Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

H22 EG guys, let me talk to you!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 EG guys, let me talk to you!

Ok, I know I know... SEARCH blah blah blah. But I want to be able to talk to you guy's about your setups not just reading it. I am going to hopefully be putting in my H22 here in the summer after I work my *** off and I want to get the genearl feel for a good setup and what I should expect to pay and perfrom with it. So here goes my questions

1) We'll start out first things first since I could do this before I buy the motor: What kind of suspension setups do you guy's have. Right now I have H&R Race that have crappy rear spring rates... soemthing like 250, yea I know... that's sad. So I wanted to know what you have and how well you like it.

2)Now to the motor: Where did you buy your's from and what price did you pay? What all did you get with what you payed for AND did you buy the option LSD, if so was it worth the extra price?

3)Mounts... yes I know there is a thread going on right now. But I want to know which ones are you running? Any axle issues? If possible could you guy's take some pictures of 'em and show me the angle of the axle and how close it is to the firewall??? I don't want to turn this into a debate about which is better or not. Just simply what ones you have.

4)Axles themselves. Are you doing the 90-93 Accord Intermediate shaft w/ 90-93 Integra axles? Or are you using the Prelude Intermediate w/ the custom axles. If you are using custom axles what kind? And how much did you pay for them?

5)Performance: What kind of performance do you guy's get out of your swap? Dyno's, 1/4 times, etc. I think for a stock motor it's something like 165-170 whp and 140 ish tq. With what kind of mods would I be expecting to use in order to get it up to around 200-220 whp??

6)Exhaust... what exhaust system do you run? Is it loud? Are you running a cat or testpipe? If so did you have to get a custom one... blah blah blah

I know this is a lot of questions but I'm trying to find out EXACTLY what I will need to pay for this summer. Which reminds me, when all is said and done, what is a general ballpark that you guy's spent to get your motors in there.

Thank you so much for your help!

Scott

Modified by SlippylesKB at 12:37 PM 5/1/2003
Old 05-01-2003, 08:37 AM

Anyone wanna help?
Old 05-01-2003, 09:11 AM

Default Re: (SlippylesKB)

i'd like to know too. i've been debating on whether or not i want an h22 or b20vtec. not sure mang, but free bump for ju.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SlippylesKB)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=489883

try this
Old 05-01-2003, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivHatchH22)

Check with

EK22Tim
Poision
Fastwannabe
newman
UpstateCivic
JDMH22HATCH
jDmDxTuRd
91allmotorb16
Jason kiDD
hot_EG
liquid51
nos_b16
cccya

These guys all have H22 Civic's. i just looked thru the Hybrid section under h22
Old 05-01-2003, 10:27 AM

Ok, **** this "the motor is too heavy" bullshit, ignore it. I have an H22 in my EG, the car weighs 2170 w/ a 1/4 tank of gas, it is a 92 cx, click my signature for some 2 month old pics, which will be updated VERY soon.

Suspension: I have Tokico Illuminas (adjustable) on Ground Control coilovers 475 lb. springs in the front 350 lb. springs in the rear, and a type R 22mm swaybar to battle any understeer, car handles beautifully, I plan to ROADRACE the car later this summer after I get my tuning done, so I will let you all know how she does.

Exhaust: I have 3" mandrel bent exhaust (that I made) from the stock header back, no cat, no resonator, just piping, and it is WAY too loud! The car will be turbocharged VERY soon, just waiting for my custom manifold to show up from Maxrev (tomorrow), then it will need the tuning and then I will let you know on power!

Power: My motor is built low compression 8.8:1 wiseco pistons, currently running NA, so probably not very impressive, I will let you know once it is boosted and tuned however.

Tranny: I currently have a factory LSD, however I used to run a non LSD H22 tranny, I recommend the LSD, worth the money!

Axles/Mounts: I am using Hasport mounts, and I was using the accord intermediate shaft with 90-93 integra axles, and I GUARANTEE you that since the right side axle is too short, you will have to have the front of the car sitting at almost stock ride height or else you will have a rediculous vibration. Currently I am using the Prelude intermediate shaft with Driveshaftshop stage 2 axles, and I am slammed! The right side (passenger) driveshaft shop axle was nearly 1 full inch longer than the 90-93 integra right side axle, so when you use the 90-93 integra axle with hasport mounts, you need to understand that it will work, BUT it isn't the exact proper length.

Opinion: I love the broad powerband, and how the car feels, and there is still quite a lot of room in the engine bay, moreso than an H22 prelude, so NO WORRIES!

Any other questions let me know.

Modified by Hondaddict at 11:47 AM 5/1/2003
Old 05-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (Hondaddict)

Hondattict, sounds like you've got a pretty sweet setup. When you going boosted?

But anyways, back to your topic Scott. Here's my setup.

1. Suspension: I am running the Tein Type Flex's with the upper pillow mounts, S/T sway bars, JDM ITR lca's, GSR front upper strut bar. The car handles unbelievable and is soon to be caged as well.

