Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hard to explain sound? o.O

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to explain sound? o.O

Okay here's the deal. I've got my 95 civic ex around 96k miles. I'm at 115k now and I am noticing a strange sound. If I'm sitting in the car in neutral I hear almost like a super dry bearing sound, then the minute I push in the clutch the sound goes away. I'm not sure if this is tied with the same sound, but when I start to take off in first [but does it in any gear] driving normal speeds it sounds normal untill around 2-3k rpms and up and I hear almost the same bearing sound, or gears, but louder ...I really have no idea how to explain the sound lol. If it was gears I'm pretty sure it would sound like when you have a bad clutch and you try to go into reverse and it doesnt engage all the way, that nasty sound...well it's not THAT kinda grinding sound. hmm I just remembered the guy telling me before he sold me the car that he replaced a front wheel bearing, would a bad bearing make that sound maybe? Well besides me just remembering that as I'm typing this a couple people told me it's the clutch pilot bearing, and it seemed like a reasonable answer to me. I figured the old guy I bought it off of probably never replaced the original clutch. So I went out and bought just a budget excedy clutch, went ahead and installed it using the Haynes repair manual, and someone who's replaced a clutch before on a civic. Now I get into my car HOPING that that would of solved the problem, well the car ran NICE with the new clutch...but after around 2k rpms I starting hearing that sound again!! so it's definitely not the pilot bearing. I'm really stumped

So if I'm in the car in neutral, hearing the strange sound, I push in the clutch, the sound goes away. <--- definitely a different problem then if I have a bad wheel bearing cuz im not moving.

So maybe I have two problems :/
You may have also seen me post this on another forum aswell
Old 07-02-2006, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Hard to explain sound? o.O (k00kaine)

Haynes repair manual under the category - Noisy in all gears:

1. Insufficient Lubricant
2. Damaged or worn bearings.
3. worn or damaged input gear shaft and/or output gear shaft.

They all seem reasonable but has anybody else had to replace theirs for same symptoms I'm having?
Old 07-02-2006, 01:00 AM

Maybe its the pilot bushing or the throw out bearing?
Old 07-02-2006, 01:13 AM

its one of your clutch components.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:17 AM

throw out bearing
Old 07-02-2006, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slackura &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">throw out bearing</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds odd...he should have replaced the throwout bearing with the clutchkit...

Sounds like a tranny part tho..something that spins freely all the time (neutral) but don't hear it until later RPM's...sounds like it's possible there's something wrong with the output shaft.. I would say throwout bearing but that's a very distinct sound ("the throwout bearing noise" - dunno anybody that hasn't heard it before and know what immediately what it is) but like I said, he should have replaced that w/ the clutch :-\
Old 07-02-2006, 08:51 AM

Yeah I replaced the bearing also cuz it came with the kit ahah man this sucks...i have a feeling it's gonna be expensive )
Old 07-02-2006, 08:56 AM

I happen to think it's a tranny part also -_-
Old 07-02-2006, 08:56 AM

And that sitting in neutral, pushing in the clutch and the sound goes away is a different problem I think :/
Old 07-03-2006, 05:50 PM

**UPDATE**

I took it down to a local auto shop near my house, told him that i got a clutch kit and replaced everything. Basically he said that It's just not on straight, thats why it's making that sound. He said I can unbolt the tranny bolts and slide the tranny off without having to drop it all th way out, stick the pilot tool into it, loosen the pressure plate bolts make sure everythings straight and lined up and tighten them back down to torque specs with the tool still in there, then go ahead remove the pilot tool, bolt the transmission back up to the block.

