thanks anyways