Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help, 1992 Civic Si white smoke from exhaust when reved and smells like gas.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, 1992 Civic Si white smoke from exhaust when reved and smells like gas.

Had a tune up done 2 months ago, new timing belt, water pump, sparkplugs and wires, etc. Everything is stock and it has original D16Z6 motor with 218,000 miles. Now it suddenly started giving out white smoke when reved even when fully warmed and water shooting out from its exhaust and has a strong smell of burnt gas, been having this problem for a month now. I pulled out the spark plugs and saw that 3 of them are wet with gasoline. And it shows no loss in coolant or oil and also coolant and oil are not contaminated and are clean, no milky looking oil. Also what confuses me the most is that it is still running strong and has no power loss or check engine light. I also swapped the MAP sensor today with my working D16 EK, less than 100k miles because I read somewhere online that it could be the cause and nothing changed. Also changed the PVC valve today and still no change. I had 2 mechanics look at it and they said it can possibly be a fuel injector O-Ring. What do you guys think? I don't think its anything major since it still runs strong but I live in Cali and do not want to get pulled over. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help, 1992 Civic Si white smoke from exhaust when reved and smells like gas.

bump
Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help, 1992 Civic Si white smoke from exhaust when reved and smells like gas.

try a compression check. harbor freight $30 and a spark plug set. $ 40 total and you have a straight up answer. head gaskets can leak from cylinder to cylinder without mixing oil or water. should get you off to a good start rather then costly fuel system repairs. if 2 cylinders are close to the same reading next to one another and lower then the other two.. should give you a good idea whats going on. do both dry then wet. write down the numbers.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

218k. Rings could be getting tired. Wet plugs could indicate a compression/combustion problem. When you did the timing belt you didn't turn the crank with the belt off? You may have tweaked some valves slightly?
I'd do a compression test regardless.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It could be a Fuel injector, also i'm not exactly sure where the hose is on a d-series motor but my mom was having the same problem on her Intrepid AND my cousins B series ek. It was a hose that ran on top of the intake manifold and it was leaking gas out and it would cause why smoke to come out the exhaust when reved. When we got it double-checked by 3 of our personal mechanics they all also said fuel injectors and this hose. Tomorrow i will take a picture of the hose to show you if you don't get it fixed.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^

hmm, wondering what hose it could be..

guessing its the FPR hose and FPR took a crap and sending fuel to the IM
Old 01-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had another mechanic look at it, said it has nothing to the head gasket, and timing belt is new and tuned correctly. So could it be the Fuel Injector O-Rings? What are signs of worn out O-Rings? Because the white smoke only occurs when reved but the gasoline smell and water occur when started and also when reved. I need some idea before I get this fixed because my car is not showing any codes so the mechanics I talked to do not guarantee anything.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
^^

hmm, wondering what hose it could be..

guessing its the FPR hose and FPR took a crap and sending fuel to the IM
Serious or sarcastic? You kinda give off both vibes. Didn't have time today to take a pic or a quick video of the hose and where it't at. Mom worked 12 hour's today and i was busy all day preparing my garage for a build
Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm in for a answer .
i have a 91 civic and it's doing the same thing. Gas smell with water or something coming from tail pipe. Smoking on startup. No codes what so ever. New rotor cap button wires and plugs. No over heating or loss of fluid it apppears. Looked over several post but nobody has put up there fix yet!

Oh I did find out the Car is considered running rich. possible fixes.. O2 sensor or 2 prong temperature sensor under distributor which tells the computer what temperature the car is actually running at so it know how to curve the fuel.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I dont think injector orings will cause any type of issues besides a vac leak.

Personally, If theres water expelled out the exhaust then its one of 2 things.

1. Condensation in exhaust
2. small headgasket leak into a cylinder

do a leakdown and compression test and if they check out, then its probably condensation being burned off.

As far as the gas on injectors... Probably running rich
were the new plugs looking black when soaked with gas?
Could be poor flowing injectors.

Taking off the rail is pretty simple. Then you can inspect the orings.
With that many miles, maybe the injectors are shooting a stream instead of a mist.

you can replace with OEM injectors or have them sent off to be serviced.

Edit: you can try an injection cleaner like chevrons or even use some seafoam (1/3rd can in tank) and see if that cleans up the soaked plugs.
Do the cheapest route first. Personally I run injection cleaner at every oil change.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I ran chevron fuel injector cleaner and it is still smoking when revved and doing all of what I stated. What can it be?