Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

is a header wrap good for a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is a header wrap good for a daily driver?

i picked up a greddy header and before I put it in, I was thinking that since the stock header had the heat shield that it might be a good idea to get header wrap for this header. Its a daily driver but it still cranks out the heat. Its pretty cheap. Here is a pic

1x50 is like $24....which isn't too bad. I'm guessing 1"x50' should be enought to do one header..........right?

here is the link
http://www.optauto.com/webstor...=1456
Old 05-28-2004, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is a header wrap good for a daily driver? (Raocorp)

http://store.hamiltonmarine.co...ts=10

Exhaust wrap, 1/16" x 2" x 100'

$15.29 + like $9 for ups ground s/h, right around 25 shipped but for 50 more feet and another inch wider
Old 05-28-2004, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is a header wrap good for a daily driver? (4gen)

From what I understand header wrap may actually cause the header to crack. The reason is that the heat can't escape, so the header will get too hot, which will cause cracking. Make sense?
Old 05-28-2004, 05:59 AM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i've really only seen it on cars not used for daily driving, but i dont know the long term effects
Old 05-28-2004, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is a header wrap good for a daily driver? (DxHatchback)

It will also trap moisture in and cause rust. Great for a car used primarily for the track, probably not as beneficial for a daily driver.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:17 AM

in time the header wrap will cause your header to crack

not good
Old 05-28-2004, 06:36 AM

Default Re: is a header wrap good for a daily driver? (JRI94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From what I understand header wrap may actually cause the header to crack. The reason is that the heat can't escape, so the header will get too hot, which will cause cracking. Make sense?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can understand this on like a race car, but on a daily driver? I dont see who thats pheasable.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is a header wrap good for a daily driver? (Ejay Six)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ejay Six &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I can understand this on like a race car, but on a daily driver? I dont see who thats pheasable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your engine and exhaust manifold/header don't get hot when you're just cruising?
Old 05-28-2004, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is a header wrap good for a daily driver? (Ejay Six)

most race cars run the same amount of time your daily driver runs for one day. But most race cars are not driven on a daily basis. I understand the harder you drive the car the more heat it produces but you can get a nail in a board two ways.

Hit it HARD and fast a couple of times...

or

Just keep tapping at it.

Use that analogy for your header to paint a better picture of how it will **** it up. I wouldnt worry a greddy header these days can be picked up for 150 used.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:43 AM

Default Re: is a header wrap good for a daily driver? (137)

my headder is wrapped. i have a cf hood and i diddent want to damage it from excessive heat so i wrapped up my dc sports 4into1 with heat wrap. also because i removed the factory heat shields when i dumped the oem exhaust headder.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is a header wrap good for a daily driver? (fastontheturns)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastontheturns &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my headder is wrapped. i have a cf hood and i diddent want to damage it from excessive heat so i wrapped up my dc sports 4into1 with heat wrap. also because i removed the factory heat shields when i dumped the oem exhaust headder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

umm... how would a header damage a CF hood? Only thing I could think is if you have a plastic CF hood... I have a CF hood w/ turbo, and that engine bay gets REALLY hot, and my CF hood doesnt show anythign...

As far as the wrapping goes, don't bother... the heat soak isn't that big of an issue... And it will cause your header to deteriorate faster due to trapping the moisture in... ESPECIALLY if you drive in a wet climate.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:00 AM

Default Re: is a header wrap good for a daily driver? (ScrapinSi)

not good for daily driver, your header wont last long if you do.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is a header wrap good for a daily driver? (ScrapinSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScrapinSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

umm... how would a header damage a CF hood? Only thing I could think is if you have a plastic CF hood... I have a CF hood w/ turbo, and that engine bay gets REALLY hot, and my CF hood doesnt show anythign...

As far as the wrapping goes, don't bother... the heat soak isn't that big of an issue... And it will cause your header to deteriorate faster due to trapping the moisture in... ESPECIALLY if you drive in a wet climate. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Carbonfiber does not like excessive heat and will distort or worse. But the hot parts of the exhaust are probably far enough away from the hood to not affect it.

