Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

H22 into a civic EG

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 into a civic EG

Hi everbody,

Im from the Uk and Im putting a prelude H22 JDM engine into my EG civic, just have a couple of questions as i have heard this is a VERY good technical forum.

Just do do with manifolds and induction.

Will aftermarket manifolds made for H22s be ok for my conversion (eg ground clearance etc), and i getting an AEM v2, will i need to buy the prelude version or the civic version??

If anyone has done this swap on here before (which im hoping someone has) can they let me know so i can perhaps speak with them more??

Many thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:48 AM
NASIOC.com

Default Re: H22 into a civic EG (The Power Of Dreams)

The h22 swap should just drop in depending on the year of the motor... You just need mounts, axles and they do have a shifter kit which allows you put the shifter box in the exhaust tunnel so you dont have to cut anything for the cables
Old 12-20-2006, 05:09 AM

Default Re: H22 into a civic EG (Otherguy)

yeah i have the driveshafts, mounts and all i need, just wondering about manifolds and induction.

as the engine bay id defferent to what the parts are designed for need to know whether to buy civic manifolds or prelude manifolds/induction.

It a 1992 by the way, cheers
Old 12-20-2006, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just giving u some heads up i heard that this swap isnt good for hondas due to the size of the car the engine came out of and the size of the civic handling will surely lack so just a heads up if anyone heard different lemme no
Old 12-20-2006, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 into a civic EG (racing_reject_001)

The nose of the car will be slightly heavier with the heavier motor, but unless you're going to autocross or scca, it shouldn't be a big deal. Trading a tiny bit of handling for 200HP is a good deal

I would buy a civic intake since the prelude motor is going into a civic bay. The throttle body is still in the same area and the prelude's bay is diferent than the EG's.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Isn't there a lot of shaft binding issues associated with this swap?
Old 12-20-2006, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people make a big deal out of the extra weight in the front while being just tools hearing what other people said don't actually know anything about the handling.

You can definitely feel it in tight corners like an autocross track, but you can adjust for it - it's not like it's going to completely expletive your driving up. Just...different, got a little bit more understeer and such.

As for everyday driving, you won't have any problems unless the mounts are too far forward in which case you'll keep snapping axles, but with a pre-made mount kit you shouldn't have to worry about that.

As far as the manifolds go you can use both of them for the prelude, they should fit fine (should). As for ground clearance, that's just variable, won't be as much as a D series, but it's not like you'll be dragging it either.

I also HEARD though am NOT sure that you need to modify the flange on the end of the manifold piping to fit to the exhaust.

You also mention "AEM v2" in the same sentence as manifolds...that's not a manifold, that's a cold air intake.

As for cold air intakes, I'm not sure which one you have to buy for, I'd say buy for an EG, and it should still fit around it, though I'm not positive. Somebody else can help ya there.

Hope that helped, peace.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Otherguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The h22 swap should just drop in depending on the year of the motor... You just need mounts, axles and they do have a shifter kit which allows you put the shifter box in the exhaust tunnel so you dont have to cut anything for the cables</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, I knew that companies made axles and mounts 'n **** to put the H22 in the EG but this is the first I've ever heard of a shift linkage kit so you don't have to like, drill that big *** hole through the front and such...I'll have to look into that, cool.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

AEM makes a Hybrid Air Induction system for swapped motors. There is a CAI for the 'H' series in the EG. Theres a little bit more involved than what some have mentioned. Wiring in the knock sensor. Wiring in the resistor box for the injectors. Sacrificing A/C and P/S which isn't a big deal. Not having your car lowered more than 1.5" due to axle bind and downpipe clearance. I can tell you all of the do's and dont's in the field, just let me know. Trust me, I've had the H series swap for 3 years daily driven...actually I deliver pizzas in it. I rebuilt the engine once for performance reasons, and I will personally say, other than the K20 swap, this is the best motor swap for the EG.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (O RLY)

As for a good Intake Manifold...two choices.

http://www.blacktrax.net/btp_H22_IM.html

or

the EURO-R manifold that usually on eBay.
http://inlinefour.com/aceurinman.html

The Skunk2 manifold will NOT fit.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:13 AM

Default Re: (O RLY)

Thankyou for that, brilliant,

I should have been a little more specific, im talking about the outlet manifold.

thanks agin, u have all been a big help

If anyone has any other point they would like to make please feel free.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:14 AM

O RLY- I have tried to PM to chat about this swap but im not allowed to PM yet.