Does this sound like a logical answer? does to me because i remember using the pilot tool, but when I was torquing them down i removed the tool sleep.gif. so i'm thinking when i was doing the tourquing it might of shifted slightlighty and caused it not to go on straight.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (k00kaine)

i had the same problem. i took my car to 3 mechanics. they all told me the same thing. it's the tranny and i could ether rebuild mine or buy a new one. i bought a new tranny, and it fixed the problem. goodluck.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:52 PM

hmm..how much did you spend for a new tranny?? o.O
Old 07-03-2006, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is definatly the input shaft bearing...i let it go as long as i could and it ended up tearing the seal next to my engine causing oil to spray all over my clutch. After we pulled out the old tranny we wiggled the input shaft and it had a good 1/4" of play which was probally what all the noise was. I would say either go to the junkyard and pick up a new tranny or replace the input shaft bearing
Old 07-03-2006, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k00kaine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm..how much did you spend for a new tranny?? o.O</TD></TR></TABLE>
i paid $700 from attarco.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:56 AM

mhmmm i have the same problem and they said it was the throw out bearing... said it should be fine unless u try to shift uber fast then u may grind into gears...
Old 07-04-2006, 01:28 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (Rubixcu7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rubixcu7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mhmmm i have the same problem and they said it was the throw out bearing... said it should be fine unless u try to shift uber fast then u may grind into gears...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, mine is "fine" too until I pulled the thing out and this is what I found

Old 07-04-2006, 09:15 AM

wow, yeah I plan on checking it out this weekend. I really hope I dont have to buy a transmission. I actually bought the clutch because of this sound thinking it was the throwout bearing. I hope it's just not aligned right. It's a bummer when you wash your car and take supre good care of your car all the time and stuff like this happens.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:37 AM

Input Shaft Bearing - or else pick up a used DX tranny for $50. don't buy no new/rebuilt ****.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:18 PM

driving today I found out an easy way to get the sound. I'm not with it working 'properly' if it makes somewhat of the same noise, just quieter....but when I down shift it TOTALLY sounds like a super dry bearing sound and pretty loud, im not sure if the actual transmission gears would sound like that or not. But eventhough it's a new pilot bearing, im gonna buy one, try to re-align the clutch make sure it's straight. Some people mentioned inputshaft bearing, im not sure if thats the same thing or not

Oh, and is the input shaft bearing the same thing as pilot bearing? or am I completely wrong.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:21 AM
NASIOC.com

not to be mean or anything, but would your rather take the time to do it right or just expletive around with it? Take your tranny off, Inspect it, make sure that everything is STRIGHT, **** make a new thread with pictures of it and have US do the visual... I mean honestly, I would get a new clutch kit and just replace everything...
Old 07-07-2006, 05:45 PM

I went to the auto store to purchase a throwout bearing, I was always told throwout bearing is also called pilot bearing sometimes...so I told him I wanted a pilot bearing he came back to me with something that looked like a skateboard bearing..... So I then told him I need a throwout bearing ...Should I also buy the pilot bearing? i'm not even sure where it goes I couldnt find anything about it in my haynes book. It says online that they usually dont require maintenance, but if im gonna take this stuff apart i definitely dont want to do it a third time in a month.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, mine is "fine" too until I pulled the thing out and this is what I found
[imghttp://www.jansplacetoputstuff.com/stuff/pics/throwout1.jpg[/img]
[imghttp://www.jansplacetoputstuff.com/stuff/pics/throwout2.jpg[/img]</TD></TR></TABLE>

NICE! lol
This thread makes me wonder about my own clutch. hmm...
Old 07-07-2006, 06:10 PM

bump
Old 07-07-2006, 06:21 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k00kaine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I went to the auto store to purchase a throwout bearing, I was always told throwout bearing is also called pilot bearing sometimes...so I told him I wanted a pilot bearing he came back to me with something that looked like a skateboard bearing..... So I then told him I need a throwout bearing ...Should I also buy the pilot bearing? i'm not even sure where it goes I couldnt find anything about it in my haynes book. It says online that they usually dont require maintenance, but if im gonna take this stuff apart i definitely dont want to do it a third time in a month.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Two totally different bearings. Throwout is what your pressure plate fingers ride on when you push in the clutch. Pilot bearing is actually in the flywheel and holds the end of the shaft from your tranny.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:59 PM

I've been having a similar problem with my 1998 Honda Civic DX - I just bought it and its developed a sound similar to what you described, only the sound happens at low revs just as much as high revs. The sound only goes away completely when the clutch is completely pressed in.

I made a recording of it but I can't figure out how to post it. Let me know if you want to listen to it.

-Spence

Quick Reply: Hard to explain sound? o.O