A better alternative to getting your header wrapped is getting it ceramic coated or something similar.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont see a point on header wrap for most of us. there really isnt a significant difference with the wrap on. on headers that are made of mild steel, it will trap some moisture in there and can cause rust that you wont be able to see since its wrapped.
the only thing it really does is keep it cooler to touch since your not on direct metal.

save your money and spend it elsewhere
Old 05-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (exospeedAMcrx)

i wouldnt wrap a header...but i would wrap my intake, i took it off the other day after just cruzing, and it was hot as hell...im going 2 wrap my intake asap...
Old 05-28-2004, 09:50 AM

i wrapped my header...and my car is daily driven
the enginebay temps did cosideribly coolled off
The following users liked this post:
Old 05-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Trial User

Default Re: is a header wrap good for a daily driver? (4gen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4gen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://store.hamiltonmarine.co...ts=10

Exhaust wrap, 1/16" x 2" x 100'

$15.29 + like $9 for ups ground s/h, right around 25 shipped but for 50 more feet and another inch wider </TD></TR></TABLE>

i just orderd some of these stuff for my car.. my turbo downpipe cracked and had to repaired and the wrap was looking nasty so i needed to order this stuff.. i hope its a good as the stuff that other websites sell that are designed for cars and not boats.. owell its was only 24 bux shipped..
Old 05-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: is a header wrap good for a daily driver? (Boostfedb18c1)

I'm curious to know if it will really damage a header, and if it's just certain types of headers or what. How many people are speaking from personal experience or have documented evidence? I'm using exhaust wrap on a straight section of my custom exhaust. I'm going to take it off next year and inspect for any rust, if there is, no big loss but I'll have some documented proof.

I think you're supposed to spray it down with a special treatment to seal it out from moisture.

You can get an aftermarket heat shield from the same companies that sell the wrap. Thermotec etc. Same thing with the sealant.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is a header wrap good for a daily driver? (shaundrake)

Damn guys, search, I just spent like an hour reading about it.

Mild Steel can crack when header wrap is used b/c of heat and the metal hardening.

Stainless is a lot less likely to so it's fine to use wrap.

Your Best bet is to get your header coated by jethot, more expensive but worth every penny, even after that you can wrap it.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xerox445)

the wrap itself absorbs the heat. i dont see anything wrong with moisture on your header. **** if you live in any humid climate wtf is the differance?

especially if its already ceramic coated

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xerox445 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldnt wrap a header...but i would wrap my intake, i took it off the other day after just cruzing, and it was hot as hell...im going 2 wrap my intake asap...</TD></TR></TABLE>

how do you think your intake piping got hot?
Old 05-28-2004, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Brian.w.an.i)

the hot motor and tranny its attached to and rests on...

if radiant heat from the header can travel about half a foot or more, with air blowing it all by, and heat up my intake tube that, then kool... i doubt it...most of the heat in my car is from the engine and tranny itself...my headers get hot, but really dont have a radiance around them, while the rest of the drivetrain does...
Old 05-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the header is probably the hottest thing on your engine. unless you count the INSIDE of your combustion chamber
Old 05-28-2004, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the header is probably the hottest thing on your engine. unless you sount the INSIDE of your combustion chamber.

i say this because ive seen header(s) get red hot. ive never seen a block or transmission get red hot
Old 05-28-2004, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: (Brian.w.an.i)

i wrapped my DC ceramic header with thermotec. drove it on the street and a whole season of road racing in the northern california heat. car is now a daily driver again and was stolen and recovered a few months back and the header wrap got torn up in the failed attempt to take my header, but the header is still completely fine with no cracks.

so all these "reports" and theories of mild steel headers melting or cracking may be true as a possibility if welds are not made well or quality of steel is bad, but ive not found any issue yet with my DC header.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

apparently its only supposed to crack in spots that you haven't evenly covered the header.

Quick Reply: is a header wrap good for a daily driver?