Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hello all!!! New Honda Civic owner, 97 DX (I think) 2 door

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello all!!! New Honda Civic owner, 97 DX (I think) 2 door

Hello all, I am the new owner of a Honda Civic DX (I think). The badages have all been shaved and I am buyng it off a buddy of mine. My last car project was installing a Formula Atlantic engine in an 86 Toyota MR2. I really know nothing about the Hondas but I look forward to the challange.

The car is really clean besided the holes in the trunk lid due to a spoiler being installed and now removed. Also the engine lid has a few marks on it but I figured I would snag carbon fiber ones and have them painted. I am not looking to ulter the apperance too much on the outside as I am more of a sleeper kind of guy.

The only thing that I want to do to the outside is throw on some light weight wheels and agressive tires. The car will be lowered a bit due to suspension upgrades and that is all!

THE FUN STUFF

I have read through the "Engine Swap" thread and I think I am more confused now. What I would like to find is some type of V6 that would fit into this sucker. Maybe an I4 that would produce 260-300 without boost and not having a 2200 RPM idle (FA engine in the MR2).

Anyhow, please let me know what is available for this car, engine and tranny. I will be using an aftermarket ECU system, something like a Wolf 3D system or maybe something more advanced.

This will be a daily driver and I have never messed with boost before but it is not out of the question. If I were to go that route I would like to have something around 350HP for the trouble.

Also, if this is the wrong forum please let me know. Thanks in Advance

Chris Ram
Avault.com

PS- I live in Indiana and we do not have testing.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the purchase.

I think you will be hard-pressed to find a Honda I4 that will make those hp numbers for cheap. Plus I have not read or heard of anyone putting a V6 into a Civic but you could always be the first.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bad93ex)

welcome and good luck with whatever build u do !
Old 05-21-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Hello all!!! New Honda Civic owner, 97 DX (I think) 2 door (ChrisRam)

I also forgot to ask this. The speed needle sometimes just flops, err...how to explain this. Sometimes it comes right back and sometimes it takes it a few minutes. Is this a common problem and if so what is it. I really need to get a haynes book tomorrow and see what all I am working with. On my old Mustangs we had gears and cables but I was told by a guy at CarQuest that this was all electric.

Last question.

How can I get a tach in the dash. The car that I have is a manual but has no tach and it is driving me crazy. I was looking at other Civics on Ebay from 97 and saw one with a tach. I want it!
Old 05-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hello all!!! New Honda Civic owner, 97 DX (ChrisRam)

Find a 96-00 EX tach and its plug and play. A B series swap is always a good choice. An H series swap is another choice. Good Luck
Old 05-21-2005, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Hello all!!! New Honda Civic owner, 97 DX (I think) 2 door (ChrisRam)

OK, so I guess what is the difference between the A, B and H engines. I think my engine now is a 1600cc engine. I guess what is my engine now besides slow and a SOHC.

Ideally what I would like to do is get an engine and strip it. My Formula Atlantic engine came to me in parts and I built it, well with the help of an actual IRL engineer but that is a long story. Anyhow, if I had the head I could have a shop do all of the port work and buy new valves and such. For the bottom end I could go something with a higher compression but that would take out using a turbo (if these are like the 4AGEs).

Are there any examples you guys can point me too? Also, thanks for the Tach info. That will be the first thing I do...off to Ebay.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hello all!!! New Honda Civic owner, 97 DX (ChrisRam)

A 99-00 SI is also plug and play and gives the 9000 rpm tach where the EX goes to 7800 or something like that. Get the whole cluster!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2005, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hello all!!! New Honda Civic owner, 97 DX (97civicdx)

Nice dude, good luck on your honda. I think you'll have alot of fun
Old 05-22-2005, 09:17 AM
most hood white kid

if your looking for a complete swap....go to http://www.passswordjdm.com http://www.jhpusa.com http://www.hmotorsonline.com all those sites have reputable names and alot of ppl on here can vouch for them. when u order a completeswap, you dont usually have to worry about misc. parts except sometimes sensors do get broken, but you call them up, and they send you a new sensor. as for the tach thing. I have a 94 dx and bought me a 95 ex cluster and it justs plugs in, and everything works. so go here on h-t in the classifieds ands perform a search to seei if a 96-00 Ex cluster is being sold. but right now you are a trial user and u can only post in here, so just wait your two wekks, and then go post. I bought mine for 100 bucks shipped off of here. but good luck, adn Welcom to Honda-Tech