Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help with 00 civic si hp

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:55 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 00 civic si hp

Hi, i'm new to honda-tech.com. I brought red 2000 honda civic si in 3 months ago. I dont really know a lot about cars. I just looking for the parts that can increase horsepower and cheaper. I will be appreciate to anyone who help to find the right parts for me. Thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with 00 civic si hp

most people start with intake header exhaust or I/H/E.

from there you can do cams, port and polish head, cam gears, pulleys and a good tune.

most people dotn touch the block right away.

thats if you wnat to go all motor route which is teh "budget" plan so to say because you start at low prices.... intake 100+, header 300+, exhaust 300+, cams 500+ port and polish 400+ cam gears 200+ (prices are guesstimate and could be higher or lower depending on brand,style,buying used,buying new etc..)

that just gives you an idea of what you will be spending...it starts out easy and relitivly cheap. anybody can swing 200-400 every couple of months or whatever so it feels like the right way to go... but i wouldnt go this route for big HP gains.

turbo is where it is at and the hardest part is saving the 1500-3000 for a kit or completing a kit yourself but in the long run it will be cheaper for a bigger HP gain this way. and if you put a I/H/E from above then basically you will be wasting your money since you cant resuse those parts with the turbo.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:53 PM

go turbo
Old 07-20-2009, 10:10 PM
New User

Oh i almost forget to tell that i brought it with dc sport headers, exhaust, intake, and lower springs. Should i look for cams, port n polsih, cam gears nexts?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go turbo, hold out on buying an intake and header, so you wont have to replace them later when you buy your turbo stuff

start with cams, exhaust, upgrade intake manifold, etc

build your car around turbo, thats the only thing that make these civics noticeable
Old 07-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first how many miles are on the car and what kind of person did you buy it from .. cuase the last thing you wanna do is turbo a abused b16
Old 07-20-2009, 10:35 PM
New User

It has 92k miles now and i brought it from asian guy. I think he is the one who messed up my engine. Mine is pretty slow like **** now.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cams and intake manifold.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Quackysi
It has 92k miles now and i brought it from asian guy. I think he is the one who messed up my engine. Mine is pretty slow like **** now.
b16 are pretty slow in the em1.
feels like a single cam engine.
why did you buy it? thinking there was something wrong. start with a compression test.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah the em1 stock is far from fast... still fun to drive.. thats why im going with a gsr swap this winter .. but if i were you i would fix your motor before i worry about hp.. no point to buy parts if the motor cant handle it
Old 07-21-2009, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ruben19
b16 are pretty slow in the em1.
feels like a single cam engine.
why did you buy it? thinking there was something wrong. start with a compression test.
A civic Si is plenty fast stock when compared to other cars of its era in its price range... To say that it performs like a single cam might be a valid argument but it certainly doesn't "feel" like a single cam...
Old 07-21-2009, 06:52 AM
New User

Oh...the asian guy is my dad's friend so i trusted him easier than other sellers. This car was only one em1 sale i found in my state then i brought it with 87k for 4.5k which is little cheap. After one month i brought, i was thinking to fix my motor but i dont know what specific things to do. I have been told that i should rebuild my motor so should i do this for first step?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh...the asian guy is my dad's friend so i trusted him easier than other sellers. This car was only one em1 sale i found in my state then i brought it with 87k for 4.5k which is little cheap. After one month i brought, i was thinking to fix my motor but i dont know what specific things to do. I have been told that i should rebuild my motor so should i do this for first step?
First thing you should do is a leak down test. It can really show you how good of shape the motor is in. If the leak down is good then. You should be good to go. I always replace the timing belt before I put a lot of mods into a motor.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:55 AM
New User

How would u do a compression check on the engine? If u run a turbo people it will be more likely to blow engine or cause mechanical problems its just a fact. I know people running turbos and there car always breaks down. Low psi is better but still is it worth putting a 2500 dollar kit on then how ever much to put it on tune it and ect. then if it breaks down u got all that money going into it again. I understand the power and the good turbos r better but still people spend 6 on just the turbo....
Old 07-21-2009, 07:58 AM
New User

Also with this u dont need all the horsepower u need more torque than anything. Im not an expert on foreign cars but they usally dont got alot of torque like the v8 does. So therefor incress the torque and it will get better drag times and times all together right?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How would u do a compression check on the engine? If u run a turbo people it will be more likely to blow engine or cause mechanical problems its just a fact. I know people running turbos and there car always breaks down. Low psi is better but still is it worth putting a 2500 dollar kit on then how ever much to put it on tune it and ect. then if it breaks down u got all that money going into it again. I understand the power and the good turbos r better but still people spend 6 on just the turbo....

With most power adders, if you know what your doing and take care of it you won't run into any problems. I have seen turbos run for the life of the car, or a week. If you set it just right, theres no reason why you can't run a turbo and drive it everyday.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you turbo your **** right ( more $$) it will be fine.. but people dont wanna spend the money and fk there **** up .... look at other peoples turbo si build threads and get some advice .. or even go on the em1 crew thread and ask some people on there ...
Old 07-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to have a power goal... Once you figure out what that magic number is for you we can better point you in the right direction...

