Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work

I currently drive a 2002 Corolla LE... Stickshift, I can take out some Civic DOHC Vtec Si's, and I hang with Integra LS's, but there isn't any aftermarket parts available, and I saw a 2 Door Civic with a wide body Skyline kit, so I was won over to Honda.
A hatchback might be too small for me, but that's not the question... I want to get something with some punch that can be a daily driver, I don't want to put exhaust, or any of that bolt on stuff, I just want to fork out the grip of cash for a good DOHC Vtec motor now and worry about the rest later.
Someone told me that if you put a Prelude motor in a Civic, the frame bends and the engine falls out eventually... But someone else told me that if you get the right mounts, an aluminum intake manifold and aluminum heads, it will work right.
Is there an affordable way to put an H22 engine in a Civic or do I just get the B16a hybrid swap from JDM?
I used the search engine but it didn't work like four times... so I must look like a newby.
Old 01-26-2002, 01:54 AM
B18C-EJ1

Default Re: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work (DifferentOne)

See that cool little button in the upper right hand corner? It says "SEARCH"
https://honda-tech.com/zerosearch

welcome to HT, please take a look around before asking questions of which you have gotten some MAJOR mis-information.

Old 01-26-2002, 03:34 AM
New User

Default Re: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work (DifferentOne)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=113994
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=89907
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=117342
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=114128
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=112900
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=112279
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=107605
Old 01-26-2002, 03:30 PM
New User

ok, here we go.
You can take out some Civic Dohc vtec si's??
but you can ONLY "HANG" with the ls'??
from what i remember though, the stock civic si was faster then the stock ls'.
now to the h22 question..
if your engine is bolted up correctly it isnt going to fall out easily. remember the h22 is only about 80 lbs heavier then the b18c1.
aluminum intake manifold to make the swap work right???? ughh you got some bad info.
aluminum heads??? cmon man its a 4 banger,only has one head, plus its already aluminum. you tell me whats cast iron on a honda other then exhaust components.
and affordable for one person might not be whats affordable for another person.
i hope that you research some more before you decide anything about hybriding.
Old 01-27-2002, 02:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would someone want a jdm motor, knowing that u wont be able to smog it in calif. ..unless u have a hookup if u do drop a H22 motor into a hatch..forget about the comforts of daily driving..i dont think ull be able to have air or P/S..
Old 01-27-2002, 02:17 AM

Default Re: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work (deepnite)

go buy the chicken wire at any Home Depot and wire cut it then screw it up
Old 01-27-2002, 11:33 AM

Default Re: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work (Troy)

Last time I checked, Civic Si's had vtec lag. Last time I checked, DOHC Civic Si's had crappier torque than Tercel's. Last time I checked, I beat a Civic Si with intake, and headers at the quarter by a car length, and an Integra LS beat me by half a car length, STOCK.
You guys are a bunch of A-O's when it comes to giving friendly information. No wonder Toyota drivers hate you so much. No one can come in here and ask, "What does VTEC do?" without getting some sarcastic response or some bad vibes. Welcome to HT my @ss, I'll stick with Toyota message boards.
Oh and, what are message boards for? I can't ask about a swap anymore? The only question you can ask is, "Why did a CRX beat a Civic Si?" or "Why did my middle-left A/C vent fall off" Message boards are for people who searched and didn't find or who don't have a reliable source for hybrid information.
Old 01-27-2002, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-27-2002, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and last time I checked my Civic SI ran 14.9 with just an intake.... im soo scared of corrola that I try to avoid them... they are SOOOOO much faster then my TORQUELESS Civic SI!!!

[Modified by Maxime, 1:09 PM 1/27/2002]
Old 01-27-2002, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work (Maxime)

hey
your the one wanting a civic
you want to put an h22 in a hatch by all means
you may beat someone on the straightaways but your gonna be fu**ed when you try and corner.

dont knock on honda owners. you own a corolla, and are you sure it was an si? not a dx painted blue? cause my civic will spank your corolla. dont be an ***.
Old 01-27-2002, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Last time I checked, Civic Si's had vtec lag. Last time I checked, DOHC Civic Si's had crappier torque than Tercel's. Last time I checked, I beat a Civic Si with intake, and headers at the quarter by a car length, and an Integra LS beat me by half a car length, STOCK.
You guys are a bunch of A-O's when it comes to giving friendly information. No wonder Toyota drivers hate you so much. No one can come in here and ask, "What does VTEC do?" without getting some sarcastic response or some bad vibes. Welcome to HT my @ss, I'll stick with Toyota message boards.
Oh and, what are message boards for? I can't ask about a swap anymore? The only question you can ask is, "Why did a CRX beat a Civic Si?" or "Why did my middle-left A/C vent fall off" Message boards are for people who searched and didn't find or who don't have a reliable source for hybrid information.

