Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hard driving. Longtime effect?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard driving. Longtime effect?

Okay so Im 16 and I just got a Acura Cl 2.2, and I drive, well I guess you could say CRAZY(but safe). Anyways, my question is-
1. I floor it Alot, will this have any effect on my car?
2. I also take fast, tight turns, will this effect anything?

TY in advance!
Old 12-26-2006, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hard driving. Longtime effect? (Cluser)

The way you treat your car has almost everything to do with how long it will last. If you beat on it all the time it wont stand up to it. The car wasn't built to handle that all the time.

Take my advice and slow down. Especially since you are 16. You can't safely drive fast with the experience that you have. You will wreck it or blow it up pretty quick if you keep that up.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Hard driving. Longtime effect? (JDM-97CX)

Well, its not a stick, so I cant redline, so its not like im going to blow the engine.

Ill take like a 90 degree turn at 40, is that to fast?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cluser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, its not a stick, so I cant redline, so its not like im going to blow the engine.

Ill take like a 90 degree turn at 40, is that to fast?</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha, take a corner in whatever speed that you won't spill ur drink, or ur passengers won't spill their drink all over themselves and bitch at u
Old 12-26-2006, 06:51 PM

just tell me when you will be driving so i can get the helll off the road
Old 12-26-2006, 06:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cluser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, its not a stick, so I cant redline, so its not like im going to blow the engine.

You don't need to red line an engine to damage it. Hard driving causes heat. High heat causes high friction. High friction causes more rapid wear.

As for your 90 degree turn at 40, if you did that and hit my truck, because you obviously have no clue how to handle your car, you wouldn't make it home to tell mommy and daddy what you just did.

It is brats like you that wrecked my BMW. You hit the wrong person (i.e. some one like me) and you wont have money and neither will your parents for a very long time.

Slow down, you are not a race car driver, your 2.2cl is not a race car. You CAN'T handle high speed driving. Stop trying to impress people before you ruin your own or worse yet some one else's life.

You continue to drive the way you are and your car will be wrecked or not running before the end of 2007, mark my words, it will probably be sooner than that.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Hard driving. Longtime effect? (byronl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by byronl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hahaha, take a corner in whatever speed that you won't spill ur drink, or ur passengers won't spill their drink all over themselves and bitch at u</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was hit by a drunk driver once. Then I got a nice retirement account set up shortly there after. Funny how that worked. It will screw you.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in for the "i just totaled my car" thread.

*waits*

and this is why i hate some new drivers.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Hard driving. Longtime effect? (Turbo_y8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo_y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in for the "i just totaled my car" thread.

*waits*

and this is why i hate some all new drivers. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-26-2006, 06:59 PM

............well thanx for the advice JDM-97CX, ill take it into consideration.

I obviously need to have more experience before I hurt someone or myself.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and secondly thisis a cl thread, its a honda civic, why dont you take this to the Acura TL/RL and other models threads. save us time in the future from reading a IQ lowering thread.

https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum/17
Old 12-26-2006, 07:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cluser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">............well thanx for the advice JDM-97CX, ill take it into consideration.

I obviously need to have more experience before I hurt someone or myself.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good call. As sarcastic as it most likely is. See you on the Darwin awards for '07.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Your the reason my,(and other kids) insurance is so high.
Theres no need to drive fast on public streets.
I take it you like taking turns? Go sign up at your local autox, its a fun and safe way to learn your cars limits.

Honestly no sarcasm was meant.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good call. As sarcastic as it most likely is. See you on the Darwin awards for '07. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a relatively COMPLETELY ridiculous question.

I've got some turns over by me that are 90 deg that you can take at 55 mph with nothing but a little understeer. I also have 90 deg turns over here that because of road-width, if you don't take at &lt; 30mph, you WILL be off the road.

So it matters a lot on the road, composition of the road, lane width, road width, total diameter, etc.

With that said.

As the first person said, the way you treat your car is almost a direct correlation with how long it will last. True, a ford won't generally outlast a honda as to why I say "almost" instead of "is."