Would like you to let me know what the major problems of this swap are if there is any??

cheers
Old 12-20-2006, 08:32 AM

can anyone show me where they sell those shifter kit for a civic? because i have 93 civic coupe and i need shifter kit for it cuz im droppin a h22 in there. please help me that would be greatful.

[ps- i dont wanna drill a hole and all that other stuff... to much hassel lol
Old 12-20-2006, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmotorsonline.com or HASport.com
Old 12-20-2006, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (The Power Of Dreams)

If by outlet manifold you mean exhaust manifold, just keep it stock. The JDM H22 actually comes with a header, while the USDM is a shitty exhaust manifold.

Nothing major as far as problems. Just make sure you buy good mounts and use Loc-Tite when tightening the mount bolts, that way they don't shke themselves loose, as mine have done a few times. Don't be fooled by axles. They are the toughest part.

You need to read this VERY CAREFULLY...

For an EG you will need:

Driver side: 90-93 Integra Axle w/ Prelude inner CV. Reason being you need a female CV rather than the male CV that will come with a stock 90-93 Integra Axle.

Passenger Side: 90-93 Integra Axle w/ Prelude inner CV. This time, its not about male/female. Its about the lenght. The Integra CV doesn't extend long enough to allow the snapring to click into the differential, meaning your axle will be loose, causing major fluid loss. The Prelude CV is roughly 1/8" longer allowing it to snap into the transmission...

Good luck...
Old 12-20-2006, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 into a civic EG (1slwcoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1slwcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can anyone show me where they sell those shifter kit for a civic? because i have 93 civic coupe and i need shifter kit for it cuz im droppin a h22 in there. please help me that would be greatful.

[ps- i dont wanna drill a hole and all that other stuff... to much hassel lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need to drill a hole. There is not kit. Only alternative is to buy an H2B plate and run a GSR tranny. Sorry, this isn't a fun task either. Have a MIG welder handy.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a very good swap, a friend of mine had this swap done, pretty reliable....make sure you get as much advice as possible. Search next time, this has been covered...a lot
Old 12-20-2006, 09:39 AM

Default Re: H22 into a civic EG (Earthworm Jim)

In the end it should come out lookin like this:

a 92-96 Prelude intake works you might have to trim a lil off(about 3 inches from the bottom of the intake) to make it fit but it works. Hope this helps.

Nick
Old 12-20-2006, 11:11 AM

Default Re: H22 into a civic EG (Earthworm Jim)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by O RLY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need to drill a hole. There is not kit. Only alternative is to buy an H2B plate and run a GSR tranny. Sorry, this isn't a fun task either. Have a MIG welder handy.</TD></TR></TABLE>
so there is no way i can get a kit ???? basically i have to do it the hard way huh?

to much damn hassel for a swap lol

ps- so if the stock ones u have to trim 3inches... how much do i have to trim if its edelblock intake mani.?
Old 12-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 into a civic EG (1slwcoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1slwcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
so there is no way i can get a kit ???? basically i have to do it the hard way huh?

to much damn hassel for a swap lol

ps- so if the stock ones u have to trim 3inches... how much do i have to trim if its edelblock intake mani.?</TD></TR></TABLE>

More like doing it the ONLY way. Whoever told you there is a kit is dead wrong.

I didn't have to trim at all for my IM. There's still a good 2 inches in between the IM and firewall.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 into a civic EG (O RLY)

Not the best photo, but the only one I have as of right now. This is in my '94 EX with Yonaka mounts. IM isn't too close. I'll get another pic soon.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 into a civic EG (O RLY)

i'm using an ITR intake on my h22 eg. works perfect
Old 12-20-2006, 07:10 PM

Default Re: H22 into a civic EG (Braco11)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by O RLY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not the best photo, but the only one I have as of right now. This is in my '94 EX with Yonaka mounts. IM isn't too close. I'll get another pic soon.</TD></TR></TABLE>
cool
nice pic also. so thats the only way i guess lol. to much money for me though lol.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:27 PM

i have a skunk2 IM on my H22 in a 96 EX.

it BARELY fits though, and we had to do some scraping.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:29 PM

i have a skunk2 IM on my H22 in a 96 EX.

you can see the IM here (the top left side of it)

Old 12-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: H22 into a civic EG (squarepusher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by squarepusher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a skunk2 IM on my H22 in a 96 EX.

you can see the IM here (the top left side of it)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

It will fit fine in an EK chassis. I have yet to see a mount kit that allows it to fit in an EG chassis however. I don't think you will find a kit that will considering where the motor has to sit in order to avoid axle issues.

Quick Reply: H22 into a civic EG