Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gsr motor, with JDM ITR ecu comparrison

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gsr motor, with JDM ITR ecu comparrison

Hey guys i have a obd2 USDM gsr Motor, and my tuner sugested i barrow this JDM ITR ecu he has to see if it helps any, well i did and the pull of the car feels totally different..

Now i know the stock Gsr Intake Manifold has a secondary butterflies, which on the stock Gsr ecu opens up at 4400, and than vtech hits at 5700ish. its like i have 2 stages of vtec, the car pulls consistantly, pulls a tad harder at 4400, and even a bit more of a pull at 5700ish.... With the Gsr ecu controlling the butterflies, it felt like a constiant pull...

SOOOO with the JDM ITR ecu in the car, the car feels ok from low rpm, but dosent seem to have the exact same pull like the gsr ecu had (partly because i dont think my butterflies are being opened). But once i hit around 5800/6000 rpm's vtec hits like ive never felt before with this ITR ecu....

Ok so im ending with that, the GSR ecu has more low end (butterflies) pull and less of a top end pull, and the ITR ecu has less low end but a much strong top end..

Do you guys think im getting any avantages with this JDM ITR ECU, becides that it dosent have a secondary o2 sensor. is there anyhting i can do about the ITR ecu not controlling the butterflies, like somehow open them up all the time?

or should i ditch it and stick with m stock and save for a P28chipped

Oh and i know a dyno will only give me a true answer but im broke haha

PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THANKS H-T!!!!!

Modified by touchmyHONDA at 10:47 AM 3/29/2006
Old 03-29-2006, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 03-29-2006, 04:11 PM

I'm using the JDM ITR ecu for my b18c right now and like it a lot. I had the stock ecu in for a while and I don't think it ran as well. Never really felt it open up twice either though. I'd stick with the ITR ecu, I love when it kicks in at 5500
Old 03-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Gsr motor, with JDM ITR ecu comparrison (touchmyHONDA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by touchmyHONDA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ok so im ending with that, the GSR ecu has more low end (butterflies) pull and less of a top end pull, and the ITR ecu has less low end but a much strong top end..
Modified by touchmyHONDA at 10:47 AM 3/29/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your answer is right there, what is more important to you? Maybe if you're stuck in traffic all day then the GSR ecu would work better... or maybe if you drive all highway miles and like to let it rip, then the ITR ecu would work better.

Me personally, I would stick with the GSR ecu simply because it has more "useable" power. My car hardly ever sees anything above 5000rpm.

Different strokes for different folks.

james
Old 03-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah ur right ^

i love highway pulls haha
Old 03-30-2006, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (touchmyHONDA)

if you like the itr ecu, change out the intake manifold and eliminate the secondary butterflies
Old 03-30-2006, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you like the itr ecu, change out the intake manifold and eliminate the secondary butterflies</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i know, me and money are too good of friends tho
Old 03-30-2006, 08:52 AM

me and you have the reverse set-up. . i got an 98' usdm R with a gsr ecu.... pulls kinda good down low, but then bogs right after vtec engages up to around 6500, than at 7 it'll start pulling its hardest.... Wanna trade Ecu's.. jk
Old 03-30-2006, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gsr motor, with JDM ITR ecu comparrison (Ej1-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ej1-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">me and you have the reverse set-up. . i got an 98' usdm R with a gsr ecu.... pulls kinda good down low, but then bogs right after vtec engages up to around 6500, than at 7 it'll start pulling its hardest.... Wanna trade Ecu's.. jk </TD></TR></TABLE>

GTFO hahah jk if u were closer we could do a swap jsut for kicks, but ur far away lol.... get the itr ecu, stock ones are cheap enough. or get a chiped p28 (like i should do instread of what im doing but hey i got it free ).
Old 03-30-2006, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah that what im doing on my jdm gsr, w/ aebs mainfold
Old 03-30-2006, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gsr motor, with JDM ITR ecu comparrison (98ekhx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98ekhx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah that what im doing on my jdm gsr, w/ aebs mainfold </TD></TR></TABLE>

do u have it yet? if so do u like it, is it like the skunk2?
Old 03-30-2006, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to clear up a few things here...

The secondaries in the gsr are open by default, the spring holds them open. When the car starts the ecu gives either a ground or positive signal (pending on obd1/obd2) to a vacuum switch --&gt; vacuum goes to the valve on the side of the IM and forces the secondary butterfly's closed. The signal (either ground or positive) is removed at ~5700 rpm, vacuum goes away and secondaries open.

In a gsr vtec switches over at 4400 rpm while the secondaries are still closed.... if you haven't hooked up the secondaries yet and you're running on a p72 this is exactly why your car doesn't feel too impressive.

If you're planning on keeping the stock cams and IM of the GSR, switching to the ITR ecu will be pointless and likely slower.
If you're going to put cams and IM on then the ITR ecu wouldn't be a bad idea, but a chipped p28 would do the same job or better... I'd certainly stay with the p72 till I had a new IM on there...
Old 03-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Gsr motor, with JDM ITR ecu comparrison (miahmouse)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by miahmouse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just to clear up a few things here...

