Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hello everybody.. new guy here needs help for mods on his first Honda

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello everybody.. new guy here needs help for mods on his first Honda

I am actually an American guy (I originate from camaroz28.com).. but I am trading my tricked out s10 to somebody for his honda just for something new. It's a step I never though I would take but I am. So heres the low down. It's a '98 LX, 5spd, the guy says it has some aftermarket intake manifold, it has a cai, some aftermarket exhaust, new performance plugs/wires, and a short-throw 5spd. What are some other good mods to wake it up? What is this I hear of Hondata and Skunk2??
Thank you everybody,
Matt

85_305
Old 12-21-2006, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Hello everybody.. new guy here needs help for mods on his first Honda (85_305)

your not going to feel much of a difference with any mod with the motor that is in there.... turbo or swap only thing that will give a noticeable amount of power
Old 12-21-2006, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Hello everybody.. new guy here needs help for mods on his first Honda (aznej2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aznej2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your not going to feel much of a difference with any mod with the motor that is in there.... turbo or swap only thing that will give a noticeable amount of power</TD></TR></TABLE> NOZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ALSO
Old 12-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hello everybody.. new guy here needs help for mods on his first Honda (DC_RaceR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aznej2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your not going to feel much of a difference with any mod with the motor that is in there.... turbo or swap only thing that will give a noticeable amount of power</TD></TR></TABLE>

What he said.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DC_RaceR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> NOZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ALSO</TD></TR></TABLE>

Two big ones. Buy tonight.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hello everybody.. new guy here needs help for mods on his first Honda (cambopheonix56)

Oh ya and it has a header and FPR.. but theres no other cheapo mods that can be done that will yield some better performance? You guys really dont think I will gain any thing from those mods? Which MSD box works with these (part numbers please.. ignition and the coil )
Old 12-21-2006, 04:29 PM

leave ignition all OEM, rip out any crappy ebay crap, like header and CAI unless its actually a DC or AEM. Do some weight reduction.

1st thing, look around on here for a y8 head, slap that on there. Honestly when i 1st got my car, i was all about looks and speed, but really, I started getting into suspension, WAY BETTER to start with doing things right.

Suspension
Looks
Brakes
Engine
women

And if you even DARE to put any APC crap on that honda "as seen on many S10's" you will be sorrry.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:32 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Hello everybody.. new guy here needs help for mods on his first Honda (85_305)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 85_305 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh ya and it has a header and FPR.. but theres no other cheapo mods that can be done that will yield some better performance? You guys really dont think I will gain any thing from those mods? Which MSD box works with these (part numbers please.. ignition and the coil )</TD></TR></TABLE>

you will quickly learn that honda engines will not react to mods the same way as a domestic v8. a chip will not give you 20hp. an exhaust will not give you 10hp. etc. etc.

you are starting out with a sohc 1.5L (or is it 1.6L?) non vtec. either swap it for a b/h/k series or boost it and hope it lasts if you want power.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:33 PM

As being said was true, honda engines need boost, to really pick up power, unless you have a k20 or something. However if your just daily driving it, go more for efficiency over raw power...how often are you gonna be hitting Vtec, more than likely you will be doing around the speed limit and commuting, The engine has enough power for most peoples needs (vtec). And you do not have a vtec engine, so swap to the y8 tranny and head, and call it a day. Suspension will give you more satisfaction. Go ahead and drop 1k into the engine to only give you 9hp, or drop 1k into the suspension/body to be VERY satisfied.

If you do say make big power, you will need upgraded suspension anyways. So why make big power 1st, and be broke for 3 years because you wanted an extra 2+hp. The car then starts to feel like crap, because bushings/mounts are worn out, you then HATE your car and crash it.

Or you upgrade suspension 1st, your car drives/handles like a dream, and its all ready for that nice engine swap/turbo.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cheapest upgrade would be an ex transmission, the better gearing will make you think you got an extra 30hp. best bang for the buck since they go for around $200.

other than that just search around a little, the motor you are starting with is the D16y7, non vtec, pretty much a solid daily driver, but thats about it, not gonna really surprise you with its pep.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

boost it or swpa final drives
Old 12-21-2006, 05:16 PM

I've stopped believing in boltons long time ago, so all I have to say is boost it.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

YoungKadafi- Why leave ignition stock?? All the parts are either Hedman or NOPI maybe? I don't remember the other brand. How much could I get a Y8 head for? Do they give a large performance increase?? And don't worry.. I'm not about to put any gay stickers on it
doood- haha that's gay :D Likey you said, retuning the eprom can easily give you 20-30whp.
youngkadafi- the guy is telling me it's a vtec?? Where could I find a y8 head on ebay?
schardbody- where can I find a 200$ y8 tranny?
geegee-LOL hell if i was gonna boost something and felt like putting 5+ g's into a car my s10 would be turboed up :D

EDIT: Oh ****.. I'm seeing some y8 heads go for CHEAP!! Will a v-tech run with my suppsed non-vtec car?
Old 12-21-2006, 05:35 PM

