Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Got hit on passenger side, first accident, what do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got hit on passenger side, first accident, what do I do?

Hey, I was driving with my friends. And I made a left turn on to a main road. I got to the right lane, and there was a black Hyundai Elantra stopped at the exit of a parking lot. All of a sudden my friend yells, and I look over. He starts coming right at me! So I swerve into the right lane, but it was too late. He hit my passenger door.
The guy was really old, like 78. And he was really appologetic at the time he said that it was his fault. He even said that he was looking in the mirror., We got all his info, and went to the police station to make a report. The cop said that since it was a minor incident that noone will get a ticket or anything. He was driving a rental, since his other car has also been in an accident , his car only had some scratches on the left front bumper, but my whole door is fucked up. The side impact beam is exposed, and the door doesn't open anymore. THere is alos some damage on the rear quarter panel where the door meets it.
He has State Farm Insurance, and I called them, but he had already made the claim. They called me yesterday, and asked what happened. The woman said to let my insurance company know so they could "represent" me. And I also hear that the old man is now changing his story and blaming me for the accident.
I am really confused, this is my first accident, and I don't know how this whole process works. Are they going to try to screw me? I'm pissed because I was going to sell the car soon, and this is going to delay it like crazy. If everything goes well, how long does it usually take to fix the car? THanks for your time.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Got hit on passenger side, first accident, what do I do? (Mjfan12)

Just tell them the truth. That way nothing can come back and bite you in the ***. Also you have your friends as witnesses, and also a police report. So you should be straight. And seeing that the guy was driving a rental car since he wrecked his personal car, That alone shows that he dose not know how to drive.
Old 01-17-2004, 01:57 PM

If it is his fault and u was wanting to sell it then u might have lucked out and the car could be totaled but idk what all you have done or how much money you have into it but im sure that a 94 dx if thats what car you are talking about is only worth a few thousand. Im not for sure how much it would be to fix but it would need a new skin and beam and if it was done right then it would be blended into the front door and with 1/4 damage the 1/4 would have to be cleared. Just remember if its paid off you can choose where you want it fixed at so honda dealership or if you know an estimator that could write you a high estimate and id try to get as much as possible since that old guys trying to screw you by saying its your fault
Old 01-17-2004, 02:03 PM

yeah, I only want like 2000 for the car anyway. I'm going to use the money and put 5000 down on something else. The car is paid off. I am just pissed because I got HIT. I didn't hit him. THe cop even said that he was more at fault because of the point of impact rule or something.
I was just concerned by the insurance woman's tone, like I am going to have to fight for the money or something. All I want is my **** fixed, or totalled or whatever.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:00 PM

Did you already call your insurance? I'm assuming that the lady you spoke with was from the old man's insurance company. Of course she's going to speak to you like that because she is representing HIM and it's her job to make sure HE wins the case. You have to contact your own insurance and let them know the story. It would also be helpful to look into what kind of collision coverage you got and how much the deductible is. For example, if your deductible is $1000 and the damage is only worth $750, the money comes out of your own pocket. They will only pay whatever is in excess of $1000. Just be very accurate with your story and hopefully things will work out in your favor. What the cop was saying is that the insurance can look at the collision point and from that, figure out he was the one who hit you anyway. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2004, 04:20 PM

I didn't have a chance to call my company yet, but I will tommarow if they're open. It sucks having a crappy insurance scompany.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:25 PM

Default Re: (Mjfan12)

Yo you have a buyer for your car?
I think i can hlep you out with that and your accident, for I have gotten into my first one about a month ago also.
You got AIM?
Mine is SpoonSport12
Old 01-17-2004, 04:26 PM

Default Re: (Mjfan12)

I wouldn't tell your insureance anything. If he hit you and the police wrote down him at fault then your insurance has nothing to do with it, end of story. I would take it to a Body Shop as soon as possible and get and estimate. Don't let his insureance do it first or you will be screwed out of money. YOU CAN ALWAYS CALL YOUR INSURANCE LATER. You have proof if there was a police report, the guy can't change his story, its already been written.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:01 PM

There shouldnt be a prob of getting 2k out of it if its totaled cause if there is over 1000 dollars in damage i bet it would get totaled out and by what it seems there would be. Example I just did a door skin on a stratus and it payed me around 15 hours just to fix it and the painter around 10 hours so thats 25 hours so that alone is more then a thousand in just labor and that doesnt include the new skin. If you want it totaled id take it to the honda dealership cause when i took mine in once for a very little damage around the door handle which wasnt even that noticable it was 950 dollars so i just had the insurance write the check in my name and fixed it myself. I wouldnt let your insurance company know if you dont have to and if the other guy is at fault then you wouldnt have to pay for your deductable so best of luck for u
Old 01-17-2004, 05:03 PM

Default Re: (SLeePeR012)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLeePeR012 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yo you have a buyer for your car?
I think i can hlep you out with that and your accident, for I have gotten into my first one about a month ago also.
You got AIM?
Mine is SpoonSport12 </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, I have AIM its MJFAN123

Thanks for all your input as well. You guys are real cool
Old 01-17-2004, 05:43 PM

just chill, everyone gets in accidents... ive had my fill and im only 17... but get an estimate asap... and then go right after their insurance company... im sure its only a couple hundered dollars, but they'll boost it because its going through the insurance company... be sure to contact your insurance company right away and tell them exactly what happened so they can be ready and have a claim # waiting... also bring a copy of the accident report to your insurance company...
good luck bro
Jay Kiernan Bronx NY....

98 GSX RIP 6-19-03
Old 01-17-2004, 05:47 PM

You Should Be ok as long as u made the report with the police, he cant change the story up, it wont work, just be cool and tell what really happened, and besides its automatically his fault for hitting you, you didnt hit him...