Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hate to do it but.... Which Flywheel Clutch combo??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Hate to do it but.... Which Flywheel Clutch combo??

I know there are threads on this but none seem to really have a LOT of opinions.

depending on the question asked different people chime in with the specific set up that the person asks about...

I'm open to anything... so I want everyone with ANY experience in the flywheel clutch dept. to give their .02

I'm definately going for the lightest from which ever manufacturer as I don't ever plan on drag racing.

*edit*

I fucked up the pole... I'm not locked into the HDSS clutch kit but other than exedy which ones are recomended?

Any/All opinions welcome

*/edit*

*edit2*
Sorry guys' I have a 93 civic ex coupe with 203k miles on it. It has i/h/e hiflo cat some ignition parts but that's about it... I'm going to be getting the 59300 in a week or two and hopefully going turbo over the summer.
*/edit*

Modified by NonovUrbizniz at 1:56 PM 4/30/2005
Old 04-29-2005, 01:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Hate to do it but.... Which Flywheel Clutch combo?? (NonovUrbizniz)

None of the above. I went clutchmasters, and I'm happy with it. Wish I went stage 2 or 3 instead of 1 though. Love the 7 lb flywheel. btw, this is on H22.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hate to do it but.... Which Flywheel Clutch combo?? (IHateJDM)

I ended up going with an RPS street clutch with a Toda 8lbs flywheel.

I'm glad i spent the extra to get a lighter flywheel, makes quite a difference! The clutch is pretty good so far. Doesn't really slip and pedal feel is still pretty light. Auto-x'd it and it held up well.

Good luck with whatever combo you choose
Old 04-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hate to do it but.... Which Flywheel Clutch combo?? (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">None of the above. I went clutchmasters, and I'm happy with it. Wish I went stage 2 or 3 instead of 1 though. Love the 7 lb flywheel. btw, this is on H22.</TD></TR></TABLE>

clutchmaster stage 3 for me with 10lbs exedy flywheel on my b20vtec... feels like stock but grabs like crazy
Old 04-29-2005, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hate to do it but.... Which Flywheel Clutch combo?? (b20izzle)

AXION clutch packg. **** is bomb... and of course fo cheaper than all...
Old 04-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hate to do it but.... Which Flywheel Clutch combo?? (ek2k)

Right on. Thanks for all the good responses...

For some reason I havent' even looked at the clutchmaster's at all....

Will look into those tonight...

I've got money to spend but the more budget concious I am the more I can buy.

Keep'em comin.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fidanza 8.5 w/ clutchmasters stg.1 for DD. loving it so far
Old 04-29-2005, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hate to do it but.... Which Flywheel Clutch combo?? (butters)

u going NA or turbo? an ACT prolite would be too light of a flywheel for a turbo car, revs will drop so fast between shifts... streetlite for a FI car

HDSS
Old 04-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hate to do it but.... Which Flywheel Clutch combo?? (BrokeAssPinoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeAssPinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u going NA or turbo? an ACT prolite would be too light of a flywheel for a turbo car, revs will drop so fast between shifts... streetlite for a FI car

HDSS </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm NA for now but going to JY turbo it probobly later this year if not next year. However I'm not too concerned with the flywheel affecting anything on a turbo... generally the idea is that the lighter weight allows the turbo to spool faster.

Whether or not the rpms drop in the middle of the shift... they pop right back up as soon as you're in the next gear. and all the boost in the system is cleared through the BOV anyway.

Only real concern with too lite a flywheel I've ever seen is either it drops the rpms too low and stalls the car before it can bounce the idle up a tad, and that you can't really launch as well since you don't have as much inertia to get the wheels turning.

I don't launch and i'm not going to go rediculous light so I'm not really conerned with that.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got a fidanza 8lb flywheel and exedy organic clutch and i love it very streetable and grabs quite well too!
Old 04-29-2005, 10:56 PM

Action Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel
Old 04-29-2005, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Non Of the Above....

Custom South Bend clutch
6 puck
Kevlar/Graphit combo.. Soo gentle on the leg and grabs on like a raped date

Fidanza 8lb flywheel
Old 04-30-2005, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

So, so far maybe 2 people have the same clutch/flywheel combo.

Well anyone have any negative input on the ACT set up because that seems to be the balance of cost and performance I'm leaning towards now...

I looked at clutchmaster last night and unless I can get a good discount through my buddies shop then those are out of the question. I'm not looking to spend over 600 bucks on the both... frankly I'm kinda disdurbed about spending that much on them as it is as that money could probobly buy me engine managment for a turbo set up. but my clutch is GONE so I have to do it, and I'm not going to do it w/o doing the flywheel at the same time.

Fidanza exedy is looking attractive... I'm just worried the clutch won't grab as well and will be prone to overheating/slipping once I go turbo.

Thanks for the opinions so far and keep'em coming... Also feel free to elaborate on what it is you think is wrong with one setup or right about another.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:10 AM

Default Re: (NonovUrbizniz)

Just ordrered my Exedy stage 1 clutch from ebay, only 120 bucks. Not a bad deal...
Old 04-30-2005, 12:32 PM

act clutch with street disc and act streetlight flywheel
Old 04-30-2005, 12:54 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know there are threads on this but none seem to really have a LOT of opinions.

depending on the question asked different people chime in with the specific set up that the person asks about...

