Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR OR TYPE R SWAP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR OR TYPE R SWAP?

Okay so what to do what to do? I bought an 95 EG6 a couple of months ago and Ive been saving up to do something big to it. okay right now i have about 4,500 maybe 5000 grand tops so what would be the best thing for me to do to it? concidering time money and problems that may come up? casue right now its like the only car i have so it cant be in my garage for about a week or 2 casue i need to go to school and work. so down to it is the gsr b18c1 better than the type r b18c or is the type r better than the gsr? casue i got a friend and hes telling me that the gsr would be a better swap becasue of the butterfly valves in the intake manifold and that its a better engine but not as fast as the type r but then i have other people telling me that the type r would be a better swap but more expensive than the gsr...what is you guys opinion on this? call yall give me som proof of why the type r is better or the gsr is better

thanks

Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GSR OR TYPE R SWAP? (Luis135a)

bo0sted D FTW..!!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wut r ur plans for the car??
Old 02-06-2008, 07:52 PM

if your power goals are somewhere around 300whp, just boost the d. if your looking to go na get the type r, if your looking for more than 300whp get the gsr and boost.

honestly either go na with the itr, or boost the d.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:53 PM

Default Re: (queda)

just a daily driver on the weekdays but a car that i can have fun on the weekends with
Old 02-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GO TO COLLEGE!! your 16 yo, prioritize!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:59 PM

Default Re: GSR OR TYPE R SWAP? (highrev1987)

This question comes up like twice daily. It all depends on your plans for the car, if you just plan on going n/a or want to just have fun and power by just throwing a motor in and have the money I would go with an R but if your on a tighter budget then go with the gsr.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GSR OR TYPE R SWAP? (ejoner)

I'd say go with the ITR. First of all, in order to get a GSR to equal an ITR in terms of HP, it is going to cost more than the ~$1000 price difference between the two swaps. And secondly, with the ITR swap, you also get an LSD ITR trasmission. This alone is almost worth the price difference between the two motors.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first off if this is your only DD then you should consider security first, sure you can get the swap blah blah blah but once theives take it, its gone forever. If your only working with $5k, not anything more than spend $600-$700 on a DEI alarm with the extras (stealth install, check your local listings for dealers) with kill switches, autolock, and etc. Once security is done then you can decide on the swap.

IMO, the swap to go for is the GSR. You can do alot more stuff with the GSR than the ITR. The ITR motor is a great motor, its just there's very few things you can do to it. It all depends on what kind of build your plannin on doing.

Any suspension done yet? rims? tires?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (bmoua)

like bmoua said invest in security first off or it will be a waste of everything you put into your car. Ill tell you how I WOULD do it if i had the money. I would invest in some nice tires and wheels, then work on suspension. Nothing is more fun then a car that can shred twisties and do it at a high speed. after that then i would focus on the motor. You need to decide all you plans for the car whether you want to run NA (Type r swap) or if you may want to boost (gsr-t). even boosting the D will give you 200whp easy and with a nice suspension its a fun and relatively quick DD. just my .02.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93egSLEEPER)

the first thing i didbefore i looked into performance bro ( im 18 this is my 3rd car) from experience.. im going to tell you that if you dont have an alarm before you get a swap.. dont do it at all.

1.alarm
2. suspension ( gotta be able to control the car with the engine before its in it)
3. performance engine

honest opinion id go with the gsr, the itr is an all motor high compression hand built honda engine. if you just going to put the engine i the car and drive it, go w the type r. jdm type r from hmotors is like almost 4500.

don't forget you have to buy mounts and some other small stuff to get the engine in ur car.. mounts arent cheap.. so look more into what you need and get everything before you swap it.

check the faq thread at the beginning of this forum
Old 02-06-2008, 09:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GO TO COLLEGE!! your 16 yo, prioritize!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 02-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (PhrequenC)

^^^^ well we told him the same thing... hopefully he takes it into consideration. you can find mounts cheap thought... i gat all mine for less then 200. just takes time to look around
Old 02-07-2008, 02:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO, the swap to go for is the GSR. You can do alot more stuff with the GSR than the ITR. The ITR motor is a great motor, its just there's very few things you can do to it. It all depends on what kind of build your plannin on doing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

There's nothing that you can do to a GSR that can't be done to an ITR. But here' another thing to consider. A few years back, I picked up a GSR longblock for $1000. If you an find something this cheap, then you can build it and end up with a better motor than the ITR. HOWEVER, if you have to pay the average market rate for a GSR swap (about $3000), then it is FAR more worthwhile to go ITR.

