Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do?

I haven't got it yet (still need to sell the rex), but i plan on getting a 5th gen hatch. The thing is, that I want to have very nice handling (like i do now) and one of the things needed to handle nicely is a rear strut bar. I've been looking at pictures of hatchs on ebay and it seems like there is very little room behind the rear seats. I have two 12 inch sub woofers in a box (I know this weighs me down but I enjoy my music a little more than a .1 of a second), now i don't want to put them in my rear seat (one of the reasons i'm getting the hatch) but I dont' want to have to sacrifice the rear strut bar. So What did you guys do? The only thing that has even came to my mind so far is spending an *** load of money on a custom fiber glass box that will have a whole in it for hte strut bar. Thanks guys.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:25 PM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (PhatHardy)

I hum all the songs I like in my head...while circling the racetrack...
Old 04-08-2003, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (PhatHardy)

sorry ladies like the 6.5inch flip out Tv with a 12inch sub in the R
Old 04-08-2003, 06:41 PM

If you want to keep your subs, and have a good handeling car, try getting/putting subs in a truck box. I have two 12 inch JL's in a standard full size box that I use as a fish tank stand at the moment, because I put in 2, 10 inch subs in truck boxes that weigh atleast 3/4 less than the full size box, and still bump pretty loud. They weigh under 35lbs for the 2 subs, and the amp, which is not bad, and conserves on space at the same time.

just an idea
Old 04-08-2003, 06:45 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (phalx)

If you want to keep your subs, and have a good handeling car, try getting/putting subs in a truck box. I have two 12 inch JL's in a standard full size box that I use as a fish tank stand at the moment, because I put in 2, 10 inch subs in truck boxes that weigh atleast 3/4 less than the full size box, and still bump pretty loud. They weigh under 35lbs for the 2 subs, and the amp, which is not bad, and conserves on space at the same time.

just an idea
That is a sweet idea. By the way, a rear strut brace/bar isn't going to be the difference between night and day that you're looking for. Once you do LCA's, tiebars, swaybars and brakes, you won't even notice the strut brace in the rear. If it still means that much to you, make one that doesn't cut right across the space of the hatch. It's not rocket science...in fact, there are some how-to's on this very site.

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heh, i'm a fan of my 8in powered bazooka tube. Just get nice speakers front and rear, then add the tube. Reasonable amount of base for the size of the car. Then take it out for track times, takes 2 seconds. Of course a sub box with amp mounted to it is just as easy....
Old 04-08-2003, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (splitime)

i have 1 12" sub and a rear strut bar...my spare tire is out so it fits right down in there...amp is hidden somewhere else though
Old 04-08-2003, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's my 2 10"s, my friend made the box to fit underneath the strut bar.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (jg)

Old 04-08-2003, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (JdmTeg98R)

Have you thought about putting them in the rear tire well?

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7165/how_to_1.htm

That link only shows how to make it for one sub though, you might be able to squeeze 2 in there. I'm not sure. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2003, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (EX R8ED)

I have a friend lay on the floor and hits a bass drum!

I have vega 6.5 all the way around(4) and it sounds good. It will not be in any rap videos but I like it. I did db drag for 2 years(2 12's 148.2 db's. microphone on the dash, no outlaw crap) so I guess I am sick of bass. Every once in awhile I will listen to the Bass Mechanic 5.0 and look back foundly.

[Modified by mattcxb18, 12:31 AM 4/9/2003]
Old 04-08-2003, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (JdmTeg98R)

a hatches duty is to be stripped and driven very fast, get a daily driver for your stereo
Old 04-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (euclid)

that cluster for the autometer gauges looks amazing...very nice work
Old 04-08-2003, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (euclid)

wow, thats a nice setup... i love the amber!! sweet
Old 04-08-2003, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (BauleyCivic)

that cluster for the autometer gauges looks amazing...very nice work
Old 04-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a hatches duty is to be stripped and driven very fast, get a daily driver for your stereo
HAHAHAHA....

That is the current state of my hatch... and I am a former stereo installer/enthusiast.

That 0.1 loss from a system goes up quickly... a hatch's strength is in it's weight... any excess weight will show itself quickly and turn you into a coupe...lol

For a decent stereo and low weight... I have my own planned to go in sometime (after turbo...heh heh):

1 small 4 channel amp (small=lower output). Use only high quality components so you can make use of all the power.

Front speaks of your choice

1 8" bazooka (non amplified, IMO, the amp'd SAS doesn't have the cojones to drop) OR 1 6" non amp'd bazooka... less bass, less weight.

It's small, light and halfway decent in a hatch.

X2
Old 04-09-2003, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (X2BOARD)

well i currently drive a crx so i know the weight part, however it's not really that noticible when i take out my subs, i can tell but it is much better to have them in and enjoy my music than to take them out and just get a little bit better driving feel. and about putting them in the spare tire well or putting them facing up, doesn't that take away from part of the sound, i always heard it was best to face them away from you, also how much room is there inbetween your strut bar and the back part of the hatch, you think it would be possible to fit a sub in a custom box?
Old 04-09-2003, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i set up a quick release setup for my car, amps and subs could be removed in about 3 minuets and installed in about 5.

here was the setup when i had the car.

herers all the removable stuff for security.

i loved that system, 2 RF HE2 10"s and a 500.2, 200.4 for the doors. was a perfect balance.

god i miss a nice stereo...
Old 04-09-2003, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (Kamin)

Every once in awhile I will listen to the Bass Mechanic 5.0 and look back foundly.
The good old days

god i miss a nice stereo...
Old 04-09-2003, 02:45 AM
jg
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (BauleyCivic)

Thanks. Aluminum sheet from the local hardware store cut out with a hole saw.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (jg)

Your best bet would probably be a spare tire well enclosure. They are generally lighter than MDF and they will keep the weight lower. If your really serious, you can find a nice 5 channel amp, but one with enough power for your subs will cost a grip.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (t0p_sh0tta)

just get a tube, they are light and easy to remove when u wanna save some weight.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (sohc_boy)

I am trying to find the US optional rear speakers for hatches so I can put some good 6.5 in the rear and decent deck and call it a day. It shouldn't be all that much in weight and it will look clean.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (Apex i ITR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apex i ITR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am trying to find the US optional rear speakers for hatches so I can put some good 6.5 in the rear and decent deck and call it a day. It shouldn't be all that much in weight and it will look clean.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn, and I just got rid of mine when they junked it. I coudln't get them out, even though I knew what they were worth.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do? (Apex i ITR)

Hurell, what do the US optional speakers look like. I might be of some help since I work at a strereo shop.

Quick Reply: Hatch owners who like performance driving and nice stereo. what to do?