Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help asap please stripped locking nut at the top of skunk2 shock...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help asap please stripped locking nut at the top of skunk2 shock...

so like the title says....i have a stripped locking nut at the top of my RR skunk2 shock...
it went down a bit then i noticed it wasnt turning anymore i understand how it happened i started the nut with my fingers straight...is there anything i can do?..this weekend suspension project is beging a pain in the ***...i got all 3 new skunk2 shocks on and eibach prokits...but the rear right...this happens and along with the evil breaking of the lca arm bolt....ahhhh crap i need a beer...

thanks kindly,
troubled canadian
Old 06-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: help asap please stripped locking nut at the top of skunk2 shock... (Kyo Babic)

An air gun will get the nut off, but you'll probably ruin the threads. If you're carefuly, you may be able to use a die and get everything back in working order.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: help asap please stripped locking nut at the top of skunk2 shock... (t0p_sh0tta)

that sounds easy enough, working in a machine shop and all....now how about the dreaded LCA bolt....i hear the best method is to just melt out the old one and press in new one?...is that right?...can i do it with the LCA still on the car cuzi dont feel like breaking the other bolts
Old 06-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: help asap please stripped locking nut at the top of skunk2 shock... (Kyo Babic)

Is the nut damaged or the threads? If the threads are bad the air gun might take it out but i would get a wrench and use the allen key to hold it in place first, because the air gun could destory the threads more. If its the nut and you cant get ahold of it, try a socket bolt extractor, or cut the nut.

Whats wrong with the LCA?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: help asap please stripped locking nut at the top of skunk2 shock... (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is the nut damaged or the threads? If the threads are bad the air gun might take it out but i would get a wrench and use the allen key to hold it in place first, because the air gun could destory the threads more. If its the nut and you cant get ahold of it, try a socket bolt extractor, or cut the nut.

Whats wrong with the LCA?</TD></TR></TABLE>
its the threads...i dont plan on cutting the nut, its a bran new shock....and the LCA bolt broke the one that goes the through the lower bottom of the shock...i got the stock shock off with the ol grinder, thinking now just take a BFH and pound on the bolt, but it doesnt budge, so would the next step just melt the bushing out and replace it?
Old 06-10-2007, 05:46 AM

bump for some LCA help...can it just heated up till it pops out? how easy is it to through in a new bushing with the LCA on the car still? cuz i dont wanna risk take the other bolt out just to have that one snap as well.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That happened to me with a DC. What I did was remove the whole LCA and the shock and put it on a press. I then just replaced the bolt with a new one. Took me an hour to do.