Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Headlight reminder chime from Integra DC into Civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight reminder chime from Integra DC into Civic

On my 1998 Civic the headlight reminder chime is just a standard beep but on the Integra DC2 its a different chime which sounds better
Does anyone know if it is possible to use the same buzzer/chime from the DC2 on the Civic?
Or at least know from where the actual chime comes from to see which part it is and if its interchangeable?
Old 10-22-2018, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Headlight reminder chime from Integra DC into Civic

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...folks-2749779/
Old 10-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a lot NukeNinja, that was helpfull, I didnt found that so clearly i didnt search properly.
All i need to get now is the Part Number of the Acura Integra "Door-Open" chime. to get one, or find one on ebay.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What is interesting is that my Civic does have a chime already working, but on the diagrams parts there is no chime assembly, however, in the Integra DC2 diagrams there is a chime assembly listed p/n: 39760-SM4-901
So I wonder if mine has a chime at all or where the noise come from, maybe its not as easy a changing the chime but need to change the whole ICU for that (which is not going to happen)
Old 10-22-2018, 01:15 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

98 civic different chassis, different wiring, from dc2 integra...
Old 10-22-2018, 02:01 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Your chime might be integrated into the ICU unit like the CRV of that era is.

If it is, then you would have to compare schematics of the integra icu and the 98 civic icu to see if you could swap them and add the external chime of the integra.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:05 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I believe the dc2 chime is a black box with a green plug on it that hangs off of the lower dash cover. Don't think its similar like the 98 civic.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm right there also... Deschlongs DIY, as good as they are, are clearly for 5th gen. I could get some help with it. I read in his threads that the ICU is interchangeable with the 6th gen, to gain some fonctions not available in 92-95. Also, It look as the 5gen civic and 3gen integra are wired much the same, so the ICU is working practically the same and you could swap a 94-97 integra ICU for the external chime, as he does in is DIYs. You need to rearrange some pin on the connector and it should work basically the same, and with some extra wiring you can get extra features from the integra. (intermittent front wiper) or the 98-01 CRV. (front and back wipers)

But schematics are not annotated the same (I'm not good at reading these) some are numbered EK, some are lettered DC and the EG nothing next to the line on the drawing. lots and lots of reading and searching, i even made a excel sheet to get an idea...like the internal connections between ICU and fuse box, do not lead to the same amperage fuse in the box and slot number as well. IDK...

i personally wanted to have the ''lights on'' chime with intermittent rear wiper motor, that no ICU could provide. the easiest would be the DC ICU for the chime and with the 97 CRV external box for the rear wiper... but after reading many pages , i have came to the conclusion it is way to much electrical shuffle for me. I also found that the 94-97 ICU is prone to failure, by overheating or simply old age...

dont know if im of any help, but i hope people with 6thgen civic will answer some of you questions.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:57 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

If you have a 96-00 Civic and want a plink-plonk pleasant chime plus rear intermittent wiper, you will want a 94-97 Integra ICU (with the pigtail) plus the external chime, plus the intermittent wiper box from a 97 CRV.

Match function for function for the wires on the stock and donor ICU. Meaning, look at the wiring diagrams, figure out what wire does what on the Civic and the Integra, then plug it in to the spot that does that function on the Integra ICU. I wouldn't worry about the donor ICU failing any time soon, seriously.

HOWEVER: One aspect that I cannot determine from any of my wiring diagrams is where the pin on the back side of the fuse box between it and the ICU called A10 in the 96-00 Civic service manual leads to. On the 92-95 Civic, this pin is labelled 'J' or 'B10' in the manual and is routed internally within the fuse box to C501, pin 18, which is the pin/wire that provides power to the chime, as I describe in my DIY. But since the 96-00 Civic uses a different fuse box to the 92-95 Civic/94-97 Integra, I don't know where it leads. All my sources for fuse box internal wiring have come up blank. So, the only way remaining to resolve it is to get out a multimeter and start physically checking. But, know that it will lead to a similar location to the 92-95 connector C501 on the 96-00 fuse box, which is incidentally also called C501. According to page 202-16 of the 96-00 ETM, pins 14, 16, 17, and 20 are all unused so it's a good chance it will be one of them.

