Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Has anyone seen or tried a complete ebay build?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone seen or tried a complete ebay build?

Just talking in hypotheticals here but has anyone seen or tried a complete ebay build. By that I mean sourcing everything possible through ebay. I know it may seem like a stupid idea but I'm just curious
Old 10-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: complete ebay car?

hhahahha well ebay has cheap and some good parts. so be interested built
Old 10-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your most likely going to get bashed on this idea. But i have thought about this before aswell. Some of the suspension components on ebay i wouldn't trust but the turbo kits and some of the engine components are just too cheap to pass up. I always wanted to do an ebay turbo'd d16y7 on my $300 civic for ***** and gigs. Give it a shot!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by based13
Just talking in hypotheticals here but has anyone seen or tried a complete ebay build. By that I mean sourcing everything possible through ebay. I know it may seem like a stupid idea but I'm just curious
the issue is when it comes to parts that are there to prevent castastrophe. such as a wastegate, oil lines, and turbo controller. i bought an ebay kit but there are things that should not be tested on your daily lol
Old 10-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Why would you want to?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:54 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Still waiting for a tech question.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Still waiting for a tech question.
wouldnt the tech question be wether the car is reliable as a full on ebay build? answer is still no btw lol
Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Why would you want to?
cus its cheap as hell thats why! lol 700for a full turbo kit vs. ~2000 only issue is wether itd hold up and if it does hold up... for how long?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why would I want to? Why do dogs lick their nuts...cud they can.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Plus a full ebay build will provide people insight as to what works and what doesn't. Would be cool if I could get ebay to sponsor it but I doubt that is even possible
Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just because you buy it from ebay doesn't mean it doesn't come from a legit company or private seller. But in reference to the turbo kit you have a 50/50 shot of it lasting. if it works you save $1300. If it doesn't and you have to rebuild your engine and get a new turbo kit you just lost $3,000. Not exact numbers obviously but you get the point. Oh and since you're talking whats cheapest. peace together a kit from people on cl,ht,d-series,b20v you have a cheaper better kit then ebay.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EFinAwesome
Just because you buy it from ebay doesn't mean it doesn't come from a legit company or private seller. But in reference to the turbo kit you have a 50/50 shot of it lasting. if it works you save $1300. If it doesn't and you have to rebuild your engine and get a new turbo kit you just lost $3,000. Not exact numbers obviously but you get the point. Oh and since you're talking whats cheapest. peace together a kit from people on cl,ht,d-series,b20v you have a cheaper better kit then ebay.
i see your point cus ive bought brand parts off of ebay but hes reffering to something like the kit. something like my turbo which is emusa. those chinese ebay brands that are a crapshoot. its just not likely for anyone that cares about their car at all to do an ALL ebay build, due to the obvious point that it will most likely fail at the core pieces.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Has anyone seen or tried a complete ebay build?

Yes it's been done MANY times. Some eBay parts hold up, some don't. Figure about a 50/50 for the off brand sh*t. Also the quality on the off brand stuff won't benefit you as much compared to companies who actually invest lots of time and money into their products. Go for it though. Expect to be replacing a lot of parts. I've read builds where people have done eBay builds and been just fine though. It's a crapshoot.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by 98.4DR.EK.D16
cus its cheap as hell thats why! lol 700for a full turbo kit vs. ~2000 only issue is wether itd hold up and if it does hold up... for how long?
You already know it wont. There is a reason why turbo's cost $500+

I've seen ebay turbo's fail within months. One actualy took the motor with it.

Granted, yeah not everything from ebay is crap. It's a great place, IF you know what your looking for. there are far too many people selling knock off **** that look exactly like the real thing.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sure you pry could do the entire car from ebay. if you looked around you could find all brand name. but it probably wouldn't be much cheaper.

if you went full no name ebay you'd spend more money in fixing parts to fit right then you did initially buying said parts.

as to sponsor from ebay you could but not like that because its not actually from ebay. ebays just the middle man.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Things that are usually quality well worthwhile eBay parts:
Intercooler
Log manifold
Charge piping from certain sellers
Oil lines
Downpipes

The rest of it will be hit or miss.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha I just opened this month super street and they have an ebay sponsored all ebay built 911 go figure
Old 11-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You know what they say about a fool and his money.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a eg6 and i bought the the mugen style lip for it and its worth it because rather than buying the real thing and end up breaking it becaus i live in a city with the worst roads possible.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People will give mixed opinions on ebay stuff. i personally got alot of my rebuild parts off ebay but a majority are not just "knock off" replacements.The majority were performance parts (forged rods, vitara low comp pistons etc.).As far as just generic, im running an ebay oil pump, water pump, timing belt and complete engine gasket set (even the HG coated with copper spray) although i will be replacing the Head Gasket soon its just to get me by for a little while i rebuild another head to swap on. I even have an ebay tubro with a few thousand miles on it

When it comes down to it , its a personal choice what to do. Some stuff is good, some is 50/50.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Element3488
People will give mixed opinions on ebay stuff. i personally got alot of my rebuild parts off ebay but a majority are not just "knock off" replacements.The majority were performance parts (forged rods, vitara low comp pistons etc.).As far as just generic, im running an ebay oil pump, water pump, timing belt and complete engine gasket set (even the HG coated with copper spray) although i will be replacing the Head Gasket soon its just to get me by for a little while i rebuild another head to swap on. I even have an ebay tubro with a few thousand miles on it

When it comes down to it , its a personal choice what to do. Some stuff is good, some is 50/50.
Do yourself a huge favor, STAY OEM for your headgasket and oil pump. You can get away with aftermarket water pump, timing belt but I'd still highly recommend buying those parts OEM.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ebay is not a brand name. Title should be rename to "Has anyone seen or tried a complete Chinese knock off build?"
Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by 94preludeguy
Do yourself a huge favor, STAY OEM for your headgasket and oil pump. You can get away with aftermarket water pump, timing belt but I'd still highly recommend buying those parts OEM.
sometimes you can get a way, but I would still reccomend OEM water pumps.

I had one that started to leak out of the weeping hole, and one of my firneds had one just stops spinning one day.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not try a partial eBay build? So get the parts that people have mentioned above like manifold and intercooler but then use slightly used OEM parts like a Mitsubishi Turbo or something? Seems you would want the main parts to be of proven reliability but for supporting parts I don't see why generic eBay parts couldn't work.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by superbike81
Why not try a partial eBay build? So get the parts that people have mentioned above like manifold and intercooler but then use slightly used OEM parts like a Mitsubishi Turbo or something? Seems you would want the main parts to be of proven reliability but for supporting parts I don't see why generic eBay parts couldn't work.
thats the best way. the key is to researching what you can get away with and what you will pay for in the future

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen or tried a complete ebay build?