Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Got my Z6 Block back from the machine shop and now the crank won't turn freely? WTF.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my Z6 Block back from the machine shop and now the crank won't turn freely? WTF.

So I picked up a new block a few weeks back now and tore it down to rebuild. One of the bolts for the water pump snapped so I dropped it off at the machine shop. While there they replaced the main seal (crank seal) for me and installed the pump. Before I dropped it off I was able to move the flex plate (Auto) just fine, when it returned I couldn't budge the thing. Now when attempting to put the crank in, it's almost next to impossible to spin the crank to get the pistons TDC. Any ideas? Would over tightening the bolts to the flex plate cause this? Every thing is together but the head, Oil pan has never been removed since there were no leaks. The shop did drain the oil but I put some back in before we attempted to turn anything. Thanks
Old 05-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Got my Z6 Block back from the machine shop and now the crank won't turn freely? W

if they disassembled it. most likely one of the pistons with the rings were installed wrong and is now binding, this will scratch the cylinder wall

if the machine shop put it together, you need to take it back so they can re-hone it
Old 05-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got my Z6 Block back from the machine shop and now the crank won't turn freely? W

They didn't put the pistons in or anything. All the block went to the machine shop for was to fix a snapped off bolt in the water pump section. While it was there I had them put in a new main seal, so they had to remove the flex plate. Everything else was already in the block and working perfectly.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abcdefg123
Now when attempting to put the crank in,
I don't get it, you had them replace the main seal and THEN attempted to put the crank in?

Is the head installed? Is the water pump/timing belt installed?
Old 05-29-2011, 08:18 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Stop posting and take the engine back NOW.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Stop posting and take the engine back NOW.
Unless it's something he did...
Old 05-29-2011, 08:29 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by strategy400
Unless it's something he did...
Could be...
Would explain why it's didn't go immediately back to the shop.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, rushed posting that last night. The CRANK PULLEY is what I'm not talking about, not the entire crank assembly. Anyway, I removed the head before I dropped it off since I had an already re-decked and re-sealed head from the previous motor. The oil pan, oil filter, and oil pump were still on the block and I even had oil in the pan. I actually completely forgot about that when he called and asked since I guess he tried to spin it and some spilt out from the ports but he drained it all since I was going to throw fresh oil in anyway. Got it back and a day later I went to install everything. Immediately after getting it back home though I noticed the flex plate didn't budge so much compared to before when I was able to move that to move the pistons to TDC if needed. I thought maybe it was because it was re-torqued down and I needed to get the pulley back on first, well upon getting to that point last night the damn thing will not budge, well maybe a hair to the left and right but that's it.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also for those saying to take the block back to the shop now, etc. That would be nice except for the fact they are closed on the weekend and will be closed Monday (Today). Anyway, I pulled it back out tonight and plan to drop it off Tuesday or so to figure out what the deal is, this doesn't make sense to me nor anyone else I know.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've always been able to grasp the flex plate with my hands and turn it even with the head and timing belt on as long as there no spark plugs. Something is jamming it up.