Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gsr trans grind

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gsr trans grind

Hi, so this is my first swapped Honda and its a 99 hatch with Gsr trans and B16a2. I get a grind in third and sometimes fifth if I shift fast or high rpms. I know previous owner has royal purple in the trans. Is this too thin? And I've read that the GM synchromesh with Friction modifiers can help. Does anyone have experience with this? TIA
-Shane
Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Gsr trans grind

Originally Posted by Brunoboy
Hi, so this is my first swapped Honda and its a 99 hatch with Gsr trans and B16a2. I get a grind in third and sometimes fifth if I shift fast or high rpms. I know previous owner has royal purple in the trans. Is this too thin? And I've read that the GM synchromesh with Friction modifiers can help. Does anyone have experience with this? TIA
-Shane
Ya mine does that to lol. you're supposed to use Honda MTF, drain what's in there and go grab 3 bottles of mtf you only need 2.3qt tho.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i use gm synchromesh in 06+ civic si's that have the 3rd gear problem of popping out and or grinding/locking out of 3rd.

It is a good product but it doesn't "fix" anything it just aids in lubricity to help reduce if not eliminate the need to remove the trans and replace the synchro and or gear set.

B series are know to have the famous 3rd gear grind. commonly people remove the trans and replace the synchro and inspect for any other abnormal wear or damaged parts.

Depending how severe it is you may want to try the gm synchromesh. IF the problem persists and you cannot stand the grinding then you need to prepare to have the trans removed and repaired which is a simple process but if you are uneducated on fixing manual transmissions then you need to make arrangements to have someone else who is knowledgeable about manual gearboxes to reapair it for you.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should use hondas MTF. But other fluids suffice. I drain and inspect fluid for metal flakes, that gives you an idea of how bad your eating that gear. You will need to replace this either sooner or later. You can bandaid it until then.

Remember its only an aid until your tranny locks on you while driving or . . . .

a synchro shoots out the front end of your car and chops the head off of a pedistrian while your stopped at a light. haha