As for doing suspension first, I don't think this is necessary. After all, we are not talking about utterly crazy power here. And I have run swaps with stock suspension plenty of times without problems. This is something I would leave till after the swap. Because if you do suspension FIRST, you will likely end up with not enough cash to get the motor you REALLY want. And I don't know how likely you will have this amount of cash in the future to do the swap you really want. But since suspension mods require less of a large up-front outlay of cash, they will be doable in the near future when you get enough cash.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StorminMatt)

With all these facts being semi credible, i still think the OP should do a lil reading before he/she decides on what to get... I mean anyone who has to seriously ask GSR or ITR, hasn't obtained enough information to see the noticeable differences in both setups... And honestly, anyone I ever met who bought an ITR or GSR from Hmotors or so, usually ends up regretting just not tryna find a salvaged one for fraction of the price, rebuilding it for even cheaper than buying a new one, an just doin **** right the first time around...

So again, I say Boost the D... You're not lookin to break records so u say, or even be a competitive racer, so to drop five g's like it aint **** is kinda daring wouldn't ya say...

And anyone that want's to question my "reliable" comment yes I can back that up by plenty of support from my B series friends who are on their 3rd, 4th, an 5th swaps already... And my D15B's been transplanted for 4 years, boosted for 1 and rebuilt only right when it came to my doorstep 4 years ago... Still yeilding perfect compression, only minor issues ever happen like gaskets gone bad, hoses, ect the lil ****...

GL...
Old 02-07-2008, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would say boost the d
Old 02-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (queda)

b18c-r with a gsr trans+lsd with boost wining combo
Old 02-07-2008, 06:51 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (highroller54)

"Hey what engine do I get for my car"

Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

I personally can account for about 120,242 threads just like this one.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:08 AM

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

boosted D into the 400s!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a ITR in a EH2...loved it but im a allmotor guy...who ever told you "the butterfly valves in the intake manifold and that its a better engine" is wrong...ive seen a lot of problems with that manifold..i would do ITR or boosted D...thats just my 2 cents
Old 02-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Let's have a "this motor vs. that motor" war again...and again...

A JDM B18C ITR makes about 200 crank hp and is expensive. Good luck finding a USDM B18C5.

A USDM B18C1 GS-R makes about 170 crank hp and can be hard to find.

A JDM B18C Si-VTEC/SiR-G makes about 180 crank hp and is a little over priced but easy to find.

Like stated before, save money for school and mess with cars when you are making good money.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR OR TYPE R SWAP? (mcvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mcvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like stated before, save money for school and mess with cars when you are making good money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then again, you are only young once. I personally wish I could have messed with this sort of stuff when I was that age. But oh, well. Also, $5000 is a drop in the bucket when it comes to paying for school. If you have to completely put yourself through school, and (especially) if you are not going to be living at home while doing so, then it's not like that $5000 is going to be a major help. Also, school can REALLY suck at times. It can sometimes be a completely joyless situation. And sometimes, you just need SOMETHING to keep yourself going. A B18C5 could be just that 'something' that really helps you get through it. Trust me, I know. I wish I had a B18C5 swap back when I was in school. Then again, even if I DID have the cash, there wasn't such a thing as a B18C5 back then.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR OR TYPE R SWAP? (StorminMatt)

How many more threads like this before the forum self destructs?

First off... you dont drive an EG6, it's an EH. Second, why the f*ck do you want to dump 5k into a car that isn't even worth half of that?

1.Security
2.Suspension
3.Drive the **** out of the D for your DD and call it a day

Last thing this world needs is another 16 y/o kid with a GSR or Type-R racing down the streets hittin' vtec every f*cking gear to try and impress his friends.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR OR TYPE R SWAP? (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How many more threads like this before the forum self destructs?

First off... you dont drive an EG6, it's an EH. Second, why the f*ck do you want to dump 5k into a car that isn't even worth half of that?

1.Security
2.Suspension
3.Drive the **** out of the D for your DD and call it a day

Last thing this world needs is another 16 y/o kid with a GSR or Type-R racing down the streets hittin' vtec every f*cking gear to try and impress his friends. </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 02-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR OR TYPE R SWAP? (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Second, why the f*ck do you want to dump 5k into a car that isn't even worth half of that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pretty much everybody here does this sort of thing. Also, from the looks of your signature, if everybody decided to think as you do, you would be one hell of alot poorer. Either that, or you might have to find a line of work that you find ALOT less palatable.

Quick Reply: GSR OR TYPE R SWAP?