Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

gsr cams in b16a2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gsr cams in b16a2?

i got given to me some gsr cams and head, wanting a lil more power, would the cams help me out in my b16??
Old 10-01-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: gsr cams in b16a2?

yes. they are more aggressive lift but it wont be like a stg 1 or anything wild.
2 people i know have done it and they can tell a dif though.
if you have them drop them in.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^exactly. B16A cams are the worst of the OEM b-series cams. GSR are definitely better.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would definitely recommend droppin em in
Old 10-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

would definitely recommend droppin em in X2

i got a set in my b16a2 swapped eg and i definitly noticed the difference, vtec kicks in harder !
Old 10-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

for all the people that talk....i'd love to see a dyno actually showing a difference
Old 10-02-2010, 04:15 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

do you need a dyno to tell the difference .????
the dyno will only tell figures and not how the car drives. there may be 1 - 2 hp diffference but in real world driving you can tell so much difference. dyno is not the be all and end all of mods.
if you car drove better but made 1 more horsepower but all the torque came in 1000rpm lower it would make a huge difference but to a Dyno ***** it would be pointless.
basically you do not need to dyno to tell the difference. if people say they can feel a difference then they can whats the problem with other people making slight mods and being happy about it. why put people down about this.

swap them buddy you'll be happy with it.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by surefeelsgood
do you need a dyno to tell the difference .????

if you car drove better but made 1 more horsepower but all the torque came in 1000rpm lower it would make a huge difference but to a Dyno ***** it would be pointless.
Are you kidding me??

I see people do mods all the time thinking they've done some great upgrade. Some parts add hp but loose tq...some change the power band so there is a spike in power making it feel faster, when in reality the original part made more power everywhere else.

A dyno show how much hp and tq is made or lost, and for how long!! Cams are an especially great part to dyno and tune, you don't just go around throwing what ever profiles in your engine with the same ecu spark and fuel curves in hopes of more power through your butt dyno, LOL.....omg, too funny
Old 10-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have the whole head why not just throw that on there.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the butt dyno is way more accurate tho deetz
Old 10-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I heard it gives around 2hp to the wheel + but not really sure would like to know.. but i would rather just get some ctr cams or maybe 00 spec itr.. but gsr's are cheap and if they make a lil diff than it would be a good cheap upgrade?
Old 10-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dmeconitas
If you have the whole head why not just throw that on there.
maybe cuz its way too much work for the benefit? maybe he doesn't want to use the ugly and big GSR intake manifold? LOL change headgasket etc.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by 300whpej
the butt dyno is way more accurate tho deetz
ha ha, i wish it was that easy The Type R manifold is a great example of a bolt on people think makes more power. It has a peak spike around 8000rpm, people think it's faster, but it's not, plus the dyno proves that

Originally Posted by _KushedOutEm1
I heard it gives around 2hp to the wheel + but not really sure would like to know.. but i would rather just get some ctr cams or maybe 00 spec itr.. but gsr's are cheap and if they make a lil diff than it would be a good cheap upgrade?
You don't even know if they make any more power at all. Some people even throw in ITR cams and actually loose power on B16 engines, lol....nevermind a gsr cams
Old 10-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got the cams for free thats why i was wanting to put them in but if ill loose power i dont wanna put them in,i just wanna add them if its going to help even if its just a little
Old 10-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

question, if gsr cams are better then why do people put b16 heads on b18 blocks and call them the poor man's type r?
Old 10-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by silverwrench
question, if gsr cams are better then why do people put b16 heads on b18 blocks and call them the poor man's type r?
b16 heads have a better flow rate than the gsr head does
Old 10-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by 4doorteggy
b16 heads have a better flow rate than the gsr head does
This is true ever so slightly at high rpm....but the gsr head flows better at low rpm. is one better than the othr.............NO!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Only time u can call the B18C1/B16 head combo a legit "poor-man's type-r" is if you have the ITR pistons and the ITR cams too. as far as the ITR intake manifold Deetz is 100% correct. also, on the B16/GSR head difference in flow. no REAL NOTICEABLE difference.

to chadeleehonda: just throw the GSR cams in :D
Old 10-03-2010, 04:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Deetz
Are you kidding me??

I see people do mods all the time thinking they've done some great upgrade. Some parts add hp but loose tq...some change the power band so there is a spike in power making it feel faster, when in reality the original part made more power everywhere else.

A dyno show how much hp and tq is made or lost, and for how long!! Cams are an especially great part to dyno and tune, you don't just go around throwing what ever profiles in your engine with the same ecu spark and fuel curves in hopes of more power through your butt dyno, LOL.....omg, too funny
i don't doubt that fact but.. i really think you took my comment to heart mate chill out a bit yeah.
just because the people you know and have heard of, cant tell the difference in their engines performance does not mean all of us cannot.

as i said the dyno is not the be all and end all ???
For example i put a decat on my starlet gt turbo and upped the boost by 0.1 psi on my boost controller. it felt quicker and the boost seemed to come in lower and the tourque was far more aggressive and easier to drive with this tourque being lower. i tested this my self with a simple 50mph - 80mph pull in 4th gear on the same stretch of road and timed it. it was quicker......

took it to the local tuner for a dyno run and it had made 8-9hp more all across the rev range and the tourque came in at 2300rpm before it came in at 3000rpm simply with a decat and upping of boost by 0.1 psi. so clearly i could tell the difference. It CAN be done by simple testing
yeah maybe people cannot feel a 1 - 2 hp increase but at the end of the day a 2hp increase is the difference between driving in 7 Degrees C as opposed to 30 Degrees C

i just don't get why you have to put things like "HAHA"
can't you just be a grown up and say actually i believe different is there really any point in putting " are you kidding me " as clearly by my comment i was not. are you trying to look cool infront of your buddies as you don;t know me because to me mate its pathectic, please come back to me with an intelligent comment that i will appreciate even if your opinion is different if you can put it across in an honest manner i have no problem.

