Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve??

what's the final verdict, from people who have done this, i've heard from several people that the 96 hatch and the 99-00 si prop valves are exactly the same, i've heard from other people that the part numbers are the same but the inner valving is different..please clear up this question. thanks.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve?? (SuperCivic)

bump as i need to know as well.. !! peace.. !!
Old 08-25-2004, 06:46 AM

If the part # is the same then its the same , call honda or acura and get them to look it up for you on the part # and see if they have diff specs on em , best way to to call and prove us wrong if we are
Old 08-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ReDRoCkEt)

ok, i called manchester honda today and spoke with someone..turns out the prop valve on a 96 hatch is the SAME valve that's on a 99-00 si. awesome!
Old 08-26-2004, 05:46 PM

Default Re: (SuperCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, i called manchester honda today and spoke with someone..turns out the prop valve on a 96 hatch is the SAME valve that's on a 99-00 si. awesome!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice! Odd tho, but nice.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:38 PM

cool... i did the swap on my 96 midor green hatch too... and was wondering if i needed that.... but what do you think about the brake booster? i hear i should get a integra brake booster cause it will make the brake ped. a lil tighter..

tuan
Old 08-26-2004, 06:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve?? (SuperCivic)

NO you do NOT need the prop. valve
Old 08-27-2004, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Acoupdetat)

it looks like it's the same booster on the si that's on my dx. the master cylinder on my hatch is a 13/16..i'll be installing the slightly larger 7/8 si master cylinder.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

note that it's the same deal for all the 96-00 hatches only. coupes and sedans need it replaced when going to disk...
Old 09-08-2004, 08:22 PM
* B A N N E D *

THe 96 hatch has DRUMS in the back. THe 99-00 Si has DISCS in the back. WIth the disc brakes on a civic, you use the 4040 prop valve. If you put on any discs on the back , regardless of the front, whether they be GSR, or ITR or what, you need a 4040 valve. If you have GSR brakes on your all 4 wheels, you should get that Si 4040 valve. This changes brake distribution. Also, if you change, you'll notice less nose dive. So in short, i HIGHLY reccomend this and consider it essential. However, you car will brake with your stock prop valve, just not as well as it should. still better than the drums.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve?? (Redline96LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">THe 96 hatch has DRUMS in the back. THe 99-00 Si has DISCS in the back. WIth the disc brakes on a civic, you use the 4040 prop valve. If you put on any discs on the back , regardless of the front, whether they be GSR, or ITR or what, you need a 4040 valve. If you have GSR brakes on your all 4 wheels, you should get that Si 4040 valve. This changes brake distribution. Also, if you change, you'll notice less nose dive. So in short, i HIGHLY reccomend this and consider it essential. However, you car will brake with your stock prop valve, just not as well as it should. still better than the drums. </TD></TR></TABLE>

STFU... Read above posts! It's the same goddam part!
Old 09-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would recommend getting the 98+ integra 1" master cylinder and booster.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:57 PM

Default Re: GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve?? (Jackson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jackson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would recommend getting the 98+ integra 1" master cylinder and booster. </TD></TR></TABLE>

But don't those use ABS?
Old 09-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve?? (fEEsh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fEEsh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But don't those use ABS?</TD></TR></TABLE>
It doesn't matter. It bolts right up. There is no modification needed.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve?? (Jackson)

i've installed the front and rear gsr brakes now, but i'm doing the master cylinder today..the pedal pushed down an extra inch or two with the stock MC, i hope the 7/8 MC will shorten that up!
Old 09-09-2004, 03:03 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've heard from other people that the part numbers are the same but the inner valving is different</TD></TR></TABLE>
Whoever told you that is quite possibly the biggest moron to walk the face of the earth.

If the part numbers are the same, then it is the same part - no matter what you're talking about. There can never be two different parts with the same part number.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:07 AM

Default Re: GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve?? (EeeJaySixxx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EeeJaySixxx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the 7/8 will feel awesome. i barely have to touch my brake pedal to get the brakes to bite. just make sure you bench bleed the master cylinder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bench bleed? how do you do that
Old 09-09-2004, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve?? (EeeJaySixxx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NO you do NOT need the prop. valve</TD></TR></TABLE>

he has RACED without one for quite some time now, I highly doubt he would race with it like that if it was utterly necessary
Old 09-09-2004, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

installed the 7/8 mc today..turns out i had air in the rear brakes, causing the mushy pedal. i bench bled the MC before installing it..the brakes feel awesome, although i didn't use them much because i drove the car straight to the alignment shop to get everything aligned. i'll start a new thread with the highlights of the GSR brakes on EK install, after i get my car back tomorrow.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:35 PM

Default Re: GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve?? (chad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NO you do NOT need the prop. valve</TD></TR></TABLE>

I race with Chad in my 97 hatch, stock porp valve, 99 SI front and rear disk conversion, ITR M/C and booster.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:35 AM

Default Re: GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve?? (6ghatch)

you dont need anything swap the rear brakes and ebrake cables and your done, i been riding this way for over 2 years now, no problems.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:46 AM

Default Re: GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve?? (mb96civic)

I have done this swap also and I love the feeling of better brakes. I have an EX coupe 97 so I needed the si 40/40 prop valve and it made a world of difference. I plan on getting an ITR master cylinder because everyone says they will bolt right up but for now my MC is the same diameter as an si and also the booster is the same. I don't know about hatches but I'm glad to see that alot of people are doing this rear disc conversion. It is nice and easy wqith minimal cost to get better braking. Only problem for me is now I have a clunking sound whenever I brake coming from my rear passenger brake. It isn't the normal caliper is loose because I tryed to tighten it and even took it to a shop and they couldn't find out either. I am just going to get my calipers rebuilt with some brembo blanks and axis pads this winter. Enjoy the better braking guys
Old 09-10-2004, 11:33 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve?? (Wicker Man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wicker Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I plan on getting an ITR master cylinder because everyone says they will bolt right up but for now my MC is the same diameter as an si and also the booster is the same. I don't know about hatches but I'm glad to see that alot of people are doing this rear disc conversion. It is nice and easy wqith minimal cost to get better braking.</TD></TR></TABLE>
From what I have seen, the ITR master cylinder will not bolt up to the '96-00 Civic booster; I believe you need the ITR booster.

As far as rear discs vs. drums, they don't do much of anything for braking power; they're just easier to work on, and there is a much larger selection of performance pads than shoes.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:51 PM

Default Re: GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve?? (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

As far as rear discs vs. drums, they don't do much of anything for braking power; they're just easier to work on, and there is a much larger selection of performance pads than shoes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly
Old 09-10-2004, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve?? (Wicker Man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wicker Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know about hatches but I'm glad to see that alot of people are doing this rear disc conversion.</TD></TR></TABLE>
What about the front disc conversion? Integras/SI coupes have bigger front brakes as well. 80% of braking is done by the front brakes.

Quick Reply: GSR brakes on 96 EK..do i really need a Si prop valve??