2. Motor: I am not going to say where and how much, since I don't believe my pricing would be fair to the average public. But I will say that the LSD is almost a must with the H22 in a hatch. I used to be non lsd, but I installed a Quaife and what a world of difference.

3. Mounts: I am running the old school Hasport race mounts. I highly recommend Hasport as a great company, as well as the fact that they have great craftmanship and have spent a countless amount of hours to perfect their mounts for this swap. I have zero axle problems, the motor sits perfect without the tilt, and I have had no complaints so far and I have had the swap for over a year.

4. Axles: I am currently running a custom Prodrive setup with the Prelude intermediate shaft, but if you don't want to dish out the $1800 then I do highly recommend the DSS axles as well. Talk to Poison or Newman about these because they have a lot of experience with them and are very knowlegeable. I have had zero problems with my setup, and have had no vibrations, binding, or complaints whatsoever.

5. Performance: Depending on which motor you get, how you tune it, and what parts you might have, depends on how much power you can achieve. I am making 206 whp with 160 lb of torque right now with my current setup and I still have factory exhaust manifold and intake manifold. No I'm running primaries only, and have spent countless hours tuning the car, but my mods are not too extensive. I am running a 94 JDM H22 with intake, exhaust (which i will get to in #6), fuel pressure reg, BBK/Walbro 255 fuel pump, Apexi VAFC, Chipped P28, ACT clutch, Clutchmasters flywheel, NGK plugs, MSD wires, and a few more goodies I know I'm leaving out. Tuning was the key, which helped me net the most power. As for the track, my times are secret , well at least until I get a scanner or something. But I will say you won't be dissappointed in the swap.

6. Exhaust: I am running the Apexi N1. No cat, with 2 1/2 piping. I had to have a custom section to fit from the header to the exhaust, but no biggie. I just need to fix this damn exhaust leak now. . Its loud at WOT, but sounds great. Maybe I'll be able to get a sound clip for you soon.

And to end it off, Best of luck with everything Scott. I love your hatch, its just so damn clean. If you need any help, please feel free to IM me or any of us with the swap. We will all be glad to help.

And sorry I couldn't get a really good pic of the firewall, but here's the closest I think I've got.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:11 PM

Default Re:

Hey, thanks a lot guy's! I can't wait to join the club! Since both of you guy's are running HaSport mounts, I'm gonna ask this question. Hondaddict, I know you said that if my car was slammed you would recommend against doing the 'teg axles. I'm dropped 2.5f and 2.25r on H&R's, do you think I could do the 'teg axles just for a month or 2 until I can save up enough money for the "real deal" axles? Or should I just pray that my stock motor doesn't die out on me and just wait so I can get the real deal.

Thanks alot for your help! I really do appreciate it. I'm sure I will be asking you guy's more question as the time gets near for me to feel the wrath of an H-series heart.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Re: (SlippylesKB)

Bump for other guy's to help!
Old 05-02-2003, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H22 EG guys, let me talk to you! (SlippylesKB)

Ok, well I haven't taken the car for a test drive yet, so I'll have to get back to you on how it handles. But this is what I can tell you so far.
1) I'm running GC's w/a 400 lb spring rate all around. KYB AGX in the front and the regular KYB's in the rear. ST sway bars and rear tie bar, and an ITR strut bar.

2) Osaka Motors for $1900. I only live about 4 hours away, so I actually got to go pick out the one that I wanted. No LSD, or at least I don't think so.

3) HCP mounts. I went with them because in the poll I had going, a lot of people said that they were the best bang for the buck. I paid $276 shipped from SpeedGarage. I don't see anything wrong with them. They're a quality mount, they just don't have the bling factor the HASport ones do.

4) Prelude int. shaft w/DSS level 1 axles. $418 shipped from DSS. These are some beefy axles. Once I saw them compared to the stock ones, I was very glad that I got them. I don't have any pics of the axle angle yet, but i'll try and get some this weekend.

5) Don't know yet, but I can't wait to find out!!

6) Custom bent 2 1/2" piping, test pipe and Fireball muffler.

Hope this helps, and also look around the hybrid forum. There's plenty of guys in there.
-Wayne
Old 05-02-2003, 05:52 AM

Default Re: H22 EG guys, let me talk to you! (UpstateCivic)

b20 vtec
Old 05-02-2003, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, this is a great post.

Now for wiring guys, what are yall using?

My friend who has an H22 powered hatch is having problems with his CEL. I heard you need to do some kind of custom harness for a Civic.

Explain please, thanks.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:22 AM

Default Re: H22 EG guys, let me talk to you! (b16matt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16matt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b20 vtec</TD></TR></TABLE>

We'll have none of that here thank you

Scott
Old 05-02-2003, 08:04 AM

Wiring was gravy, just time consuming. The CEL he has is probably from EGR. Other than that, you need to use your STOCK wiring harness and just modify it: you will need to wire in a 4 wire oxygen sensor if your car is a cx or vx, then just extend the alternator wires (5 wires), TPS (3 wires), wire in the prelude injector clips and the injector resistor box (not as hard as it sounds, very simple!), wire in the obvious Knock, Vtec solenoid, Vtec pressure, I also had to extend and slightly change my reverse switch connector, and I think that was it, just make sure you solder everything, and that everything has a good connection and you will be ready to go!