Last edited by surefeelsgood; 10-03-2010 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No drama lol. The "butt dyno" can be misleading. Does that mean you cannot feel a diffrence in performance? Sure you can but, without dyno tuning you cannot really know for certian where you are getting the additional power or if your losing in other area of the RPM band. You could just be "feeling" a spike of tourqe which is really what you ultimately feel as the driver.... TQ.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by surefeelsgood
i don't doubt that fact but.. i really think you took my comment to heart mate chill out a bit yeah.
just because the people you know and have heard of, cant tell the difference in their engines performance does not mean all of us cannot.

as i said the dyno is not the be all and end all ???
Looks like i stuck a nerve in you, for such a response. You must be young and think you know it all or better than everyone else, typical.

For a person to downplay a true dyno which it th best way to finely tune a non stock vehicle where you change a mechanical part of an engine, is ridiculous! In this case we are talking about cams which are basically the mechanical brains of the engine. By changing them out for a different profile and duration which basically dictates when a vale opens, closes, and how far it opens and closes, can change both spark and fuel curves.

Sure, gsr cams are pretty close to a B16 pair of cams, so tuning probably won't matter, but don't downplay tuning and say you have some special sense with your butt dyno and say you can feel what others can't, and hope the current ecu will just run whatever......once again, lol
Old 10-05-2010, 05:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

"You must be young and think you know it all or better than everyone else, typical."
Typical of what sorry?????
looks like i hit a nerve with you sorry for that, but ya don't have to go and bash me as a person.........if you read my comment it does say within the first line I think you took my comment to heart chill out a bit
this is not a rant i am discussing this with you.

i stated it is possible to tell the difference between engine mods without having to strap your car to a dyno that where i live would be a 150mile round trip and then pay £180 an hour to have it tested for something that may have given me 5hp more. what i am saying is that you do not need to dyno a car to tell if it is quicker or made a difference....simple tests can be used to determine this.
if you are going for tuner cams then yeah of course a dyno should be used otherwise it is dangerous but to go to a dyno just for putting some gsr cams in i think is over killas the adjustments should not be far off anyway and thats how you learn.....
i thought the idea was that they are very similar so would not need lots of fine tuning therefore perfect for the beginer modifier.
also i do not remember stating that i had some inate ability to tell the HP gain of my engine i merely used an example where i could tell that it had made a bit more power and got it tested and it did on that occasion.
please don't take offence again i am merely discussing my opinion with you.

CHADLEEHONDA- you gonna get these cams fitted then would be nice to know what they make over stock.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

The biggest problem with doing mods to your engine with no tune at all for certain mods that a butt dyno will never tell you is adding a part that can lean out your fuel mixture. You can blow an engine if it runs too lean. Timing is equally important when changing cam profiles....this is why dyno time is important.

Although as i mentioned before, a gsr cam profile probably won't change things much, and retuning the engine probably won't be needed, but it definitely would if running an aftermarket performance set.

Going back to my original post, i would love to see on a dyno as a baseline, then the gsr cams swapped in to see an actual result...weather it be the same, more, or a loss of power
Old 10-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

...sorry surefeelsgood but a butt dyno is a fail majorly. if butt dynos were soooo accurate i wouldn't pay someone 100+ bucks an hour to tune my b16.
dynos are NOT just to test out new parts for a new higher hp/tq number. its so when you have things like chrome/hondata you can tell your ECU that now you've got a bigger header/exhaust and cams that can hold it. least thats what i use my dyno for...
you assuming it made more power(somewhere) it may not be in the actual useable power band or you may have lost some of it. or gained some. your just guessing without a dyno. faster isn't that helpful.

also you see the problem with your self test is its alll on you. how you shift when you shift when you hit the timer when you hit the stop button. endless amounts of variables that could make you faster/slower/ or the same.
you won't drive that far for 5hp but you will for 8-9(questionable) hp?

dynos + 1/4 mile times are pretty much the end all. and not for the feeling but the times.

to the op. if you have the mechanical knowledge and really feel like bothering with it drop em in. it won't be too noticable of a difference but you'll see something. btw vtec should be a smooth crossover not hit harder.

lastly the b16/gsr/itr thing(only for stock, anything machined is different). b16 is best on a b16. the gsr did better on a gsr. size is what comes into play here. 1.6 for 1.6 not 1.8. the ITR IM is only good if its ported/machined. even then it'd be better to find a p30.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Again mate i never said they are accurate i never ever said this at all.
the tests i did.
1.no shifting involved
2.no timer button used
3. same strecth of road accelerating from the same lamp post marker from 50mph in 3th gear up to 80mph with a gps timer which starts timing the split second i hit 51mph and then stops when the gps speed is 80mph its an ap on my laptop so with regards to timing they are absolutely spot on. but i know what you mean about variables yes.
also i never said i would drive to a tuner for 8-9 hp but not for 5hp
i said i took the car to have a test run as i felt it made a difference the mods i did and it did i said i would not have taken it if i thought it was minor improvement.
fair enough it was a turbo car so its easier to tell when boost kicks in and such parameters but with N/A it is trickier.
i agree with everything you said made and have never said otherwise, thing is you say "faster isn't that helpful" but then go on to say 1/4 mile times and dyno's are the end all, so in effect you have stated that faster is not better but from what i remeber the faster the 1/4 mile time the better right ? cause surely a time could be quicker but you could be running dangerously lean like deetz said.
or do you mean together they are the best test as that makes sense.
sorry not pulling it apart jstt trying to determine what you mean.

Quick Reply: gsr cams in b16a2?