Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

H&r vs skunk2 vs eibach springs for del sol

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&r vs skunk2 vs eibach springs for del sol

Looking to get a pair of springs to get rid my squeaky weapon r coilovers and trying to do my research. I'm looking to get some aftermarket shocks/struts and springs and wondering which springs are good. Right now I'm looking at eibach, skunk 2 , and h&r. Anyone have a favorite that they want to suggest? I want something that isn't too stiff or cadillacy. I'm on 14 in hx rims at the moment snd want a drop that is low enough where there's barely any gap, but you can still see the wheels and the bottom won't scrape like crazy. Thanks. Sols with pictures of how the drops are on the springs a plus.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:46 AM

Default Re: H&r vs skunk2 vs eibach springs for del sol

i would just save a little extra money and get full coilovers. skunk2 or tien coilovers are nice. if you wanna go with a shocks/struts and spring set up i would go with some koni shocks and Ground control springs
Old 02-07-2010, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a suspension expert or anything but years ago I put H&R Sport(not race)springs on my car front and rear mated with KYB GR-2 shocks. And I realy like the way the setup feels. Back when I had 15" wheels with 205/50-15 tires it felt really good. Or to me anyways.

Now I am rocking black 14" steelies and still love the feel of the suspension over a stock civic. I went with the Sport springs because I didn't want as big a drop as the race springs offered. Just info on my setup. I don't know much at all about coilovers.

I have had the above setup for roughly 6 years now and everything still feels good to me.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I Know what's good and what's not good for coilovers, but not looking for some at the moment. I kinda just want springs right now.
Don't need anything fancy right now.

I hear a lot about eibach and skunk2, but not h&r
Old 02-07-2010, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I currently have eibach springs with a 1.5" drop on 17s.
I like em, theyre a lot smoother then the other cars Iv owned. I just cant say much about the handling because I havent been able to push them yet.

but the tires rub on hard turns

Old 02-07-2010, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your sol would look soooo much better on some 15s....sorry, I had to say it.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea I know, I want these ones in 15 or 16's
but they came with the car so I cant complain.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive got kyb agx and eibach 1.8 drop springs . had em goin on two years now. good ride really rough but i have the agx all the way up. on 2 its like being on a cushion.

its on 13 steels.

sorry you can't really see the drop all that well don't have many pics of it.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
Your sol would look soooo much better on some 15s....sorry, I had to say it.
No way, the car looks nice as it is. With the 15s all you see is the huge sidewall of the tire.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mish__
I'm looking at eibach, skunk 2 , and h&r
The Eibach and the H&R springs will look and ride fairly similarly. Eibach Sportlines will be a little lower than the H&R and the Pro-Kits will be a little higher. Either way there won't be a huge difference.

The Skunk2s are quite a bit lower and stiffer. I wouldn't go that route unless you have really smooth roads in your area.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boxeocampeon
i would just save a little extra money and get full coilovers. skunk2 or tien coilovers are nice. if you wanna go with a shocks/struts and spring set up i would go with some koni shocks and Ground control springs
You are talking about a lot more cash to get a full set of coil-overs. The Skunk2 coilovers are extremely stiff. The Tein "Basic" coil-overs are not any better than and Eibach or H&R spring kit combined with a nice shock. The only difference with the Tein is that you would be able to adjust the pre-load and ride height.

The Ground-Control coilovers with Koni yellows is also nice, except it is at least 800 dollars depending how much of a deal you get. So it is much more expensive.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend's H&R Race on stock shocks and used them for a LONG time... At least for 3 years(including winter driving and DD) and abused by autocross... and now I have them. Planning on using them on my beater and see how much longer they'll last. lol

I've personal experience with Neuspeed race springs as well but not as good as H&R. I'd rock H&R's ANY DAY!!(for mild racing even)

H&R race(couldn't find a good pic):

Old 02-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bsmith100
No way, the car looks nice as it is. With the 15s all you see is the huge sidewall of the tire.
17s are to big on a Civic. That's my opinion, thanks for your opinion as well. However, that's not the actual topic of conversation so back to talk about springs/shocks.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:17 AM

You are talking about a lot more cash to get a full set of coil-overs. The Skunk2 coilovers are extremely stiff. The Tein "Basic" coil-overs are not any better than and Eibach or H&R spring kit combined with a nice shock. The only difference with the Tein is that you would be able to adjust the pre-load and ride height.