DifferentOne...i know you are coming here for information..and some people will flame on you..but in almost every forum....everyone flames on everyone....but...to your H22 question..yes putting it into a hatch will be very very fast....u are looking at consistent mid to high 13s with this setup...however..the downfall to this swap is the hard work it will take...and the sacrifices that you will have to make. A lot of people say..oh u just have to change the mounts..they have a mount kit...sure they do..but that doesn't make the swap easy....its easier..but still difficult. And as for driveabliity, as a daily driver...it might be ok..until u notice the understeer.....and trust me..there is a lot of it..if u plan to take a corner....sometimes at a normal speed.........pending..how sharp the corner is. But if the straight line is all you care about........then its a perfect swap...but swerving through traffic..which comes to play in street racing..ur asking for trouble and danger. Just imagine..you are riding a bycycle......and u put some heavy dumbells on your front wheel bars.....can you see how hard it would be to turn...but how easy it is to go straight......you maybe be the fast bycylcle rider...but your handling will suffer.....so i would rather you put a b18 or a b16 into your hatch..u wont' suffer from handling..and your not that much slower than a H22A....umm..and also as for the thing about u beatin an Si..but losing to an LS....it really doesn't add up...the Si..is faster than the LS..not by much..but still faster.....umm......the only good thing about the LS is the great low end torque it has..but with the Si....it catches up by the end of 2nd gear..and pulls from then on..cuz its in its powerband from then on..as to where the LS...is in the uppper rev band...when its power band is mainly centered in the midrange......Umm..and for the guy with an Intake on his Si..running 14.9...all i can say is interesting..my cousin with a b18c5 in his civic coupe..with a spoon header...Apexi intake, and mugen exhaust..runs 14.3.........and don't tell me he is a bad driver.......thats about right for most EK coupes......with a b18c5 hybrid.....alright..i have done a lot of typing..time for the people to start flaming me now...but all i have to say is up yours and DoEs AnYoNe KnOw WheRe I CaN GeT SoMe StRObE LiTEZ AnD LiGhT uP WiNdShiElD NoZzLeS?? you to whoever does flame me...

Khoi
Old 01-27-2002, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work (Sohc Driver)

oh i get it now..damn..i've been pondering it now..everytime someone says Fuc* you...it puts up that line...anyone know where i can find some nozzle lights"..thats clever.......

Khoi

P.S...i didn't ask for nozzle lights.......
Old 01-28-2002, 11:19 PM

Default Re: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work (Sohc Driver)

"i'll spank ur corolla"
"are u sure it wasn't a civic painted blue"
Yeah I'm sure, maybe because it's my friend that owns it, and I've seen his motor fifty times... Or maybe its because we went until 95... maybe if we would've went until 130, his hp would've kicked in and he would've passed me... Gee I wonder.
And yeah an LS beat me, I didn't see HIS motor though, so maybe he had a GSR.
But my car has 117 dynoed lbs ft torque, civic si's have like 101
Old 01-28-2002, 11:24 PM

Default Re: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work (Maxime)

and last time I checked my Civic SI ran 14.9 with just an intake.... im soo scared of corrola that I try to avoid them... they are SOOOOO much faster then my TORQUELESS Civic SI!!!

lies
Old 01-28-2002, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let's see..A Civic Si running a 14.9 with only an intake....maybe in the 1/8..
Old 01-28-2002, 11:56 PM

Default Re: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work (Interlude)

Last time I checked, with a good driver behind the wheels, like Road And Track driver, the Si get's 15.7 STOCK... you're telling me your intake and your driving skills dropped your times by .8 of a second? wow, you better apply to road and track coz they're drivers are missing SOMETHING, maybe they shouldn't hold the clutch in for half a second when they shift gears... or maybe they were really driving an ex...
Oh yeah and intake, headers, exhaust and cams, only take off like .6 of a second, I know cars... so don't go around thinking your god just coz you have that...
But to stick to the subject...
What if I put the h22 in a 2 door 92-95 civic coupe? still a grip of understeer? aside from handling what are the other problems of it daily driving...? what if I got a CRX with B16?
I already have the 2 door civic it's a question of what engine to get... or to sell it and get a CRX....
Old 01-29-2002, 04:07 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

DifferentOne - Welcome to the board and please do not take this very small section of the H-T members as the WHOLE message board population. You have some good questions, and I especially like your idea of moving on to Honda since the aftermarket fot your Toyota will be very slim. Try those links that Big James posted up - very good info on those.

As for the other people saying "My car will kill your car" and shiet, that totally DOES make this site look like every other MB around. That's what I've liked about this site for the most part, so please, the e-races and e-challenges don't mean shiet so why even bother?

