Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is the head gasket to blame?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the head gasket to blame?

I put this post orginally in the EF section because it pertains to a EF chassis, but essentially this is a D-series question and I am just not getting the feedback I would like from that side of the board so I decided to put it up here. Thanks for any help, info, or ideas.

Okay, so a little forward info, just some questions too. This is a easy one people. I have a 90 Si with a single cam ZC. Fun car, I love it. Best 500 I have ever spent. But recently I have been having a few problems with it. The timing belt had stretched and skipped timing. So I pulled it off, replaced it, retimed the engine, and it ran fine again. But shortly there after, like day after, I was on my way to work and coolant started pissing out of an area between the intake manifold and the head. Left hand side of the motor over the transmission. There was so much smoke that I could not see where it came from, and once dry there was no traces of a coolant leak. I guess my question really is, is it common for the head gasket to go after the timing belt? I don't want to try chasing down a problem to never find it when I can just pull the motor and swap. The coolant seems to be fine, not milky, and no traces of coolant in the oil. I'm a little confused...
Old 05-18-2008, 02:02 PM

Location: ....................................................................................................
Default Re: Is the head gasket to blame? (shaggyeg6si)

headstuds not torqued right? replacing the headgasket is just a 4 hour job shouldn't be bad did it on my dz6, is it smoking out the exhaust?
Old 05-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is the head gasket to blame? (blkegcoupe)

The problem happened, I have not replaced the head gasket yet. This happened and now I am going to replace the head gasket.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you'd know if it was the HG. loss of power/compression, and a shitload of white smoke, id check all coolants lines going to the head/IM, there's probably a bad hose, a hose disconnected, or a fat hole in a hose.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its the coolant hose that goes to the heater thingy. It goes from right above the tranny back to the firewall. look for it and put for coolant in the car and start your car. Have a friend watch the temp gauge
Old 05-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it seem like its the intake manifold gasket not to head gasket... my friend accord did the same thing and we fix it. before hand he told me his head crack and he didnt know **** he just pointed and said look..it cracked..easy fix
Old 05-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is the head gasket to blame? (jry2598)

i didnt know your IM gasket, had anything to do with coolant...
Old 05-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is the head gasket to blame? (jry2598)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jry2598 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it seem like its the intake manifold gasket not to head gasket... my friend accord did the same thing and we fix it. before hand he told me his head crack and he didnt know **** he just pointed and said look..it cracked..easy fix </TD></TR></TABLE>

quit talking about yourself. I didn't know people these days had a confidence level as low as yours.

just put water in the radiator, top it off, close it, start the car, wait for it to warm up, wait for water to spew out somewhere, locate the area, find out the problem, if your stuck come back here for updates, if you know what to do go to the nearest autoparts store and pick up what you need, and replace.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is the head gasket to blame? (Hanmin)

Well I replaced the head gasket, I figured it was a good bit of insurance as I was unsure of when the last time it had been replaced. The funny thing is though, when the head gasket came off, and taking a look at the pistons and the valves, everything looks brand new. It's a little insulting, haha. I'll post up some pics. Now there is no spark, so I will try a different distributor.