The Ground-Control coilovers with Koni yellows is also nice, except it is at least 800 dollars depending how much of a deal you get. So it is much more expensive.
but it is better to save money and buy something a lot better than waste your money on stuff thats not gonna give you that much more performance
Old 02-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have H&R's sports with stock shocks and I like the ride and the way the car looks. I picked these up here for $50+shipping,If you want lower than save $$$ for coilovers.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boxeocampeon
but it is better to save money and buy something a lot better than waste your money on stuff thats not gonna give you that much more performance
If he doesn't want or need the ability to fine tune the ride height and adjust pre-load, then he probably doesn't need to spend the extra cash for a coil-over setup. If he goes with a nice shock like a Koni, then he won't have to worry about quality.

The other thing is that he said he didn't want anything that was overly stiff. The spring rates are usually higher with coil-overs. However, even if the spring rates were the same, most coil-overs use linear rate springs, while most sport springs are progressive rate, so coil-overs will give a much stiffer ride.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:50 AM

If he doesn't want or need the ability to fine tune the ride height and adjust pre-load, then he probably doesn't need to spend the extra cash for a coil-over setup. If he goes with a nice shock like a Koni, then he won't have to worry about quality.

The other thing is that he said he didn't want anything that was overly stiff. The spring rates are usually higher with coil-overs. However, even if the spring rates were the same, most coil-overs use linear rate springs, while most sport springs are progressive rate, so coil-overs will give a much stiffer ride.
yes you are correct. go with springs if you do not plan on tuning the car and are just doing it more for looks
Old 02-08-2010, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, i see a lot of h&r. It seems as if the front is lower than the back. I hate tire rubs ): but, I'll look into it.

Yes, although ground controls and konis sound really good to me, It's over my budget ): I still have to keep my car prep and paint and car parts in mind. This hobby is too expensive and not about to race anytime soon. Trying to get suspensions asap and align my car, then get my lcas replaced and get my asr goodies :D

I looked at konis and kyb and I want either or, but can't afford it. So moving on and looking at tokico hps, what do you guys think of that? Oh and getting springs for my DD for now, just want a comfortable ride, with a good look minus huge fender gap. I don't want my wheels to rape my fender walls either, I hate hearing that sound everytime i turn.

I'm a girl, btw... I don't have a wing dang doodle.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

riding low and dirty is how i roll

h&r race springs on koni yellows, almost 3 inch drop i think.

with out the kit

and on gsr blades
Old 02-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, that's low. i like your car without the kit
Old 02-08-2010, 01:58 PM

17'S = FAIL
Old 02-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, i see a lot of h&r. It seems as if the front is lower than the back. I hate tire rubs ): but, I'll look into it.

Yes, although ground controls and konis sound really good to me, It's over my budget ): I still have to keep my car prep and paint and car parts in mind. This hobby is too expensive and not about to race anytime soon. Trying to get suspensions asap and align my car, then get my lcas replaced and get my asr goodies :D

I looked at konis and kyb and I want either or, but can't afford it. So moving on and looking at tokico hps, what do you guys think of that? Oh and getting springs for my DD for now, just want a comfortable ride, with a good look minus huge fender gap. I don't want my wheels to rape my fender walls either, I hate hearing that sound everytime i turn.

I'm a girl, btw... I don't have a wing dang doodle.
Sorry if I offended you by calling you a guy. I assumed that because almost everybody here is a guy.

Anyway, for about the same price of Tokico HPs you can get a set of the Orange Koni STR_T shocks. They are around $70-$80 per shock. I haven't tried the Tokico HPs, except everybody here seems to complain about how bad they are.

If you go with Eibach or H&R sport springs you will only rub the inside of the fender on really sharp low speed corners. You only get the rub when you go in really hard and cause the front of the car to dive. The outside edge of the tire will rub the inside of the fender a little.

On faster corners you don't have to turn the wheel as much so you won't get any rubbing. It only happens on sharp low speed (like less than 35mph) corners.

Don't get race springs. They will ride as rough as coil-overs will.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's okay Yeah, haven't read a good review on the tokico hps, but seems like a lot of people get them. How about kyb agx's? Or tokico illuminas? I haven't seen legit reviews on the orange konis yet. But, until then... Still searching. Or geez, if you guys could find me a deal on used/new struts/shocks, lmk.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, that's low. i like your car without the kit
thanks
Old 02-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They will ride as rough as coil-overs will.
not all coilovers ride rough, like my neuspeed spring bilstein shock coilovers

Quick Reply: H&r vs skunk2 vs eibach springs for del sol