Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Header brand vs quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header brand vs quality

I was about to purchase a new header, since my stock civic manifold is no good, but was wondering what the biggest differences between all the different brands.

I know "you get what you pay for", but im looking for a bit more information here. for example, ceramic coating vs stainless steel polish. and also brands. OBX vs WeaponR, or DC or even a generic vs say... OBX. I do NOT want to spend $300 on a header. so, given that... can anyone help me make the decision.

ps, my lack of knowledge and willingness to throw down a lot of $ has caused me to be split between the OBX ceramic and header from http://k2motor.com/

i have a 95 honda civic ex.

THANKS for any advice
Old 07-16-2005, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Header brand vs quality (turboME)

is it that hard to find a used one? i just bought a used dc ceramic looks almost new for 90.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Header brand vs quality (e jay one)

well they are all over the internet. Finding is not a problem. Finding a DC for $90 might not be that easy though. Just curious what the biggest difference is between a generic header from a name brand...
Old 07-16-2005, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably the poor quality welds and metal. think of it like a bmw vs. a geo. they both do the same job but one is going to last longer.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Header brand vs quality (e jay one)

bmw vs. geo...lol thats funny.

have an good company url's for me to shop from? I shop computer parts all the time, but not often for auto parts. Right now Ebay is like my primary source. which i do not trust 100%.

ALSO:

4-2-1 vs. 4-1
whats the biggest difference here?

Modified by turboME at 5:48 PM 7/16/2005
Old 07-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for your 95 ex...a header won't do shiet...its just for the looks so buy a cheap one...doesn't matter. 4-2-1 header will give you a better low rpm power...4-1 will give you better high end power.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: (vancoland)

why do you say that? i mean, i have heard they don't do that much, and ive heard they often do help. Personal experience?

any good company url's?

thanks for all the info already guys.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you're gonna go with a header...go with the best and save up for a dc...when they advertise like 10-15hp gain...its meant for setups that take in a lot of air like turbos ect...so that it flows more smoothly...but i'm guessing you have everything stock right now so it won't make much of a difference...that's why im saying its just for looks right now.

my opinion is to keep your car stock...looks dope and not many people will try to steal your car
Old 07-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ummm, you wouldn't use a header with a turbo...
headers can help, but to get the most you should have a cai and exhaust. I have an Airmass header on my b16, and a friend has the DC. Generic companies also might be more prone to rust. Pacesetter for example is notorious for rust problems (in the applications I know).

Old 07-16-2005, 05:16 PM

i see.

i have already had my car broken into twice in last 9 months. so i am done upgrading the stereo, electronics/inside first.

it is stock right now. i plan on giving it a new paint job (all white) lower it a little over an inch and put my new 16"s on it.

i didnt plan on putting any bolt ons on this car but the situation im in forces me to buy a new header, so i figured id upgrade at least a little.

Old 07-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SporkHSP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SporkHSP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ummm, you wouldn't use a header with a turbo...

</TD></TR></TABLE>
??...im not talking about the same header you would use for a non turbo setup...I'm talking about the ones they use to prove the hp gains
Old 07-16-2005, 05:27 PM

DC headers suck get megan headers... good quality and performance.. make sure u get stainless steel
Old 07-16-2005, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Header brand vs quality (96H22aLUDE)

Megan
Old 07-16-2005, 05:40 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vancoland &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you're gonna go with a header...go with the best and save up for a dc...when they advertise like 10-15hp gain...its meant for setups that take in a lot of air like turbos ect...so that it flows more smoothly...but i'm guessing you have everything stock right now so it won't make much of a difference...that's why im saying its just for looks right now.

my opinion is to keep your car stock...looks dope and not many people will try to steal your car</TD></TR></TABLE>

woah!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vancoland &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
??...im not talking about the same header you would use for a non turbo setup...I'm talking about the ones they use to prove the hp gains</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have no ******* idea what your talking about..

1) A header will help gains on ANY car that is naturally aspirated, maybe just a little, but it will help
2) you can't have a header and turbo at the same, changes to turbo manifold
3) DC Is a good reputable company for headers, but they're not the best and never will be..

I'd go with an AN-R header and get the best bang for the buck, but if your going to be cheap about **** your not going to have a fast car if you can't afford it.. SAVE get something nice.. and not something that's going to crack and break in a month.

Another thing.. this topic has been covered over 1,000 times..

4-1 vc 4-2-1 = https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch Search recent & archive topics and try to cut down on repeated topics.. for members thats been here for a couple years it get's old... REAL OLD

Thanks