It will help to avoid this whole turbo vs. NA vs. reliability vs. bang for buck argument that typically leads nowhere...
Old 07-24-2009, 11:33 AM

i would just wait with turbo. i would just do like bore over, cam, etc. let have turbo to be last. and torque is more important. hp is for towing things
Old 07-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nfsintegra
i would just wait with turbo. i would just do like bore over, cam, etc. let have turbo to be last. and torque is more important. hp is for towing things
You wouldn't do cams then a turbo unless you got cams specifically designed for turbo applications and those wouldn't work well on a N/A application

Torque is for towing actually...

Its best to have a goal and then come up with a plan to reach that goal rather than piecemeal parts as you go...

Do you even know what you are talking about?
Old 07-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also have a em1... My personal opinion is cams! I have crower stg 1's I/H/E and im pretty happy! But then again im still planning on going turbo! lol
Old 07-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have basic bolt-ons and cams as well but that was my build plan from the start...

Why waste money on something that will be made obsolete by another part? If you go turbo you will have to remove your cams if they increase overlap more than a little bit and you will have to ditch the header for a turbo manifold...
Old 07-24-2009, 05:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i have pretty much the same thing as u man.and i am dissapointed with the si.i hate that the car has no torque.and yes like every1 else is saying u need a HORSEPOWER GOAL.180-190-200-240-300-400 jus to give u some numbers/examples.realistically u can only get bout 230-250 HP ALL MOTOR,N/A.simple bolt-ons wat i call HEADERS,INTAKE,EXHAUST GIVES U a big difference between having a stock b16 in a si,u feel me??but ya man i say u stick with the bolt ons and simple tunning.and by bolt ons we DONT MEAN,or at least i dont mean,GREDDY EBAY BOLT ON TURBO lol.do not buy a bolt on turbo.i mean continue with bolt ons and get INTAKE MANIFOLD,matching THROTTLE BODY,CAMS,CAM GEARS(springs,retainers,stems), and then a nice good tune.and that u will def. see a difference in your car.sorry backtrack, also with the motor this isnt a "bolt on" but do a nice port and polish for more air flow and gas along with the bigger intake mani and T.B.
member to throw on everything before u get it tuned.so ya thats what i would say for ur em1 man.all that will be more than $1K, depending on what kind of intake mani,cams,etc.alot of different companies out there best way to find out is just ask questions,start threads,and use keywords to see if any1 else had the same question cause most likely someone has already asked the same question.
and the reason why people say it feels like a single cam is because the torque in the low rpms is terrible
i just looked at the specs on a d16 and b16 and the torque was pretty much the same thing.so thats why people hate,and really feel like SI's are a dissapointment

hopefully what i said will help you and if any1 see's any wrong info i gave please correct me cause it wont only help him but help me in the future
good luck man
Old 07-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jo$e L@go
i have pretty much the same thing as u man.and i am dissapointed with the si.i hate that the car has no torque.and yes like every1 else is saying u need a HORSEPOWER GOAL.180-190-200-240-300-400 jus to give u some numbers/examples.realistically u can only get bout 230-250 HP ALL MOTOR,N/A.simple bolt-ons wat i call HEADERS,INTAKE,EXHAUST GIVES U a big difference between having a stock b16 in a si,u feel me??but ya man i say u stick with the bolt ons and simple tunning.and by bolt ons we DONT MEAN,or at least i dont mean,GREDDY EBAY BOLT ON TURBO lol.do not buy a bolt on turbo.i mean continue with bolt ons and get INTAKE MANIFOLD,matching THROTTLE BODY,CAMS,CAM GEARS(springs,retainers,stems), and then a nice good tune.and that u will def. see a difference in your car.sorry backtrack, also with the motor this isnt a "bolt on" but do a nice port and polish for more air flow and gas along with the bigger intake mani and T.B.
member to throw on everything before u get it tuned.so ya thats what i would say for ur em1 man.all that will be more than $1K, depending on what kind of intake mani,cams,etc.alot of different companies out there best way to find out is just ask questions,start threads,and use keywords to see if any1 else had the same question cause most likely someone has already asked the same question.
and the reason why people say it feels like a single cam is because the torque in the low rpms is terrible
i just looked at the specs on a d16 and b16 and the torque was pretty much the same thing.so thats why people hate,and really feel like SI's are a dissapointment

hopefully what i said will help you and if any1 see's any wrong info i gave please correct me cause it wont only help him but help me in the future
good luck man
Could you direct me to a N/A B16 in am EM1 that comes even close to 230 whp?
Old 07-24-2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by tercel95
You wouldn't do cams then a turbo unless you got cams specifically designed for turbo applications and those wouldn't work well on a N/A application

Torque is for towing actually...

Its best to have a goal and then come up with a plan to reach that goal rather than piecemeal parts as you go...

Do you even know what you are talking about?
oh thats new info about cams and turbo thing... and srry about my info about towing you are right its torque not hp. hp is for top speed right?

Quick Reply: Help with 00 civic si hp