Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Head bolts wont torque down.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head bolts wont torque down.

So I did a gasket change on my d16y7 and went to bolt the head back down and it was pretty hard to get them started. Checked the threads, their fine.. forced them down a little. Pulled them out and checked again, still fine.

Bolted them down, and then went to torque them down, 14, 36, 49, 49 1st and 2nd sequence was easy, no problem. Once I went to torque it down to 49 a couple bolts just kep spinning and wouldn't torque down. I'm assuming the area the bolts go into are stripped. What can I do guys? I'm already into deep with this car and am low on cash.

Any comments/help is appreciated.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Head bolts wont torque down.

drill and tap and install a helicoil maybe look into time-serts. Id call a local machine shop they may be able to advise you on what they do in these situations.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Time-sert is the only way to go for head bolts. It's pricey but worth it.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I was way off guys, I managed to fully torque down 9/10 head bolts. They all torqued down though all 4 sequences 14/39/49/49. Problem is number 2 started stretching after the 2nd sequence so its at 39ft pounds. Nothings stripped. I doubled up the head gaskets just incase something like this did happen.

This is only temporary until I finish rebuilding my d16z6 setup. I KNOW this is not recommended but do you guys think it will hold up for a couple of weeks to buy me time to finish? I need it to make it back and forth to work till then.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You...doubled up...the head gaskets?

Old 07-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You've never heard of doing that lol? I didn't have time to resurface it. A lot of people down here do it mostly if you have a warped head. But it works. Anyway, anyone think I'll be fine for a few weeks? Can't do a compression test till morning but before I changed the head gasket the head had fine compression was just going to change it since I was already changing the timing belt/water pump.

For future reference, By doubling up I mean using/stacking 2 NEW head gaskets.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:18 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

You're reusing head studs that you've admitted were stretched to ****, doubling your head gasket because you can't be bothered to do it correctly, and can't take 5 minutes to do a compression test (even though you evidently have the time to create a thread).

You're driving behind a ticking time bomb. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
You're reusing head studs that you've admitted were stretched to ****, doubling your head gasket because you can't be bothered to do it correctly, and can't take 5 minutes to do a compression test (even though you evidently have the time to create a thread).

You're driving behind a ticking time bomb. Good luck.
Yea man you are probably right. Thanks for your help.

Next time, don't bother replying to a thread if you have no intentions other than to talk negatively. It's not suppose to be a perfect job, the head was actually in really good shape, 120k miles and wasn't warped the slightest, I just doubled them up in worst case scenario and I had a couple laying around anyway. Yes I reused the studs since I have a set coming in for my z6 head, I just planned on swapping the gasket, water pump and timing belt and calling it that until one of the bolts stretched.. And I don't have my gauge on me its in my dads shop so quit trolling and give some positive feedback. All I wanted to know is if It'd be okay till I finished my real project. :/
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he's not being negative he's just telling it like it is, you are the one half assing ****, temporary or not why didnt you just do it right in the first place? and you aren't supposed to double up head gaskets, just because others do it doesn't make it less idiotic, if you are going to do things half ***, dont get pissed when others call you out on it. Don't listen to that idiot at Hazma tuning eithier he doesnt know what he's doing
Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Next time you think about making a thread, don't click that "create new" button until you're ready to accept ALL feedback, both positive and negative. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't make it any less true.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I'm short on cash and need a ride back and forth to work. And I have to settle and work with what I got. And I'm not a professional, All I wanted was some positive feedback. Can that one head bolt not being completely torqued to factory spec cause that big of a problem?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yes, it can. If all you want is positive feedback (translation: dickriding), text your buddies. This part of the forum is for actual, realistic, technical advice.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:45 PM
longest project ever

Originally Posted by TunerKid4lyf
Well I'm short on cash and need a ride back and forth to work. And I have to settle and work with what I got. And I'm not a professional, All I wanted was some positive feedback. Can that one head bolt not being completely torqued to factory spec cause that big of a problem?
short on cash isnt a reason to possibly **** up a good engine later because of some head bolts thats an excuse not a reason
Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, thanks then. I admit I'm half assing it, but If I could do it right then I would but for now I'm stuck with it. So I will drive behind my ticking time bomb till my arp studs and z6 dizzy come in so that I can do things the right way. My apologies jbp, I'm just stressed with everything on this car wanting to go wrong lol.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:51 PM
longest project ever

makes dumb repair, posts about it, argues about it, prepare to say goodbye to angus
Old 07-10-2013, 10:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