I'm open to anything... so I want everyone with ANY experience in the flywheel clutch dept. to give their .02

I'm definately going for the lightest from which ever manufacturer as I don't ever plan on drag racing.

*edit*

I fucked up the pole... I'm not locked into the HDSS clutch kit but other than exedy which ones are recomended?

Any/All opinions welcome

*/edit*

*edit2*
Sorry guys' I have a 93 civic ex coupe with 203k miles on it. It has i/h/e hiflo cat some ignition parts but that's about it... I'm going to be getting the 59300 in a week or two and hopefully going turbo over the summer.
*/edit*

Modified by NonovUrbizniz at 1:56 PM 4/30/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would actually do the following...

ACT prolite flywheel
ACT Extreme PP
Clutchnet 6-puc sprung hub
JDM ITR Final drive
Mugen 2way LSD
probably in an LS teg trans.

Just IMO, happy tuning, btw I voted ACT/ACT
Old 04-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hate to do it but.... Which Flywheel Clutch combo?? (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would actually do the following...

ACT prolite flywheel
ACT Extreme PP
Clutchnet 6-puc sprung hub
JDM ITR Final drive
Mugen 2way LSD
probably in an LS teg trans.

Just IMO, happy tuning, btw I voted ACT/ACT </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I'm def. not going to be getting a 6 puck... I don't need anywhere near that amount of holding power... as far as the teg trans and the mugen lsd. I have a d series. not a b so that eliminates both of those I'm pretty sure.

Also if I were going to go LSD it would be quaife.

Thanks everyone
Old 04-30-2005, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hate to do it but.... Which Flywheel Clutch combo?? (HondaFanatic708)

someone mentioned XTSS, way too much holding power for a Dseries unless you have a crazy turbo. HDSS maybe... i do recommend the Fidanza flywheel though!!!!!

Old 05-01-2005, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Hate to do it but.... Which Flywheel Clutch combo?? (sidesi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sidesi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">someone mentioned XTSS, way too much holding power for a Dseries unless you have a crazy turbo. HDSS maybe... i do recommend the Fidanza flywheel though!!!!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>I certainly looks pretty. I personally like the ACT prolite. The benefit of the Fidanza or AASCO is you will most likely NEVER have to buy another flywheel (unless you warp it, very unlikely) because if you look the contact surface is replacable. That is always nice. But they sure aren't 7.8 LBS like mine, LOL. **** my NON-VTEC LS teg motor feels real nice, I can't wait to have a Frankenstein under the hood. I will really be able to feel how that ACT pro-lite performs. BTW DON'T buy clutch masters, trust me on this. My teg is not running right now because I used a CM clutch. It blew in like a week, hopefully it didn't **** up my CT flywheel I just bought, I would be pissed. Not a big deal this clutch (stage 3) was pretty much free because the one I origionally bought and dropped in my JDM B16A Civic blew after 3 weeks. **** CM!!! They suck. Never buy their clutches, just IMO. I know peeps have had some good LUCK with them, but that's all it is is luck!!!

Old 05-01-2005, 12:45 PM

i have act pro lite fly wheel
act max exetream pressure plate
and act 4 puk disc
Old 05-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbo_eg6)

See I've heard nightmare stories of CM clutches too... but a lot of mechanic's I know swear by them...

I'm probobly going to go act HDSS there's def. no reason for me to have the xt and no reason for anything over a SS clutch.

I'm gunna go turbo eventually but i'm not looking to go crazy in the HP dept. Just something that rips and doesn't loose traction in every gear.

Not sure on the flywheel though... fidanza is def. more affordable... Gotta research that one more...

Thanks for all the input and keep it coming.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fidanza 7.5lb and competition clutch stage 2 here, nothing but good things to say
Old 05-01-2005, 05:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">See I've heard nightmare stories of CM clutches too... but a lot of mechanic's I know swear by them...
I'm probobly going to go act HDSS there's def. no reason for me to have the xt and no reason for anything over a SS clutch.

I'm gunna go turbo eventually but i'm not looking to go crazy in the HP dept. Just something that rips and doesn't loose traction in every gear.

Not sure on the flywheel though... fidanza is def. more affordable... Gotta research that one more...

Thanks for all the input and keep it coming.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You ask why mechanics swear by them? Cause it means more money in their pockets, LMAO...
Old 05-01-2005, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondaFanatic708)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic708 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You ask why mechanics swear by them? Cause it means more money in their pockets, LMAO... </TD></TR></TABLE>

No I mean like guys I worked with or worked for my buddies father's shop... They know I'm poor and whatever work/parts I get are handled by me.

But that is the case... clutchmaster is just about the only aftermarket clutch company that most shops can source through one of their local suppliers.

Anyway, It looks like I'll make my decision in the beginning of next week...

So far the lead contenders are ACT and Fidanza... If people are swearing by fidanza then I might lean that way as I think I can get on cheaper.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CM isn't nearly as bad as he makes it sound. Mine has been great for well over a year now. I have a feeling something was installed improperly for it to fail in a week. Also, I've seen bad things from ACT too. One of my old friends had one, and his tranny soon suffered from the 'steel wool' problem, caused by his ACT. He switched to CM, and called it a 300% improvement. Everyone will give you a different opinion, do what's right for your needs and pocketbook.

Quick Reply: Hate to do it but.... Which Flywheel Clutch combo??