Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hatch VS. SI Hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch VS. SI Hatch?

I'm new to this forum and I'm looking into buying a 92-94 hatch. I was woundering what was the difference between the SI and the normal Hatches were. Also what prices should i expect to pay for one. I live in San Jose, CA and they seem to be pretty pricey around here. What is a fair price to pay for a stock or slightly modded 92-94 hatch or SI hatch. Thanks
Old 07-07-2004, 10:53 AM

92-95 civic si hatch have a 1.6 sohc vtec engine, sunroof, ac, power steering, 4 wheel disc brake. the other ones have 1.5 soch non-vtec , and they come very basic they are less heavy. and make better projectc cars, i have a 93 civic hatch dx and i got it for 800 dlls with a salvage title, now it has a b18c1(gsr motor) and some other stuff, but u should be able to find a good for around $2500
Old 07-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crzymine03)

Cruise control also, plus some SI's come with ABS(same brakes as Integras).
Old 07-07-2004, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your looking to do a swap I wouldn't recomend the Si. The Cx and Vx (if you can find one) They're the lightest. And if your crazy about fast, you can find one without powersteering and/or without a/c. $800 is about as good as they get. Any thing over $2000, your overpaying. Spend some time and find one for you.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:05 AM

Default Re: (The Hatchmo)

I got my cx hatch with no powersteering and minimal options for $1800 in near-mint condition about two weeks ago. It sucks that I have to swap brakes, install rear speakers, EX gauge cluster, etc., etc., but the weight you save over an Si is completely worth it. CX is the ultimate project car IMHO, I would definetley look for one or a DX if I were you.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 things that an Si has that I haven't seen mentioned yet - larger gas tank, and an adjustable steering rack.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:18 AM

So basically the only real important things I would be missing is the better engine which I plan on swapping and rear disk brakes which I can swap aswell. The other options that came on the SI I don't really care for since this would be a project. Are the front SI disks any different from the front disks on a CX or DX?
Old 07-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SpydiR)

ebay is a great place to start your search. You can find one with some mods already started for about 4grand.--this will usally have a engine swap of some sort. to give you an idea, I have a buddy with a 92 hatch, B16 with OEM LSD, all fully rebuilt back to stock, the car has H/R suspension on it, we did everything, the car is very very clean, and he wants $5500 for it. You can find a CRX with a B16 swap for like 3500 on ebay pretty much everyday of the week....
Old 07-07-2004, 11:21 AM

i just wanna rock any civic with a single cam Vtec... i wanna turbo a single cam bad... i dont know why... there jus really strong blocks.. unlike my POS b20a (old school lude)
Old 07-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondainspired)

another question... are you going to drive this car everyday? or is this your weekend race car?
Old 07-07-2004, 01:12 PM

I already own a Trans Am which is my fast car. I just want to build a hatch that will get good gas mileage and have good performance and handling.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ur car will handle well when u add struts i have a cx 93 with an ls in it i actually got that bitch up to 140 today it was sick and my mom and my system was in the car going downhill madd fun ha.. anyways i paid 2g's for mines and its salvage and it runs cherry now on my third engine went from cx.. super slow to zc sohc vtec to the new ls which is about 2 weeks old and killing em.. kid.. its a great car even dropped out my ac and didnt have power steering the only thing that i regret is not haveing better brakes honestly especially if u drive like me...
Old 07-07-2004, 01:59 PM

Default Re: (pane93civhb)

Originally Posted by B18C5-EH2
Okay, I see a lot of posts about vehicle weight and the differences between the various CX, VX, DX, and Si models.

I'd like to set this **** straight so nobody else is confused.

First of all thanks to Shawn Hayes here on H-T for hooking me up with the 1992 Civic sales brochure, which had all the specs for every 1992 Honda Civic available, meaning hatchbacks and 4-doors only since the coupe wasn't offered until 1993.

Anyways, here go the base weights as measured by Honda in 1992:

1992 Honda Civic:

CX hatchback: 2094lbs.
VX hatchback: 2094lbs.
DX hatchback: 2178lbs.
Si hatchback: 2326lbs.

So that's the weights of each vehicle STOCK.

Notice the exact same weight for both the CX and VX? This should dispell those "VX is the lightest" arguments. In fact, in theory would you not think the CX would be even lighter since the VX had light-*** alloy 13 inch wheels while the CX had heavy-*** steel wheels? This would leave me to believe a few different things:

Body for body (which matters more because you swap out the wheels anyways, I mean 13'' wheels, come on!) I think this may mean the CX is lighter still. The only thing I can think that would make the VX the sane weight but has much lighter wheels might be that the VTEC-E motor weighs more than the CX 8-valve motor.

Another thing is the gas tanks.

CX and VX has a 10 gallon tank, while the DX and Si have the 11.9 gallon tank. Keep in mind these specs are striaght from Honda, so regardless how much gas you've squeezed in your CX, VX, DX, or Si it dosn't matter. Honda probably only measures TANK volume, not the filler and what's already in the fuel lines, etc.

So you also see that the DX is 84lbs. more than the CX/VX. Why would this be? Here's what I came up with:

Bigger fuel tank - tank is steel, so bigger = heavier
Rear wiper/washer
More tar - seen it myself. DX has more tar than the CX/VX.
Side moldings - plastic, but still weighs more than the non-existent side moldings on the CX/VX
Rear cargo cover std. it weighs something, right?

That just might be the difference. Things like the cargo cover and tar, rear washer/wiper can be deleted to get closer to CX/VX, so it's not a huge deal.

You also see that the Si is one heavy PIG compared to it's other hatchback brothers.