We all get stressed and pissed off at our cars sometimes. You should have seen me replacing plugs and wires on a Subaru the other weekend. All I can say is this - the best advice is usually the last thing you actually want to hear.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i recently did my head gasket. i searched around online a bit and found that some head bolts are re-usable... but some AREN'T. head bolts are made to stretch a little, but also, this is why i bought a torque wrench to do mine and even made a thread so i'd get the correct order and specs for this as it's kind of one of those really important things. anyways. go to home depot with your bolts, match the correct thread pitch and size new bolt. take that new bolt and put it on your head bolts and see if the threads line up (NOT if the threads cause the bolts to sit on top of eachother but the thread groves allow it to sit flush). do this with all of your head bolts. this is still risky biz as again, i can't tell you that you're head bolts ARE the reusable one's or NOT! in theory, just because the threads look good does NOT mean that you can re-use them anyways. AGAIN, i will re-emphasize, SOME HEAD BOLTS ARE RE-USABLE AND SOME ARE NOT!!! there's a marking on the bolt to indicate this.

doubling up head gaskets is a great victory and here's why:
1) It works most of the time.
2) When it goes bad, the car owner is tickled it lasted as long as it did.

not much of a victory if you only get 3 months of joy though. when i did mine i was out about $100. head gasket, resurfacing, the machinist pulling the cam because i didnt want to mess with it. i would NOT double up gaskets because you dont need to drop compression.

i just scrolled up a bit and read that you've already done it and on road so hope it all works out for you and doesnt leave you stuck.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You won't strip all your head bolts, if one or two get stripped or won't tight, helicoil or new head studs is the best.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Reusing torque to yeild heald bolts. strike 1
Doubling up headgaskets. strike 2
Not even bothering to check anything important. Strike 3
Doesn't even have compression tester. Disqualified.

RIP your engine.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:27 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't 2 gaskets lower the compression?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Don't 2 gaskets lower the compression?
it would, but how are you sure it would even seal? each side of the head gasket is made with a special sealer to seal to the block and head,

He is Sealing the bottom of one head gasket to the top of another, which isn't how head gaskets are designed.

IMO it will fail.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TunerKid4lyf
Yea man you are probably right. Thanks for your help.

Next time, don't bother replying to a thread if you have no intentions other than to talk negatively. It's not suppose to be a perfect job, the head was actually in really good shape, 120k miles and wasn't warped the slightest, I just doubled them up in worst case scenario and I had a couple laying around anyway. Yes I reused the studs since I have a set coming in for my z6 head, I just planned on swapping the gasket, water pump and timing belt and calling it that until one of the bolts stretched.. And I don't have my gauge on me its in my dads shop so quit trolling and give some positive feedback. All I wanted to know is if It'd be okay till I finished my real project. :/
This isn't the first thread where you come asking for advice, if I recall correctly, and admit to doing a less than half-assed job that anyone should be ashamed of, then cop attitude when someone correctly points out that you've done a **** poor, half-assed job.

Why do you even post here if you're not going to do it right, argue, and not take the advice you're given? Are you trolling for attention?
Old 07-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean... I hate to say it but I wouldn't even drive that thing for a few minutes man, especially if you were low on cash that one will come to cost way more in not even a month or so. Usually I'll opt in for cheap temp fixes, trust me, but this one is just too much haha.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by n/a2boost
Time-sert is the only way to go for head bolts. It's pricey but worth it.
Agree'd... Been using Time-serts for the head bolts for many years and never had an issue.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 PM
longest project ever

some older Honda's use head bolts that are designed to be reused, your service manual will tell you if they are designed this way, personally if ARP bolts are available, the old stock ones are going, best head bolts in the world, also the best wheel studs, for just a little more then cheap ones

Quick Reply: Head bolts wont torque down.