Flooring it a lot has negative effects on your car, it beats on your motor mounts, and if you have an automatic tranny, puts extra stress on your tranny (with a manual you can regulate it, but it still puts stress on it - though not as much by a longshot).

Assuming you're using the stock suspension, it's extra stress on the shocks/springs. It's also extra stress on the arms regardless.

No matter what you do it's extended stress - it's just up to how aftermarket (or lack there of) parts can take care of the punishment or not.

It won't last long though. Not because the parts can't handle it - because you think you're god behind the wheel of the car and you'll end up throwing it off the road.

Oh, don't bother telling me you won't, not in the mood to enforce the truth - 'tis why insurance ratings for kids your age are as high as they are.

Don't worry about it - continue on the path you're on - either you'll expletive something up or you'll crash - the crash'll happen first though, and it WILL happen. Or you'll have an epiphany after a close call and stop driving like it's an autocross event. Either way everything'll probably be peachy unless you smack another driver.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas btw.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not all new drivers drive crazy and irresponsible.

i gave them the benifit of the doubt and some
Old 12-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hard driving. Longtime effect? (del sol1658)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by del sol1658 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your the reason my,(and other kids) insurance is so high.
Theres no need to drive fast on public streets.
I take it you like taking turns? Go sign up at your local autox, its a fun and safe way to learn your cars limits.</TD></TR></TABLE>

$1500 every 6 months at 20
Old 12-26-2006, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Hard driving. Longtime effect? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> True, a ford won't generally outlast a honda as to why I say "almost" instead of "is." </TD></TR></TABLE>

That statistic is the fault of the consumer. More new honda owners do their maintenance more regularly and more on schedule than almost any other new car owner. If taken care of any car can last forever.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by byronl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

$1500 every 6 months at 20 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn i dont even pay that for my 2 vehicles!! Do you have a F'd record?
Old 12-26-2006, 07:07 PM

$1500 every 6 months at 20 </TD></TR></TABLE>

What the hell did you do?

I'm 20, drive a $50,000 truck and my full coverage insurance in an expensive no-fault state with a $250 deductible is $113 a month. Me thinky you makey mistakey.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo_y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Damn i dont even pay that for my 2 vehicles!! Do you have a F'd record?</TD></TR></TABLE>

clean record, no accidents, tickets, nothin. Actually that was my quote from esurance in cali
Old 12-26-2006, 07:10 PM

clean record, no accidents, tickets, nothin. Actually that was my quote from esurance in cali</TD></TR></TABLE>

For what? An Enzo? Some one made a mistake somewhere down the line because if you do in fact have a clean record you should have cheaper insurance than me considering you drive a Honda and I drive a Lincoln. lol
Old 12-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That statistic is the fault of the consumer. More new honda owners do their maintenance more regularly and more on schedule than almost any other new car owner. If taken care of any car can last forever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True as it is that any car can last forever, it's more of a decision as to when you decide to pass the car on that it's dead, at least 9 times out of 10.

That statistic isn't only at fault of the consumer.

A few of my friends have the new mustangs, some V8's, some V6's.

They're pieces of **** in my humble opinion, and you're talking to a long time domestics &gt;&gt;&gt; imports guy.

They're pieces of **** and cheaply assembled. Now the civics aren't made much better but assuming one person drives a mustang and one drives a civic and they take care of them both the same and drive them both the same, the driver WILL put more money into the mustang.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo_y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Damn i dont even pay that for my 2 vehicles!! Do you have a F'd record?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's normal for his age, give him an "at fault" accident and he'll be riding 1800-1900 or so / 6 - then things get really interesting.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hard driving. Longtime effect? (Syndacate)

im 20 and have a 2 tickets and dont pay that much.

i hope they gave you complementary KY jelly when they bent you over
Old 12-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo_y8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im 20 and have a 2 tickets and dont pay that much.

i hope they gave you complementary KY jelly when they bent you over </TD></TR></TABLE>

*sigh*

Get off it - it's 100% normal for now, in his state, at his age, and his car.

Your insurance drops as you age, though you really don't get a big knock-off until you get to 21.

Quick Reply: Hard driving. Longtime effect?