Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR QUESTIONS ON EJ1

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR QUESTIONS ON EJ1

hey guys i've been off the forums for a while due to lack of time. I recently decided to do a b18c1 swap into my ej1. i understand the swap is pretty straight foward, and i know you guys will probably say search a little more. I don't have the time to search so i'm asking you guys for alittle help.

the questions:

i'll be using a 2001 gsr engine and tranny.

would i be able to use my stock p28 ecu? where do i get it chipped and how much does it usually cost?

can i use my stock wiring harness? (currently have d16z6)

what mounts do you guys use? i understand it's a combination of integra and civic mounts but could you guys be more specific?

knock sensor. Would a chipped p28 search for the knock sensor or would it bypass it?

would i have any engine light?

will stock civic exhaust bold on to the B series exhaust manifold and downpipe?

thats it for now guys i'll ask more if i can think of anything!

I really appreciate all the help!
Old 11-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you dont have time to search, how do you have the time to swap a motor into your car? You will get more detailed help by searching.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't have time? or you rather watch tv than do a little research?
yes you can use the stock p28, chipping a p28 costs 70 dollars somewhere online if you sent it in, i think its like 170 or something if you buy a chipper p28 ecu.
use the gsr harness, different plugs. you can use the single vtec one but you'll have to turn the motor to obd1, which isn't worth it. use the integra mounts all around. integra back bracket, integra tranny and integra driver side, you can use the single vtec torque mounts, i think.....
p28 do not look for a knock senser, so a chipped p28 would be better off without it, im not even sure if you can make it look for a knock senser, the knock senser is pretty useless in b series(someone told me this on ht- not too sure of validity)
you can fix all of the cel lights.
no, you need to turn the flange 90 degress at a muffler shop.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:01 AM

Default Re: GSR QUESTIONS ON EJ1 (lcsej1)

the bad thing about hondatech is how people instead of asnwering the questions, argue with u. I will be doing the swap myself at my friends shop next week because i will have 3 days off...
Old 11-15-2008, 09:05 AM

thanks for the reply hanmin!! so i'll have to use the gsr obd2 wiring harness with a obd2 to obd1 conversion harness correct? can you buy the wiring harness anywhere?
Old 11-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lcsej1
the bad thing about hondatech is how people instead of asnwering the questions, argue with u. I will be doing the swap myself at my friends shop next week because i will have 3 days off...
It is also bad that I have answered a majority of your questions over 2 times in the past few days for other people. Yet people make these threads everyday because they are too lazy to search. But im sure you will find someone nice enough to do the work/answer your questions for you.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it would be better to convert it to obd1 if your going for performance. you can chip obd1 ecu's alot easier and cheaper than obd2. so i would convert it back. just my $.02.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can use the stock obd2 gsr harness on your obd1 civic. it'll hook up right in, perfectly, no problems. you don't need the conversion harness because your car is already obd1, itll work, just use the gsr harness and treat the car as an obd1.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:25 AM

yeah i understand mnskateboarder i greatly appreciate your help! while i posted this topic i'm searching for more info! but if i were to use the gsr obd2 harness with my stock ecu wouldnt it be a problem since the gsr has obd2 dizzy...
Old 11-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you cant use your obd1 p28 on an obd2 wiring harness. it wont plug in. if you want your stock ecu you will have to use an obd1 gsr harness or just get yours to work.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:41 AM

Default Re: GSR QUESTIONS ON EJ1 (slo_hatch)

so if i get a obd1 to obd2 conversion harness it would work correct?
Old 11-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Ughhh. This thread is terrible, i've never seen more confusing, or in some cases just plain wrong info in my life.

For the harness, the easiest thing to do is use a USDM '96 - '01 integra GS-R engine harness, for the following reasons:
-It plugs into all the OBD2 sensors and components on the engine such as the alternator and distributor so you wont have to buy new OBD1 versions.
-It is a direct plug in at the shock tower plugs, again Direct Plug-in As in no wiring. You will have at least one plug not plugged in, don't worry about. plug the purge solenoid plug into the IAB solenoid and move pin A20 to A17 at the ECU for functioning IABs (secondary butterflies)

For the ECU get your stock P28 chipped for a GS-R, it will not look for a knock sensor so you wont have to wire one.

Mounts and brackets:
timing belt mount -> either reuse the original civic version, if its the black 2 post version you need the mount and the bracket off the original engine, if its the aluminum version you just need the mount, or use the integra mount and bracket.
Rear mount-> use the integra T bracket, with the original civic rubber mount.
Upper transmission mount -> use either the civic or integra mount, both are the same.
Lower torque mounts -> use the integra metal brackets with the original civic rubber mounts

A/C and power steering:
Use the bracket from a '94 - '97 Del Sol Vtec, or alternatively one from a '96 - '01 CR-V (there is some discrepency about whether or not the CR-V bracket allows you to retain your power steering, but it definately works for A/C

All this information is on H-T if you look under the FAQs, where I probably would have just pointed you had this thread not been so screwed up.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is why its better to search on your own. to much mixed info on here.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ej1 is eg coupe, right? eg coupe is obd1. why would you need an obd2 to obd1 jumper harness when its already obd1...
Old 11-16-2008, 01:43 PM

Default Re: (Hanmin)

ohh yeahh! my car is obd1! the engine is a 2001 (obd2b) will the engine wiring harness connect with the stock ej1 harness on the strut tower?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Seagull Management

Default Re: (lcsej1)

ohh yeahh! my car is obd1! the engine is a 2001 (obd2b) will the engine wiring harness connect with the stock ej1 harness on the strut tower?
I posted it up a little further, so Hanmin, but yes.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here, lemme summarize it for you.

