Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

harness illegal on streets?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default harness illegal on streets?

sorry i didnt kno where to put this question and i was in a hurry to find the answer to this question. i just heard that wearing a harness is illegal on the streets. is this true?? if it is, i have no idea where ive been! ive been wearing a harness since forever and never gotten pulled over. somebody please confirm or deny this.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: harness illegal on streets? (mr abstract)

Its hard to give you a concrete answer.

It will vary from state to state, hell, maybe even county to county.

Not all the laws are the same everywhere.

Your in cali right, I was ASSume that they are definitely illegal cause they don't let anything go there. One thing is it would have to be sfi approved or whatever. One of those egay harnesses are definitely not legal.

I live in FLA, goo ol' boys here don't care about much car wise........

oh yea....cause someone will say it.....in a rollover in a car without a roll cage the harness will keep you sitting straight up, if the roof caves in it can break your spine/neck.

Just thought I'd put that out there....I'm guilty as well......harnesses and no cage.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:55 AM
I Deliver

I have RCI harness's, last time I checked they were legal where im from. In cali I think (don't quote me) the harnesses have to be retractable like the stock ones. There is a company (forgot the name) that makes em but they cost a grip.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:56 AM

Default Re: harness illegal on streets? (mike1114)

haha thanks man. yea, we cant get away with **** in cali. i just bought a new sparco 4pt so its fia approved. can anyone give me a concrete answer for cali? thanks.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: harness illegal on streets? (mike1114)

I don't know how you guys daily drive with harnesses.

I have a 6 point that I use for autocross, and it's a pain to get in and out of. Plus all those 3" straps restrict me from even leaning over to open the glovebox.

As far as being illegal. They probably are, but the chances of you getting in trouble for having one are slim. But, they are dangerous. I'd be more concerned about getting injured in an accident than if they are legal or not.

Just take them out and use them on the track where they were meant to be used.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Re: harness illegal on streets? (EJ1 wilcox)

i dont get how theyre more dangerous than seatbelts. dangerous meaning like if the cars on fire and you gotta get out quick? they seem more safe but then again i dunno, ive never been in an accident with a harness on. and i dont plan on being in one
Old 09-27-2006, 11:07 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mr abstract &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont get how theyre more dangerous than seatbelts. dangerous meaning like if the cars on fire and you gotta get out quick? they seem more safe but then again i dunno, ive never been in an accident with a harness on. and i dont plan on being in one </TD></TR></TABLE>

They're dangerous because they restrict the ability to get out of your seat quickly, and because in a roll-over crash, they hold you in place while the celing will cave in and compress your spinal column, killing you instantly. 3-point ARS seatbelts let you slide out of your seat if the car turns over. That's why harness without a roll bar or cage are retarded. And as far as you don't plan on being in one .... good thinking, chief. The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

/thread.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:12 AM
I Deliver

Stock honda belts are more than good enough street crashes. T-boned a k1500 pickup that ran a red at 65 all I had was a broken collar bone and a big *** settlement, engine came through the dash on fire.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:12 AM

Default Re: (B2CivMan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B2CivMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have RCI harness's, last time I checked they were legal where im from. In cali I think (don't quote me) the harnesses have to be retractable like the stock ones. There is a company (forgot the name) that makes em but they cost a grip.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The company that makes the retractable ones is Schroth (they arent to to expensive) i think the install will be the biggets pain in the ***...i have bought some just havent gotten the time to putting in the cage and installing the belts.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: harness illegal on streets? (Eran)

They are also dangerous because 99% of the time they are improperly installed.

Many times the shoulder belts are not mounted to a roll bar like they should be. If they are mounted below your shoulders, then any frontal impact accident would cause spinal compression.

Think about it, you are in a harness that has the shoulder belts mounted to the rear, you are in a frontal accident, as your body goes forward, your shoulders are pulled down and your spine is compressed = very bad.

There are already tons of articles outlining how dangerous harnesses are on the streets so I won't go into them. I dare you to ask this question in the road racing forum. lol. You will get ripped apart.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:17 AM
HT White Ops

Yep. They need to be mounted at a 45-degree angle or higher, and have a supplemental harness bar to take the force.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:18 AM

yea, i have a half cage in my car and i was told to put the harness to the cross bar. they said its good enough for road racing. i jsut didnt see the diff between road racing and street driving. thanks tho.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:24 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mr abstract &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i jsut didnt see the diff between road racing and street driving. thanks tho.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well for starters no speed limit, cops, animals crossing the road, padestrians, stop signs, stop light, double yellow lines, pot holes, traffic....those are just a few of the differences however the world is my race track so rock on if you have a roll bar and the harness is installed to specs go for it.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:36 AM

Default Re: harness illegal on streets? (B16b-EJ8)

what i meant was the difference in safety. i mean why is it a good idea to wear a harness for road racing/xc and not regualr street driving? you can still flip the car over in road racing, its probably easier than regualr street driving. you can still slam into some ones rear. you know? anyways..screw it, haha ill probably put the seatbelt back in for street driving.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:38 AM
HT White Ops

You're far more likely to be hit in normal traffic than in a road race, even if it's a mulit-car race.

People in normal traffic = RETARDED.

And if your car is lowered and has good suspension, then you have to expletive up BAD to roll over in a road race.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:43 AM

Default Re: harness illegal on streets? (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
People in normal traffic = RETARDED.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha i like that
Old 09-27-2006, 11:50 AM
a/k/a Jomo

In a road race, you have a full roll cage in the car for one and all the proper safety gear on. Helmet, suit, gloves, boots, undergarment plus fire protection etc...

There is also a million times greater chance of you getting into an accident on the street then on a road course. Everyone is properly trained and licensed. They are 100% focused on the task at hand, everyone is going the same direction and to the same place with little to no distractions. Now the animal thing might be different on the west coast, but out here on the east we definitely dodge all kinds of critters. From the easy to navigate bunny rabbit to full grown white tail's!
Old 09-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to drive on CA public street/highways in cali, they will need be DOT approved and marked on the harness...
Old 09-27-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Re: (Del Sol SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del Sol SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to drive on CA public street/highways in cali, they will need be DOT approved and marked on the harness...</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha thanks man, that was exactly what i was looking for
Old 09-27-2006, 01:48 PM

Default Re: (mr abstract)

Yeah i know what you were getting at...just thought a little humor to the thread would be good....and as far as i know the Schroth harness compnay is going to be your best bet for a DOT approved harness...i did lots of research on this one a while back and ended up with the Schroth.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope you get rear ended while wearing your harness.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:25 PM
i ♥ snails

If you just have harness's like said without a harness bar or cage its dangerous because they put the pressure on the wrong parts of ur body. Like stated earlier spinal damage. the only way id have harnesses is with a cage. No point without one.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hope you get rear ended while wearing your harness.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn ruthless
Old 09-27-2006, 06:46 PM

Default Re: (B2CivMan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B2CivMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stock honda belts are more than good enough street crashes. T-boned a k1500 pickup that ran a red at 65 all I had was a broken collar bone and a big *** settlement, engine came through the dash on fire.</TD></TR></TABLE>

glad you're still alive
Old 09-27-2006, 07:35 PM

off-topic but their was a news report a while back about cracking down on street racers and modified vehicles and one cop said that if you have a harness you probably street race...

Quick Reply: harness illegal on streets?