Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HALP! car dying (replace alt and battery already)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HALP! car dying (replace alt and battery already)

<U>UPDATE 03/12/08</U>
i have checked every single fuse in the car. all the plugs, changed all the grounds, changed the alternator, changed the battery...... i even checked the honda TSB for the behind manifold wire harness.......
the battery is really weak now, i use the booster to start the car up, it runs for a while but as soon as i put the lights on it dies. here is something that might be the cause: WOULD A SHORT IN THE CLIMATE CONTROL HARNESS CAUSE THIS PROBLEM? the reason im asking is the fact that when i bought the car, the climate control wasnt bolted down and it used to jump around all the time. maybe one of the wires in on the plug has been jumping around got cut and cause a short? also THERE IS A CLICKING NOICE EVERYTIME I PUT THE REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER ON and few days ago when i put the heat on, when i would blast it all the way THE RELAY WOULD MAKE A CLICK???? also COULD THIS BE CAUSE BY THE ELD? SINCE IT DOESNT TELL THE ALTERNATOR WHEN TO BOOST UP THE VOLTAGE please guys just keep this thread bumped so i can figure this crap out. thanks alot

.................................................. .................................................. ...................
<U>UPDATE:</U>
after replacing everything im still having problems. i just drove to school and the battery is dead. there is something wierd tho, ever since this problem occured, everytime i put the defroster for the rear window on i hear a clicking sound coming from the fusebox area?????!!!! what could that be? and also when i put the heat all the way, the main relay makes a clicking sound as well. please help me guys
.................................................. .................................................. ...................

hey guys, this is a 99 civic AUtomatic. i was driving the othern ight and the lights started getting dimmer and the gauges stop working. so i figure the alternator stopped working. i get home and replace botht the battery and alternator. go for a drive and after about 45 same thing starts to happen. i checked all the grounds so my next guess is the Main relay? any inputs will be well appericiated
thanks in advance

Modified by Evil Smile at 9:46 AM 3/10/2008

Modified by Evil Smile at 9:46 AM 3/10/2008

Modified by Evil Smile at 1:03 PM 3/13/2008

Modified by Evil Smile at 1:05 PM 3/13/2008
Old 03-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HALP! car dying (Evil Smile)

BUMP, please some one!
Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can someone please help me?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does the car completely die?
Old 03-02-2008, 08:15 PM

CEL? check all the fuse before do anything
Old 03-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (superchill27)

no cel, i will check the fuses tommorow morning. this happened out of nowhere so it might be a blown fuse! atleast thats what im hoping for!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Evil Smile)

GOD PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 03-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming you got a rebuilt alternator...so you might want to get the new alternator tested again...it sometimes takes two or three times to get a good one.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the voltage on your battery after your lights starts dimming again and see if it's holding it's voltage, should be a min of 12.4v, if not, since your alternator is brand new, clean the plug that connects to the alternator....c if that helps.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:15 AM

1st check battery 12.6v
2nd check charging system if its 13.5-14v its charging
if its under that. check all your fuses (drivers side) alt sp is 7.5 amp take a look at it closesly if it looks worn just replace it.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HALP! car dying (superchill27)

just checked the fuse box and looks like some of the fuses for the headlights are missing! wtf? why would this hit me out of nowhere? i drove this car to cali and back last month and everything was just fine
Old 03-04-2008, 06:31 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superchill27 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> check all your fuses (drivers side) alt sp is 7.5 amp
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats also the fuse for the ELD. That might be contributing to the problem as well.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:08 PM

test all the fuse (test light) look for the alt. sp 7.5 that for the alt. and i believe the vss

relax is not that big of a deal

if fuses are all good

alternator still not charging 13.5 and up

speedometer still not working

most likely vss and alternator is bad, but that very unlikely cause honda alternator are solid
Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

checked everything, all the fuses are good..... i looked at the grounds again, they are all in contact, but they look in terrible condition. they are all rusted up, there is even a blue algea growing in one of them!!!!!!!! im gonna replace them and see what happens
Old 03-05-2008, 11:00 PM

have you tested the battery alone and when the car is running?

since you already replaced both alternator and battery and fuses are with no CEL
sounds like vss GOOD LUCK
Old 03-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ist not the VSS, i mentioned the gauges stop working when the car is about to die (when the battery runs out of juice). ive switched two different batteries in and the same happened. ive checked
fuses
alternator
battery
grounds
and all the plugs to make sure they are correctly pluged in.
im really getting frustrated and i need to get the car running asap.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How about the wire going from the alt itself to the fusebox? How is the connection on both ends?
Also, did you re ground like i told you to? Sand down all connection points and put grounds to the tranny, valve cover and engine block. Using new wire not the old ****. Sand down the posts and the clamps that go to the posts on the battery.
And WTF is HALP? its help u iranian bastiddddd
Old 03-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HALP! car dying (m R g S r)

When I owned my prelude This happened to me a couple times but it turned out it was the connection from the battery to the alternator. If theres fuses missing in certain spots thats common don't get tripped up on that but you may want to start replacing all the fuses that are rusted and especially dump the one that has 'algae' growing on it. Everyone else is suggesting what we would do if we had the problem. Check all your grounds. That's major!!! Good luck
Old 03-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evil Smile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ist not the VSS, i mentioned the gauges stop working when the car is about to die (when the battery runs out of juice). ive switched two different batteries in and the same happened. ive checked
fuses
alternator
battery
grounds
and all the plugs to make sure they are correctly pluged in.
im really getting frustrated and i need to get the car running asap. </TD></TR></TABLE>

have you checked the wires running to the starter and the alternator. make sure they are not melted and/or touch metal, if so they can be grounding out not allowing your charge system to function properly.

also, i know someone mention here but have the alternator tested again. if all possible, just take it to a parts store. there they can test the alternator without having to remove it.

one more thing, did you replace the battery or did you have it charged?
Old 03-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

may have a bad ELD. when the car is acting up. check voltage at the alternator, battery, starter, fuses for the lights. you may have a short in your alternator wire. if you let the car run does it charge the battery? also you can pull the negative cable off the battery to see if your car will run just on the alternator when its running.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HALP! car dying (Snail Tuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Snail Tuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> also you can pull the negative cable off the battery to see if your car will run just on the alternator when its running. </TD></TR></TABLE>

this is a old trick theat does work, but i don't recommend it. doing this can cause a short and possibly ruin a perfectly good alternator.

OP, like i mentioned earlier, if the car can run, take it down to your local parts store and have them do a complete test on your car. this test will include the battery and the alternator.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HALP! car dying (philosofy1)

is the alt belt tight????
Old 03-07-2008, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HALP! car dying (DCSportEJ1Civic)

fuses... main relay .... fuel pump ... ?
Old 03-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HALP! car dying (vietelement)

thanks alot for all your inputs guys, im gonna go replace my ground wires right now and see how it goes

Quick Reply: HALP! car dying (replace alt and battery already)