And BTW 14.9 on an otherwise-stock Civic Si with only an AEM?

Try 15.9

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 1:10 PM 1/29/2002]
Old 01-29-2002, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work (B18C5-EH2)

actually Tom, a friend of mine on this board ran a 14.89 with an intake and an exhaust, and on stock Michelins (they are horrid). his car is a freak though, or maybe he is a good driver . his name is Mike P on the board. i think i still have a pic of him running a 15.0 with just the intake

Brian
Old 01-29-2002, 05:42 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work (Brian*Black99Si)

I believe you, but it's the manner in which that other guy posted that tends to make me think he was exaggerating a bit
Old 01-29-2002, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work (B18C5-EH2)

gotcha

Brian
Old 01-29-2002, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work (KAMiN)

Let's not sell Corollas short. South of the border, they've managed to pull some pretty impressive times with them. About a thousand years ago, I had a 1980 Corolla hatchback. It was very light, RWD, and had the 1.8L 3T-C motor if I remember right. With some aftermarket support, that car could have been pretty fierce.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work (fsp31)

first off everybody that said you get understeer with an h22 doesnt no poop, all you need is aftermarket springs, and a front upper strut bar, and youl handle fine,you can keep your ac and your power steering, just get the right mount kit, if you hear somthing from somone that heard it from this one guy that his sisters friend and so on, the story will get messed up , find somone that actully has it done and talk to them, my brother has a h22 is his 98 hatch , ity handles very well , he has skunk2 coilovers, front and rear upper strut bars thats it, you guys are talkin like h22s are huge motors, they are only 89lbs heavier than your stock sohc motors so if you dont want the extra weight take out your ac and save alot ore than 89lbs ac is heavy . the only reason my brother doesnt have it is becausse hes all about weight savings, anyway please no what your talkin about when you talk becasue you just look stupid when somone corrects you

peace

[Modified by spizone, 11:00 AM 1/29/2002]
Old 01-29-2002, 07:37 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work (spizone)

Okay spizone, I hear you but not everything adds up.

You think just adding stiffer srpings up front and strut braces will correct the problem?

No it will NOT - stiffer springs up front will only make the understeering MUCH worse. If you think your bro-'s car handles well, then that's good for you guys, but if you have ever ridden in a Civic with a nicely tuned suspension you would see that your bro's car is a far cry from handling "good."

No offense intended, but it's the truth. If you REALLY want to try and remedy the problem, then I would suggest getting stiffer springs up front and EVEN stiffer than the front REAR springs. I would even add a rear swaybar to make the rear come around more sense the 89lbs. and awkward placement of the H22A WILL induce understeer.

I would not advise telling people that they look stupid when you yourself have a thing or 7 to learn about suspension tuning. Jeez man, I still have assloads of things i need to learn JUST to have a nicely balanced car. The H22A is an EXCELLENT straight line powerplant, but if you EVER want to auto-cross then you will be getting clobbered by many underpowered cars - hell I get handled on by D-series cars out there because of their driving foremost, but also their suspension is nicely tuned. The H22A sits in a different position than the D and B series motors do, so the handling characteristics will change not only because of the added 89lbs., but the WAY in which the motor SITS too.

I am not misinformed - I have actually come around a lot more on the H22A swaps, but I still think that the sus would need a LOT more than some damned strut brace to make the car even neutral.

Hell I've got a 1992 Hatchback with b-series motor and I will be running 450 fronts and 600 rears (spring rates) with stock 1992 Si front swaybar and ITR rear swaybar just so the car won't understeer as much.

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 11:42 AM 1/29/2002]
Old 01-29-2002, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work (spizone)

>>you guys are talkin like h22s are huge motors, they are only 89lbs heavier than your stock sohc motors<<

You can look through my post history and see that people who don't post FACTS on this board tend to bother me. Looks like they bother you too. Well that's great, but this? An H22A 89lbs heavier than a D series motor? Please. It's more like 189+. EVERYTHING about an H series motor is bigger. The damn bell housing on the tranny weighs 20 lbs more alone.

Like -EH2 said, we have to go to extreme lengths just to get proper handling out of B-series powered Civics, which also happen to be significantly heavier than D series motors. I'm talking about real actual (double negative on purpose) handling. For example, things like cut Sportlines and a ITR rear sway bar do not constitute a *real* handling package. H-series powered Civics are a waste of time for people interested in lapping events or autocross.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:31 AM

Here some advice, H22 are real fast, but no cornering!!! B16A in your car would be useless to me, I'd do like I did and get the B18C(Integra gsr), the best choice and it weighs just a bit more than the original engine!!!

And corolla's are slow

Quick Reply: H22 in hatchback? Or stick with B16A? Search engine doesn't work