EVERYTHING FROM THE INTEGRA, motor, tranny, axles, mounts, wiring harness, get your p28 chipped with a gsr basemap or get an obd1 p72. with a stock obd1 p72 just wire the knock sensor in and move pin a20 to a17(94eg8) all check engine lights can be fixed. the stock civic flange will need to be rotated 90 degrees.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:59 PM

Default Re: (Hanmin)

ok thanks for all the replies i believe the swap is pretty straight foward now and should be done with no problems! i don't get the 90 degrees flange but if i run into anyproblems ill post back!

i greatly appreciate the help you guys gave me!
Old 11-18-2008, 03:27 PM

ok so i just sent an email for a company that chips ecus to see what would i need in terms of wiring. it turned out that it's harder than i thought.

The guy who was helping me said:

Since you have and OBD2B engine we recommend you purchase a skunk2 intake manifold(so you won't have to deal with the IAB).
Concerning wiring, you can use the obd1 engine harness currently in the vehicle(D16Z6 WIRING HARNESS) & simply adapt the following:
1. Injector plugs.
2. Alternator plugss.
3. Distributor plugs.
4. Extend misc wires etc..

You will need to find an obd2(dont know if he meant OBD2 OR 1) alternator & injector plugs. Concerning the distributor conversion you can purhcase a distributor conversion harness on our website.

and he really confused me because he wrote " You will need obd2 style injector clips from an obd2 honda donor harness." so can any of you guys clear my mind?!?!
Old 11-18-2008, 03:28 PM

so by he saying "You will need obd2 style injector clips from an obd2 honda donor harness.
" does he mean that i have to cut the obd1 clips out and soder the obd2?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Seagull Management

ok so i just sent an email for a company that chips ecus to see what would i need in terms of wiring. it turned out that it's harder than i thought.

The guy who was helping me said:

Since you have and OBD2B engine we recommend you purchase a skunk2 intake manifold(so you won't have to deal with the IAB).
Concerning wiring, you can use the obd1 engine harness currently in the vehicle(D16Z6 WIRING HARNESS) & simply adapt the following:
1. Injector plugs.
2. Alternator plugss.
3. Distributor plugs.
4. Extend misc wires etc..

You will need to find an obd2(dont know if he meant OBD2 OR 1) alternator & injector plugs. Concerning the distributor conversion you can purhcase a distributor conversion harness on our website.

and he really confused me because he wrote " You will need obd2 style injector clips from an obd2 honda donor harness." so can any of you guys clear my mind?!?!
Just do what I said above and you wont have to do any wiring. Otherwise its just gonna end up being a hack job. In either case you can plug the purge solenoid connector into the IAB solenoid and simply move pin A20 to A17 for functioning IABs, thats not enough wiring to warrant the purchase of a SK2 intake manifold IMO.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:31 PM

94EG8 much thanks to you. in this thread you're like a lifesaver. this will be my first swap and i'm a little worried that things would go wrong but then again we all have you guys out there that help us. i really really appreciate all the info and ill do exactly what u told me to do hopefully everything will be ok! how about powersteering? nothing will be in the way right? or do i need a special bracket?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Seagull Management

94EG8 much thanks to you. in this thread you're like a lifesaver. this will be my first swap and i'm a little worried that things would go wrong but then again we all have you guys out there that help us. i really really appreciate all the info and ill do exactly what u told me to do hopefully everything will be ok!
Thanks, and so long as you use that GS-R harness you'll be fine. Something I did forget to mention though is if you use a chipped P28 you wont have functioning IABs even if you wire them, in that case either use an SK2 manifold or just leave them open. If you use a P72 you'll have IABs, but you will have to wire in the knock sensor (1 wire)

how about powersteering? nothing will be in the way right? or do i need a special bracket?
For power steering and A/C you will need the bracket from a '94 - '97 Del Sol Vtec, the same bracket from a '96 - '01 prelude will allow you're A/C but there is some disagreement on whether or not it allows you to retain your power steering. Overall this is a pretty straight forward swap and you shouldn't run into any issues. Make sure you give yourself lots of time to complete it in, generally problems will be little things like seized nuts and bolts. Good luck and if you have more questions ask.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

boost the D, tune the D, love the D... and save urself 1000 headaches lol...
Old 11-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i also have a 93 ex civic coupe and recently did a gsr swap. for the a/c and steering wheel bracket, are there any shops online that sells the bracket? im not use to driving without power steering.

Quick Reply: GSR QUESTIONS ON EJ1