Default Re: (85_305)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 85_305 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">YoungKadafi- Why leave ignition stock?? All the parts are either Hedman or NOPI maybe? I don't remember the other brand. How much could I get a Y8 head for? Do they give a large performance increase?? And don't worry.. I'm not about to put any gay stickers on it
doood- haha that's gay :D Likey you said, retuning the eprom can easily give you 20-30whp.
youngkadafi- the guy is telling me it's a vtec?? Where could I find a y8 head on ebay?
schardbody- where can I find a 200$ y8 tranny?
geegee-LOL hell if i was gonna boost something and felt like putting 5+ g's into a car my s10 would be turboed up :D?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You dont need to spend $5k to turbo your car, you can do it for under $1k
Old 12-21-2006, 05:36 PM

wait let me grab this!!!!!its VTEC not V-Tech, and yes, remove all garbage, think about walking into a dealership, not checker auto. Most stuff now is about quality, walk into checker you have frank smoking a malbro asking what size carberator. Hedman, APC OBX screw all of that. Get your OEM stuff back such as ignition, put a 99-00 ex exhaust manifold on there for durabillity, untill you boost or swap. Get an OEM airbox from a junk yard. The ammount of power you loose is almost none, and the quality goes up lots
Old 12-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any 92-00 sohc ex/si tranny will bolt right up with no mods, search the marketplace here, they are often sold.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (schardbody)

Always suspension first... buy performance shocks like koni or kyb... they are the most important mods. And no bolt-ons make any real hp unless you have name brand stuff... after suspension, work on a full exhaust, including headers, then work on intake, but first of all get a y8 head (mini me swap)
Old 12-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hello everybody.. new guy here needs help for mods on his first Honda (doood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you will quickly learn that honda engines will not react to mods the same way as a domestic v8. a chip will not give you 20hp. an exhaust will not give you 10hp. etc. etc.

you are starting out with a sohc 1.5L (or is it 1.6L?) non vtec. either swap it for a b/h/k series or boost it and hope it lasts if you want power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have to agree, coming from being a big block chevy V8 guy myself I had to learn all about this "the motors don't gain **** from bolt-ons" basis .

Basically there's nothing left w/o going internal.

Though even internal, say cams are your best bet, either that or swapping the pistons for a higher compression ratio.

If you don't like that idea (which you shouldn't, because you don't get much power and pay out the ***) your best bet is forced induction (turbo). If you want quick power for a race obviously it's nitrous oxide, but hardly the same, unlike V8's you can just stud it down and run nitrous through it like a ***** - needs to be fine tuned a lot more on these 4 bangers.

Turbo is your best bet, run 5lb untuned, or run 180whp @ circum 11lb on stock internals. Anymore and you're going to need forged internals.

That's the rundown on the trade-off for MPG.

If you have any direct Q's feel free to PM me, I'm always open for chat. Also am always glad to help. I know a lot about the "switch" from V8's to 4 bangers so I can probably help you with most of your Q's, hit me up some time, peace.

EDIT:
BTW:
'85 Z28
305 with 300hp and 350lbs
5spd
T-Tops
Power Everything
Soon to have a 6spd
- Nice deal

I was running a '67 Z28 4sp manual hard top w/ a 509ci BBC, power nothing, and a **** *** radio, 530rwph @ 527ft/lb
Old 12-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for my h-t ignorance in regards to quoting and multi-quoting, but it's not as out in the open as other boards here.. although I'm sure I'll figure it out! haha.
but boosted96coupe- how in the F*CK could I boost this honda for UNDER a grand???
youngkadafi- I can't speak for Hondas since I know almost nothign about them, but how exactly am I compromising quality by putting aftermarket bolt on onto it?
schardbody- Thanks, I will look into that!
midori green- not really worried about suspension on this. I've owned probably 3 cars that would hand this thing it c*ck four times over in teh suspension department. I just need helping getting my first honda on it's feet
Syndacate- you can help me boost it if ya want! haha
Old 12-22-2006, 02:26 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 85_305 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but boosted96coupe- how in the F*CK could I boost this honda for UNDER a grand???
</TD></TR></TABLE>

piece together your own kit with junkyard parts http://www.homemadeturbo.com
Old 12-22-2006, 03:14 PM

Default Re: (doood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 85_305 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> how in the F*CK could I boost this honda for UNDER a grand???
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Piece together a kit. I did one for my d16y7 making 10 psi and i run 13.2's all day long i have about $600 into everything. Its not that hard, just do your homework!
Old 12-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks I will look into that. Only problem is I know nothing about setting turbo's up and flashing eproms
boosted96coupe- haha.. since your in PA, and I'm in NY, you should help me if I get the parts lol

Modified by 85_305 at 5:10 PM 12/22/2006
Old 12-22-2006, 03:24 PM

My friend is selling a kit on ebay right now, it ends in like 4 hours. auction number 260066555225. its everything except the oil pan and tuning.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Buy a car, and it absolutely REQUIRES modification just for the sake of modificaton? Most people get a crazy idea in mind before they go out and blow their cash on their cars...
Old 12-22-2006, 03:49 PM

performance wise just depends on what your going for. But i would go all motor or use it as a dd
Old 12-22-2006, 03:55 PM

I want a G35 coupe with APC altezzas, and lots of pepboys, maybe a ford sticker

Quick Reply: Hello everybody.. new guy here needs help for mods on his first Honda