Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Got my ECU code, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got my ECU code, now what?

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum so I don't know if this has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find any helpful information.

I recently bought an '02 Civic LX with 38,000 miles on it. The engine maint. light came on so I got it scanned at Autozone. Their OBDII scanner said code "P 1298 Fuel Air Metering". I looked at your code list in this forum and it said code P 1298 was "Electric Load Detector (ELD) Circuit High Voltage". Can anyone tell me which is the problem and how I can fix it? I've never worked on this car before but I would like to fix the problem myself if possible.

A little background on myself, I'm an experienced mechanic... My other vehicle is a 90 Jeep Cherokee w/ 5" of lift, 32" mud tires, rear locker, 4.0L engine stroked to 4.6L w/ lots of other goodies.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Got my ECU code, now what? (Jam Master Jay)

Surely someone has had this trouble code before? Any help at all is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:42 AM

http://autorepair.about.com/li...b.htm

Jam Master sorry it took so long to get an answer. I wasn't watching.
Actually I cam across your post in search for my own asnwers.

Hope that it helps.
Scott
Old 05-05-2004, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Got my ECU code, now what? (CRneXt)

Thanks very much Scott, that's really helpful. Now I just have to do a little diagnosis.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:49 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

How many miles does this car have?

I'm going to look your code up on my All-Data computer program and see what's up.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Okay I just looked up the diag flow chart for this code, and it's pretty damn involved.

It requires a shitload of testing with a 3 pin connector and checking voltages, etc.

After checking the voltage under a number of different circumstances the conclusion ends up at replacing or updating the PCM (ECU) software if the voltage still isn't within specs after all testing is done.

I cannot save the file or else I'd do so and post it as an IMG file. About the best I can do is print it, scan it at home, and then host it and post it and see if it's something that you can do.

The best advice I can give you would be to get your VIN number, call your delaership, and ask them if your car is under any warranty extensions for such an engine code depending on your mileage.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Got my ECU code, now what? (B18C5-EH2)

B18C5-EH2, Thanks very much! Anymore input you can give me is greatly appreciated. I'm gonna get my multi-meter out tonight and do some testing. Hopefully it will just be a blown fuse or something. Even if it did require updating the software, that'd be a lot better than replacing the ECU or the fuse panel assembly.

I will call some dealers for input tomorrow if I don't find a simple solution to this tonight. I'm just going to spend some time tonight going over this car with a fine tooth comb. I know every inch of my XJ but I haven't had much time to look over this Civic.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:00 PM

I checked all my fuses and gave the car a general looking over. All fuses are fine and all electric stuff operates normally. All wiring is fine. I couldn't even find anything that could be identified as an Electric Load Detector but I suppose it could be up inside the fusebox panel under the hood. I will try calling dealers tomorrow to see what they can tell me, but if anyone here has experienced this before I'd greatly appreciate any information that can be provided. Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2004, 03:10 PM

Take a look at the wire harness under the intake manifold. the harness will rub aginst the support bracket that goes from the block to the manifold and short curcuit. sometimes the vss fuse will blow (underdash box). hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Got my ECU code, now what? (jfastman)

The light has now gone off so I believe jiggling the fuses solved my problem. I went over every inch of under-hood wiring to ensure that the insulation wasn't rubbed off anywhere and that no wires were shorting to ground.
Thanks to all of you who helped me chase down this problem!

Is there any way I can dump the ECU codes and see if this pops up again? I don't want to disconnect the battery or anything if it's not going to get rid of the stored codes.