Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP! 99 Honda Civic Si needs revived

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 99 Honda Civic Si needs revived

Hey everybody, I'm new to the site and New to world of Honda. I have a 99 Honda Civic Si that needs and engine pull. I have been working diligently on it, but seem to be stuck. Wondering If there are anyone around the Cedar Rapids Iowa area that would be up for helping pull the motor? Let me know if you have ever pulled one and any problems you have run into, and possibly the solutions you have found. Thanks JD
Old 01-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! 99 Honda Civic Si needs revived

Can't help in person but....

Have you disconnected the shift linkage and exhaust @ cat flange?

Have you removed all 3 bolts from the rear T-mount @ the firewall?

Removed both lower torque mounts in the front?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:47 PM

ive got all done, but im stuck on the dang ball joints to move the lower control arms out of the way. I have pounded on them for 4 hours, and they dont wanna move
Old 01-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a ball joint fork and a big hammer
Old 01-23-2009, 12:51 PM

I've used the fork and an 8lbs mallet and to no avail, not sure if im at a bad angle or what? Ive pounded like theres not tomorrow and im not a small dude. ive done ball joints before and never had this problem
Old 01-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There really is a ton of information available on this site. You need to do 3 things before you start asking people to help you (especially, physically going to your house and physically helping you).

1.) Buy a Helm's Manual!
I know they're expensive, but playing with cars is an expensive hobby. This will be the best $70 you spend on your Honda, and your new best friend. The one linked above is for all of the 96-00 Civics. There is one for 99's specifically, but I'd just get the one including all models because you never know when you're going to be pulling parts off of or fixing a different year Civic than your 99, but the choice is yours. Here is the description from Helm's site about this specific manual:
Originally Posted by HelmINC
An average of 1,500 pages of detailed repair instruction and diagrams written by Honda service professionals make this the best manual available for accurate repair. Each Section includes a Table of Contents, and many have a Component Location Index showing parts disassembly sequence, bolt torques, thread sizes, and page references to descriptions in text. Book includes Maintenance Schedules, Specifications, Troubleshooting, Special Tools, Removal/Installation, Disassembly and Adjustment. Repair instruction on Engine Electrical, Engine, Cooling, Fuel and Emissions, Transaxle, Steering, Suspension, Brakes including ABS, Body, Heating/Air Conditioning/Ventilation, Body Electrical and Restraints. Description:
Instructions And Procedures For Routine Repair Adjustments Maintenance Work Diagnosis/Testing And Removal/Installation Of Parts For Various Vehicle Systems.

2.) Look for obvious help on this and other forums.
How obvious? Well for instance, the FOURTH sticky'd thread in this forum is plainly titled; ENGINE SWAP INFO & FAQs,HOW-TO CK ENGINE LIGHTS But there are tons of other links in this forum (1992-2000) and in other forums like the all motor forum and the integra forums... A literal metric ton of information is available to you on this site. How do you find it?

3.) Search
You'll find it right on the very top left hand corner of every page on honda-tech. If you stick around long enough, you'll find that there is nothing new. If you have a question about something, so did someone else. Chances are, that person asked that question here and got it answered. Searching for the question, will find that thread and you'll be able to read the respondant's answers and what the original poster did to resolve the issue (most of the time.)

Other than that, welcome to Honda-Tech.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 99civicsi-iowa
I've used the fork and an 8lbs mallet and to no avail, not sure if im at a bad angle or what? Ive pounded like theres not tomorrow and im not a small dude. ive done ball joints before and never had this problem
beoy's right, but we all get stuck sometimes, so....

Hit the ball joint with a little penetrating spray lube and give it some time. When you try again with the pickle fork, crank the wheel all the way to the left (for the LF), insert the fork FROM the front and strike towards the back of the car.

Take the hub assembly off while the motor is out and have the lower ball joints replaced. All this beating with the fork has destroyed the rubber boot on the joint and damaged the ring that seats it.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i swung really hard after 3 hits and one mangled hand it was out, put some *** behind it and some lube.