The secondaries in the gsr are open by default, the spring holds them open. When the car starts the ecu gives either a ground or positive signal (pending on obd1/obd2) to a vacuum switch --&gt; vacuum goes to the valve on the side of the IM and forces the secondary butterfly's closed. The signal (either ground or positive) is removed at ~5700 rpm, vacuum goes away and secondaries open.

In a gsr vtec switches over at 4400 rpm while the secondaries are still closed.... if you haven't hooked up the secondaries yet and you're running on a p72 this is exactly why your car doesn't feel too impressive.

If you're planning on keeping the stock cams and IM of the GSR, switching to the ITR ecu will be pointless and likely slower.
If you're going to put cams and IM on then the ITR ecu wouldn't be a bad idea, but a chipped p28 would do the same job or better... I'd certainly stay with the p72 till I had a new IM on there...</TD></TR></TABLE>

perfectly stated. i couldnt agree more.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ahhh only the dyno will really prove anything haha, who knows, im not keeping the IM or even the TB.

soon i hope to have an jdm itr TB (its 64mm i think if not its atleast 62mm) and getting a skunk2 or blox IM.

cams on the other hand will either be ITR/CTR combo or Jun's or Buddyclubs, but thats not for a long long time
Old 03-30-2006, 08:00 PM

I use to live out by Sheridan and if it's still the same there I would stick with the top end power Mostly long country roads to drive as fast as you want on.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:39 PM

Default Re: (sobecksi)

the reason why u think vtec hits harder with the itr ecu is that, you dont got ur butterflys any more. without them your mid rang is weaker.wen the mid rang is weaker, your vtec jump will feel stronger. but with the gsr ecu youll have more of a constand band n u dont feel that crazy *** jump from the itr.

also When i first drove a itr(and i have drove 2-3 of em) its i was like man this low/mid is kinda shitty, and then i hit vtec, and i was like oh ****
Old 03-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (djevolutionn1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djevolutionn1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the reason why u think vtec hits harder with the itr ecu is that, you dont got ur butterflys any more. without them your mid rang is weaker.wen the mid rang is weaker, your vtec jump will feel stronger. but with the gsr ecu youll have more of a constand band n u dont feel that crazy *** jump from the itr.

also When i first drove a itr(and i have drove 2-3 of em) its i was like man this low/mid is kinda shitty, and then i hit vtec, and i was like oh ****</TD></TR></TABLE>

True that, ITR's r sick as **** man, its a totally different animal than a gsr, its like the bigger brother that got better genes and used a bit of steroids... haha some one better use that as a signature

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sobecksi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use to live out by Sheridan and if it's still the same there I would stick with the top end power Mostly long country roads to drive as fast as you want on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i do mostly highway pulls, but i did take out a moded mustang gt (2000) on a tire with no problem from a stop light few days back, so i cant be loosing toooooo much low end power , and tonight i pulld pretty nicely from a S4 (the twin turbo v6 one) on IL90

for a local chicago guy
Old 03-30-2006, 11:39 PM

Old 03-31-2006, 05:01 AM

good stuff, I also raced a mustang the other day and embarrased him in front of his girlfriend. That's always hillarious.

Are there any good meets out where you live? Me and my buddies usually go to Schaumburg and thats getting old.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1561741
Old 03-31-2006, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the reason it feels like it pull harder around 5700 with the type r ecu is b/c at 4400 the butterflies never opened ...creating a huge power loss......anytime theres a powerloss before vtec you will hear/feel vtec pull harder
Old 04-03-2006, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hotimportcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotimportcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the reason it feels like it pull harder around 5700 with the type r ecu is b/c at 4400 the butterflies never opened ...creating a huge power loss......anytime theres a powerloss before vtec you will hear/feel vtec pull harder</TD></TR></TABLE>

no goddamit,
gsr ecu: 4400 vtec | 5700 butterflies open
Old 04-03-2006, 06:39 AM

Default Re: (miahmouse)

i agreee with the two guys who said your losing power.

when you feel vtec more that means theres a dip in power just before vtec. therfore you feel it more. the butt dyno is a horrible thing to go by
Old 04-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (djsire)

You're losing power.

If you want to keep the ITR ecu, get ITR cams and a Skunk2 IM or something along those lines. Then it will be beneficial.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hotimportcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the reason it feels like it pull harder around 5700 with the type r ecu is b/c at 4400 the butterflies never opened ...creating a huge power loss......anytime theres a powerloss before vtec you will hear/feel vtec pull harder</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually by default, they remain open all the time. With that ecu, the butterfiles are constantly open since it's not sending the signal to close them.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by miahmouse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no goddamit,
gsr ecu: 4400 vtec | 5700 butterflies open</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i switched back today, and i honestly cant tell which one i like better:

better high end, or better low end

i should just get a jrsc and stop ****** around lol

Quick Reply: Gsr motor, with JDM ITR ecu comparrison