Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Headlight bulbs question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight bulbs question

I have a 2000 Civic SI and i was wondering what the brightest headlight bulbs might be that i could put in my car with out have to change anything. Looking for some really good ones cause my night vision sucks LOL Thanks for any help
Old 07-11-2008, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Headlight bulbs question (duneracer69)

go HID or i believe silverstar hyper whites r pretty bright
Old 07-11-2008, 10:46 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd really suggest foglights too, if you don't already have them.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (NOFX)

dont have them yet but im going to get them
Old 07-11-2008, 11:14 AM
H-T White Ops

Have you checked your headlight adjustment too? I know mine are horrible right now because I haven't found a good place to align the lights. They point way far down and without foglights it's difficult to see very far ahead at night in the country.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:13 AM

Gotta agree with b18crx88. HIDs are pretty good. Also, beware of going up on the wattage. May cause wiring problems. Also, pay attention to the kelvin rating. This is your tone of light, in terms of the light spectrum. The higher the rating the closer you get to brighter tone. A normal bulb may be 5000K, and a brighter (almost daylight) bulb may be 6500k or 8500k.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headlight bulbs question (moistbill)

sunlight is around 5000k or so. The best light temperature in terms of useable light is right around 3000-5000k. This will give you the most natural light. PIAA Plasma GTX are good, Silverstars arent bad. How are your headlights themselves? make sure they are clean and the lenses arent fogged/scratched.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:17 PM

yea hid will better you
Old 07-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headlight bulbs question (alphalanos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alphalanos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sunlight is around 5000k or so. The best light temperature in terms of useable light is right around 3000-5000k. This will give you the most natural light. PIAA Plasma GTX are good, Silverstars arent bad. How are your headlights themselves? make sure they are clean and the lenses arent fogged/scratched. </TD></TR></TABLE>

my headlights are in like new condition i just want to make sure that i get the brightest bulb i can for my set up thanks for the info
Old 07-16-2008, 05:00 PM

hids! mine are green
Old 07-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headlight bulbs question (allenbarnette)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allenbarnette &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hids! mine are green </TD></TR></TABLE>
how many K's is thats
Old 07-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Headlight bulbs question (batallic)

ha crazy! i've never seen green, thats redigulous. but speaking of the kelvin ratings and color spectrum, the lower the number is, the brighter and better the visible light output. Most stock hid systems in lexus, mercedes, bmw, etc utilize a 4300k bulb which is essentially pure white. as the number gets higher the brightness decreases. 6000 is white with a little blue, 8000k is a slight purple, 9500k is sky blue, 10,000k is very blue, 12000k is violet, and some companies list 15000k as pink
Old 07-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headlight bulbs question (allenbarnette)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allenbarnette &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hids! mine are green </TD></TR></TABLE>

I like the way they look man
Old 07-17-2008, 12:48 AM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duneracer69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 2000 Civic SI and i was wondering what the brightest headlight bulbs might be that i could put in my car with out have to change anything...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dunno what the brightest bulbs are, but I run Sylvania SilverStar bulbs...

Nothing special about them except they're super bright, easy to install - takes me about 5 minutes to replace both bulbs - and they're available in every store in America.

The only downside is, they only last for about a year, so keep your stock bulbs handy in the glove box so you can change them when they pop!

LoL!

You usually only blow one at a time - and its always the low beam - but I popped two low beams in one night - no kidding - and had to drive 80 miles on my high beams because I didn't have a spare set, soo... take a lesson from me!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headlight bulbs question (BlackDeuceCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dunno what the brightest bulbs are, but I run Sylvania SilverStar bulbs...

Nothing special about them except they're super bright, easy to install - takes me about 5 minutes to replace both bulbs - and they're available in every store in America.

The only downside is, they only last for about a year, so keep your stock bulbs handy in the glove box so you can change them when they pop!

LoL!

You usually only blow one at a time - and its always the low beam - but I popped two low beams in one night - no kidding - and had to drive 80 miles on my high beams because I didn't have a spare set, soo... take a lesson from me!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya i had silverstars in my last car but the only thing i didnt like was that to me they almost had a slight blue tint to them
Old 07-17-2008, 10:47 PM
H-T White Ops

I've used SilverStars with no problems. They've lasted at least two years and no blue tint at all.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:37 AM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've used SilverStars with no problems. They've lasted at least two years and no blue tint at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed!

I ran 'blue tint' bulbs for a couple of years... there's NO mistaking them.

SilverStars are NOT blue - not even a hint of blue - and I've owned 3-4 sets!

Also, I should have added, I drive a LOT of miles, mostly at night, sooo...

While it's hardly scientific, I HAVE gone through a lot of SilverStars - and they last me about a year!

If I didn't like them so much, I'd switch to something else, but...
Old 07-18-2008, 12:46 AM
HT White Ops

OMG!!!

Check it out...

SOURCE

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Q) How long do SilverStar headlights last?

A) The life of any halogen bulb will depend upon your vehicle type and <u>how much you drive.</u> However, all halogen headlights dim over time.

<FONT COLOR="red">That’s why we recommend replacing headlights in pairs about once a year, before they burn out.</FONT>

SilverStar is a high performance halogen headlight that produces a whiter light that research has shown can improve driver visibility and reaction time. The benefits of increased light output and improved color quality can result in a shorter life for high performance headlights, compared to standard bulbs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LoL!

I swear - that wasn't planned...
Old 07-18-2008, 12:50 AM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duneracer69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ya i had silverstars in my last car but the only thing i didnt like was that to me they almost had a slight blue tint to them</TD></TR></TABLE>

BTW, maybe you're right!

From the same web site (above):

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Q) What’s the difference between European and North American SilverStar?

A) The Sylvania North American SilverStar bulbs have a <FONT COLOR="blue">high tech amethyst blue coating</FONT> to help give the whiter light appearance.

The European SilverStar does not have a coating for the whiter light, making it more like the SYLVANIA (US) XtraVision product line. Both bulbs offer greater luminance (increased brightness). </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, dude! Never noticed it myself...
Old 07-18-2008, 01:53 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (BlackDeuceCoupe)

I drive with my lights on probably 98% of the time. I find it to be a better idea to keep my car as visible to other drivers. Even with the lights on that much, my lights last at least two years.

I sell SilverStars so I'm very aware of the blue tint on the glass. I could see them appearing very slightly blueish compared to yellow bulbs or expensive bright white bulbs, but when I see a car with SilverStars coming down the road towards me, never do I think the lights look blue.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:55 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Even with the lights on that much, my lights last at least two years...</TD></TR></TABLE>

1) Are they as bright as they were "at least two years ago?"

2) How many hours a day do you drive?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:00 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are they as bright as they were "at least two years ago?"</TD></TR></TABLE>
I haven't noticed that they're any dimmer. I've seen them compared to new SilverStars too and never noticed any difference, granted the other cars don't have the same headlights.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:06 PM
HT White Ops

And, how many hours a day do you drive with your lights on?!?!?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:08 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And, how many hours a day do you drive with your lights on?!?!?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I have no idea. Anywhere from zero to twelve within the life of those specific bulbs?
Old 07-19-2008, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sick .. more pics

im soon to be rocking some pink ones son

Quick Reply: Headlight bulbs question