One more hilarious thing here for you guys with Si hatches that say "coupes are heavy, that's why I have a hatch" which I see often, and used to say myself.

How's this strike you:

1992 Civic 4-door with manual tranny:

DX 4-door: 2275lbs.
LX 4-door: 2319lbs.

Why did I bold the LX 4-door weight?

Because it has power windows, doorlocks, cruise control, power steering, etc. and is STILL lighter than the Si hatchback! So what do you think of the coupes now? If the 4-door is lighter, what about the 2-door coupes? The DX coupe is a good deal lighter than the Si hatchback.

Don't get all pissy if you own an Si - I used to have one, but after getting beaten by others in CX, VX, and DX hatches with less whp I sold it to build up a CX hatchback.

So, does anyone else on H-T here have this kind of info on the 1994-1995 hatchbacks? I know they weigh more because they added another airbag in 1994-1995, and some Si hatches came with ABS too. All that **** adds weight.

One last thing to keep in mind here:

These cars were weighed BONE STOCK.

This means:

No A/C - was NOT std. on any hatchback in 1992
No radio - again radios were NOT std. on ANY hatches in 1992
Only Si had 2 mirrors std. Add the weight of a mirror if you got 2 on your CX/VX/DX
ONLY the Si had powersteering - the DX auto did too, but I didn't list that one. I listed the manual, which had no p/s
Stock wheels. VX had lightweight 13'' alloys, CX/DX had 13'' steels, Si had heaviest 14'' steelies with wheel covers

So think about all those things that we can take out of our cars to get the weight down. This gives you a basic idea of what your car should weigh with no A/C, p/s, etc.

Also think about what ADDS weight to your car. Stereo, SWAP, bigger brakes, swaybars, bigger wheels, strut bars, etc. So don't think your 1992 CX weighs 2094lbs. if you have 2 mirrors, A/C, radio, SWAP, etc. You might be over the stock weight.

What are your thoughts on this guys?

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 11:58 PM 3/22/2002]
Old 07-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude, did I read that right... with your mom in the car.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea my mom was in the car my car is lowered sick too.. lol and when we hit a bump she asked me to slow down and i did... my moms is cool but i was running late to work... listening to ginuwine 100% lol.. check out my car on http://www.cardomain.com/id/pane11213 2nd page has better like 6mnth old pics before the swap...
Old 07-07-2004, 04:39 PM
* B A N N E D *

ill sell you a semi built del sol dohc chassis "bar'd" gsr ..ill let it go for 8k ... thats with a turbo kit .. if you want me to list what it has Pm me
Old 07-07-2004, 04:49 PM

"yea my mom was in the car my car is lowered sick too.. lol and when we hit a bump she asked me to slow down and i did... my moms is cool but i was running late to work... listening to ginuwine 100% lol.. check out my car on http://www.cardomain.com/id/pane11213 2nd page has better like 6mnth old pics before the swap... "

I checked out your car...WHY?
Why is it if your car is so great you have pic of a BMW in background

Seems like a typical Honda, nothing exciting: big *** wheels and a discolored hood! Great ride keep it up

Also why did you put a 16v engine cover on? So you have a swap now big deal...nothing to brag about.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a pic of i bmw cuz my first car was a bmw 330ci.. and now i have the hatch also and my dream car is a m3 i dont want much... dont hate i love my honda.. i put the 16 valve cover on the cx engine cuz i painted it.. discolored hood cuz its fiberglass just got it from cervinis ram air 2,, i think it looks aight anyways those are my daily driver wheels.. anymore questions would like to check out ur ride..
Old 07-07-2004, 09:51 PM

i got a civic vx, i geuss one of the lightests i think 2000 or so Ibs, same with the cx, i no that the si is like 2300 ibs, there also is difference in gas tank sizes. If u want one with a tachometer stock either vx or si the only two models wit one.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:11 PM

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=796746

here is my new ride, the rims are now gunmetal gray. Im still piecing together my turbo kit here is what I am doing for my turbo

t3 turbo-garrett T3 50 trim .42/.63 AR turbine (eBay)
BOV Blitz DD or HKS Super SQV or Go Fast Bits (GFB)
injectors 450cc-RC or DSM Saturated
Exhaust Manifold LOG MANIFOLD
VAFC Hack
Johnny Racecar 5" FMIC
Greddy Charge Pipes
AEM Fuel Pressure Regulator
ACT Clutch Kit
Lightened Flywheel
Boost Controller/Turbo Timer
Old 07-07-2004, 10:15 PM

Default Re: (92CivicSiR2)

"i got a civic vx, i geuss one of the lightests i think 2000 or so Ibs, same with the cx, i no that the si is like 2300 ibs, there also is difference in gas tank sizes. If u want one with a tachometer stock either vx or si the only two models wit one. "

Any tach out a 92-95 civic will work, most get an ex out of a 2 door coupe. Jsut make you get one for AUTO if you have auto and a MANUAL if you have 5-speed
Old 07-07-2004, 10:17 PM

Default Re: (KarbinFourteen)

if u want like a pimp car get the si one
if u like for a racing get the vx version
Old 07-07-2004, 10:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pane93civhb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ur car will handle well when u add struts i have a cx 93 with an ls in it i actually got that bitch up to 140 today it was sick and my mom and my system was in the car going downhill madd fun ha.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 07-07-2004, 10:29 PM

Default Re: (MichaelJComputer)

Don't forget about the front sway bar to.. I think it's 19mm. The interior is a little better, quality wise aswell.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:54 PM
Help we my pennies

Default Re: (MichaelJComputer)

si hatch

Quick Reply: Hatch VS. SI Hatch?