Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Having problems starting car.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having problems starting car.

Ok folks, i hope somebody can help me

I bought a 97 civic hb with a b16a2 in it. The car was really a bitch to start so what i did was get a obd2 distributor from dist. king, obd2 alternator, injectors and brand new 97 civic ex engine harness. While I was at it, I also changed the intake manifold and throtle body to a itr.
The problem is that the car wont start. I checked electric current in the fuel pump plug and theres nothing, but the fuel level sender has energy goin to it. The fuel pump works, if i get a cable from the battery to the fuel pump, it will work.
I tried to start the car doing this, but there is no spark either.
I already checked all fuses, in and out, they all work. I checked also the PGFI relay switch and it works too. Do anybody has any idea what could be wrong?
I have also tried two different engine harnesses and all grounds and the car actually cranks, just no energy to the fuel pump and no spark.

TIA
Old 06-06-2005, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Buy a new fuel pump and fuel filter. You said there's no spark. What do you mean by that? Are you talking about from the spark plugs or what? I know it sounds like a dumb question. check the firing order of your wires from the dizzy n make sure they are going to the right cylinder. change your spark plug wires and spark plugs while you're at it.

Are you throwing n e codes? did you do a compression test? If you got a bad block and one of your cylinders is f*cked, it will just crank and won't start either. But that is extreme and probably not the problem here.
Just check that other stuff and hopefully you'll be driving around in no time. Hope that helps.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybridmyk)

Thanks for the reply.

The fuel pump works, so i dont think that will help. Even if i buy a new one, the problem is there is no energy in the fuel pump connector.
When i say there is spark, i tested it with a spark checker, no spark. Also a friend of mine was grounding the spark plug while i was crankin the car, no spark either.
The cables are brand new and the spark plusg too, but just in case i also tested it with some "old" wires and plugs.
No codes, and now that u mention it, i dont see the check engine light when i put the ignition in on, but i do see the oil and battery lights.
Compression was done before i messed with the car and it was perfect and the same in all 4 cylinders.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (endless_pain)

perhaps you got a bad wiring harness. I would start testing the connections to the fuel pump if it's not getting power.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wilsel)

The wiring harness is brand new from Honda. Also im using a 97 civic ex ecu so i dont need a conversion harness to plug it.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your ecu for codes...
had the same problem just recently...plug a different one to test
remember (steady CEL=FAULTY ECU) get back to us on this...
Old 06-06-2005, 06:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Kool305)

are you sure its not the main relay?
Old 06-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IHateJDM)

Well, I was kind of wrong, the new harness made a difference, now i have spark but I still dont have power in the fuel pump.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IHateJDM)

IHateJDM, I should double check on that. When i had the old harness I tried one from a different civic, one that worked, and i was still not gettin any power to the fuel pump, I should try now to check if with the spark that now im gettin it will make a difference.

The one that u call the main relay is the one that its under the glove box in civics right?
Old 06-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The relay is under the drivers side dash. Your ecu is on the passenger side. try grounding your obdII plug near the ecu with a paperclip and check for codes. I kno another guy on this forum has detailed instructions on how to do it n listed all the codes n how to read them. If you have another ecu, try it. But, check your relay like the othre guy said. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybridmyk)

I think only integras have the programed fuel injection maiin relay under the drivers side. Mine has it on the glove box side.
Maybe im confussin things, is there a fuel pump only relay?
Old 06-07-2005, 05:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the main relay has is the relay that turns on the fuel pump. I'm not 100% sure where it is on a 97, but it should be under the dash somewhere.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:52 AM

if u check the relay and it works, u may also wanna check to see if youre engine harness is plugged in all the way under the hood of your car. I had the same problem with my car and it was due to one of my connections not being connected all the way like it was supposed to. It took me so long to figure out :@