For the rear intermittent wiper, follow my DIY.

If you don't want the plink-plonk chime, swap in a CRV ICU from 98-01 and it will do all the things. You will need to run wires from the wiper switch down to the ICU and back, similar to if you had the box from the 97.

Last edited by deschlong; 11-11-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Did some research
Old 11-11-2018, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for the knowledge deschlong and sorry for the thread jacking OP.

I'm not sure I get what you are saying about the ICU. If I want to have it all, chime and rear int wiper, the ICU fron integra 94-97 does it all?
How to wire the power to the chime was the burden that ended my research for it. I looked at the ost you joined to you DIY and I could not figure it out... And. since I already had the controller from the 97 CR-V, I was letting the idea on the chime on the table.

For the reliability of this ICU, it was about the potentiometer leaking and the possibility of the traced circuit board burning. Wiring and electrical schematics are not my expertise...

Thanks again for the response and help deschlong
Old 11-11-2018, 12:57 PM

Hi. I edited my post to provide updated information. Yes I see now that the location providing power to the Integra chime is a mystery which can be solved by tracing with a multimeter the A10 pin on the ICU/fuse box to somewhere on the front of the fuse box, likely connector C501.

If you want intermittent REAR wiper with the Integra plink-plonk lights on chime, then you also need to get the external box from a 97 CRV like in my rear int wiper DIY.

If you want intermittent REAR wiper and a wake-the-dead EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE lights on noise, get the ICU from a 98-01 CRV. It does both.

Last edited by deschlong; 11-11-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I need a little more help here.
If i follow you, I need to check for continuity inside the fuse box, by probing from the connector for the ICU (a10) behind the fusebox to the socket where c501 (pins 14,16,17, 20) connects to

Or is it power im looking for at socket c501 ?

ICU pin a10 is the pin that power/signal the chime ?

then, lets say, pin 16 has continuity with ICU. I need to wire the chime orange wire to the found position on connector c501 ?
connect ground somewhere and it should work ?

its winter here... sled time !!!, Im asking this to have notes on what to do next spring,and while you are on the subject and not lose the research you did for it.

thanks again
Old 11-15-2018, 01:21 PM

Hi - Yes, you are checking for continuity from A10 on the fuse box behind the ICU, to somewhere on C501. If there is a pin at A10 (this is still unknown, try googling for fuse box pictures - eBay is good for this too), then it should trace to somewhere on the front of the fuse box.

A10 is provided power (directed by the PCB on the ICU) only when the lights are on and the door is open.

FYI - Since there are no known ICUs that use an external chime for the 96-00 Civic fuse box (and other models that also use the same 96-00 Civic Honda fuse box), it's possible that there is no pin at A10, in which case your options for a plink-plonk chime become murkier. It would only be possible at that point to customise the 94-97 Integra ICU and hard-wire the plink-plonk chime to the ICU.

Originally Posted by wabo

ICU pin a10 is the pin that power/signal the chime ?
Yes! A10 sends power to C501 (well, that is my guess that it is at C501!)

then, lets say, pin 16 has continuity with ICU. I need to wire the chime orange wire to the found position on connector c501 ?
connect ground somewhere and it should work ?
Correct.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

theres no pin at a10. pictures from 98 civic DX hatch
Old 11-17-2018, 05:03 PM

Now we have our answer! Not possible with this fuse box to have an OEM-wired external plink-plonk chime. You can always hack it in by patching into the ICU directly if you really really really want the plink-plonk sound. But realistically, not ideal. So at this point you can keep the 96-00 Civic ICU since it *should* already have the lights-on alarm, and add the external 97 Rear Int wiper relay, or else swap the whole ICU out for a 98-01 CR-V one.

Thx for doing the research on this.