I used the stock civic clutch line, which I will be changing to a full stainless clutch line very shortly. The fuel filter needs to be moved over about 2" over to the passenger side of the car to clear the throttle body/intake pipe so I just cut a section out of the hard feed line into the fuel filter and then moved the fuel filter over, flared the ends of the hard line and connected them with fuel injection hose from NAPA, and just hose clamped them on! (I think the stock fuel filter being moved is ghetto so it will be changed to stainless line with an earls fuel filter very shortly as well!

Oh, and here is a teaser for you guys! I had just gotten done polishing my compressor, and it just looked so good laying on my EMS!!!.... Don't worry, I will post pics VERY soon when it is all done!!!
Old 05-02-2003, 08:07 AM

Default Re: H22 EG guys, let me talk to you! (Hondaddict)

Oh, and this is the condition the car is currently in as it drives on the street with low compression pistons and NO TURBO ...YET.

Old 05-02-2003, 08:54 AM

Default Re: H22 EG guys, let me talk to you! (Hondaddict)

That thing is going to be SWEET!
Old 05-04-2003, 09:35 AM

Gonna get a bumpage for the hell of it.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So whats the averge price to get one,Lets say shop prices not Diy prices??
Old 05-04-2003, 10:53 AM

Default Re: H22 EG guys, let me talk to you! (JALOP B16)

What an H22???

It's 2800 shipped for one w/ the option LSD. From HMO
Old 05-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlippylesKB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What an H22???

It's 2800 shipped for one w/ the option LSD. From HMO</TD></TR></TABLE>

Holy crap that's a good price!

I got my engine 6 months ago from Steve at HMO, $2700 shipped w/OUT LSD!

Dang good price

Everybody has pretty much answered all your questions, but I'll go ahead and say this because people hate on the h22 and try to find things to nit pick about it...

I've seen several people bash on the shifter cables, and about how they feel vague, they're weak, they can snap etc.

BS! I was kind of worried they might feel vague compared to the rods used in B series, but they're not at all! I love the way they feel! If anything, it feels LESS vague than the rods!

H22 + Hatch + tuned =
Old 05-04-2003, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright let see...

1. I'm using tokico illuminas with GC w/ 400fronts and 350 rear. I will be ung 500 on the front soon because 400 is a little to soft for me.

2. I got my motor from HMO for a little under 3g's. I didnt get the LSD(I suggest you get it)but I wish I did. I think I paid a fair price.

3. I am using the HCP kit and like it very much, the only issue I have that the driver side axle is close to the shock fork but DOES NOT make contact.
here's a pic of how close the IM is to the firewall... but make no contact.

here is a pic of the driver side axle angle...

heres the pass side...

4. as far as axles I'm using 90-91 Accord halfshaft with 89 teg pass side axle and 91 driver side teg axle, works like a charm however my halfshaft does let MTF seep out.

5. I dont have any dynos on my motor but I think I'm pushing out about 175-180WHP. The best I've been able to do is 13.8@100 w/ 2.1 60'. I have hit higher MPH though but I just suck. 200-220WHP should be easy to attain N/A but it wont be cheap. The mods I want to do is going to run me 2g's or so and that should yeild me about 200 WHP or so.

6. I rock a stock header w/ no cat and a 2.5" SS exhasut with a 18" magnaflow resonator and a Magnaflow oval muffler. It is a little to loud and raspy at high RPM's but oh well.

Old 05-04-2003, 12:14 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: H22 EG guys, let me talk to you! (fastwanabe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastwanabe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
4. as far as axles I'm using 90-91 Accord halfshaft with 89 teg pass side axle and 91 driver side teg axle, works like a charm however my halfshaft does let MTF seep out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Check your axle seal.... the rubber ring that goes into the transmission on the intermediate shaft side. Might need to be replaced ($2 part from Honda).

As for H22 questions, feel free to hit me up on PM or email, if you have any specific questions.

Old 05-04-2003, 12:25 PM

Default Re: H22 EG guys, let me talk to you! (Newman)

Hey thanks a lot fellas! Your input on this really helps and I'm glad that this thread hasn't turned into a H22's suck why don't you just throw in a (insert B-series engine code).

I'm sort of piecing together in my head what I"m going to get. Definately going to do the LSD... (thanks for telling me) Probably going to do DSS Stage 1 or2 axles w/ maybe a Greddy type of exhaust (haven't decided exactly which one).

As the moment gets closer to me actually STARTING this project I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have a lot of questions! Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Scott
Old 05-20-2003, 11:23 AM

Alright, well I'm back to ask one question. How low are you guy's dropped???

I've got H&R Race (2.5f 2.25r) what do you think about the axle issue w/ my particular swap?
Old 05-20-2003, 11:53 AM

oh yea, bump AND what is the oil pan clearance for your car!?! Will my drop be too low?

Quick Reply: H22 EG guys, let me talk to you!